Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:37 PM

13 posts, read 52,699 times

Advertisements

I have a few weeks off in June and was thinking about doing a southwest road trip. My initial plan is to fly into Vegas and stay a day or two before heading to Phoenix for a few days. From there I'll head to L.A. for a couple of days before heading back to Vegas to fly out.

While I'm driving in between these destinations, I would like to explore and put my DSLR camera to work. I already have Death Valley and Monument Valley on my hit list. I'd like to find some historical sites, desert landscapes, quirky tourist attractions or anything to do with the southwest culture. Keep in mind they do not have to be on the most direct route between my destinations. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:07 PM

148 posts, read 757,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnick77 View Post
I'd like to find some historical sites, desert landscapes, quirky tourist attractions or anything to do with the southwest culture.
The desert landscapes should be plentiful On you way down from Monument Valley you could take 89 South out of Flagstaff. Sedona and Jerome are photo friendly places.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:59 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
Ok you asked for ideas.
I love doing the I-15 South into calif just a few miles you come to Nipton Road also know as the 164 road take it over to Searchlight turn right (South) hwy 95 about 13 miles is Christmas Tree pass turn left its dirt but usually in good condition for cars. Most every pullout has a trail to explore petroglyphs but Grapevine Canyon is the best one.the road ends at hwy 163 where you can turn left into Bullhead City. South on 95 to Boundry Cone Road turn left and up into Oatman. I have not been on Silver Creek Road in awhile but usually is a good route and closer into Bullhead City. After exploring Oatman I would drop back into Topock grab a quick bite at the marina.
Continue south to Lake Havasu on down and explore Bill Williams National wildlife area usually green and lots of water fowl out and about.
Then on down into Parker south on 95 still into Quartsite. left on I-10 into Phoenix. Could suggest more but the above will take a full day to do.
Ok onto Death Valley
(pass required area)
We like camping at Thorndike or Mahogany flat campgrounds, looks out over the valley. its near Wildrose. the Borax twenty mule wagon is a nice spot just keep in mind Furnace Creek gets hot and carry plenty of drinking water. So many great areas I would also suggest getting into Baker and stoping for rest at the Mad Greek.
Now you are almost into the Mohave national preserve and the visitors center in Cima is very interesting plus if its raining the desert tortises will be out and about and they end up along or into the park roads there.
Any questions feel free to ask. I have driven and explored so much of the country I just described and lots more.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
Since you're flying to Vegas are you renting a car? Most car rental contracts have language about not taking the car across state lines.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:47 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Since you're flying to Vegas are you renting a car? Most car rental contracts have language about not taking the car across state lines.
Just check withthe rental agency when you rent/reserve the car. It's never been a iaaue with the rental cars I've had when I rented in one state and dropped in another.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
What?! I haven't had to rent a car for quite a few years. Is that something new? If it's true, it's totally unbelievable! Any link?

Old 02-19-2008, 01:19 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
You can take a rental across state lines. Many Arizonans who head out of state on the road go to SD, LA, or LV. As long as you keep the car in Southern California and Las Vegas you will be fine.

I don't know about Utah or New Mexico, though.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:53 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times
Oh, do check out the Salton Sea (between Phx & LA). Bizarre and interesting.

There is a grand state park there....can't recall the name but if you google Salton Sea you will figure it out. Borrego Springs has a LOVELY upscale hotel in the midst of this park. If you like hiking, but want some luxury check it out. Sorry I don't have the name.

While in Phx you must go to the Mystery Castle. It's in south Phx. Fee is $5.00. What a hoot. An old house built by a kook whose 80 year old daughter (who dresses like she is a member of Abba) runs the tour.

Heard Museum in Phx. Spend an hour or so and see some fantastic native american artifacts.

If you have time go panning for gold up by Wickenburg. It is quite fun!

Sedona has sadly been discovered by goofballs with money....but it is so beautiful...it's only 2 hours (less) from Phx and would make a great day trip.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Oatman Arizona is kind'a quirky. Depending on what route you take and the amount of time you alot you may want to consider stopping by there. Old Route 66 is always kind of interesting to experience.

Ken

Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSet View Post
The desert landscapes should be plentiful On you way down from Monument Valley you could take 89 South out of Flagstaff. Sedona and Jerome are photo friendly places.
I'll second that one. 89A is one of the country's nicest drives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona