Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,391,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
You can take a rental across state lines. Many Arizonans who head out of state on the road go to SD, LA, or LV. As long as you keep the car in Southern California and Las Vegas you will be fine.

I don't know about Utah or New Mexico, though.
I've taken a rental car in the past to CA and CO. Never occurred to me it can be an issue... I know there are problems with taking a rental to another country, but never to another state. As a matter of fact, some people are paid as far as I know to take rentals from coast to coast (after the car's been left there after a one-way trip).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:59 AM

13,356 posts, read 21,979,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Most car rental contracts have language about not taking the car across state lines.
While I don't have any rental car contracts in front of me, I seriously doubt that. All the rental car companies have their policies on-line, usually in the form of a FAQ. None of them say not to take their cars across state borders. The only one that comes close is Budget who says that certain locations may have restrictions and to ask first. The rest of them (e.g., National, Avis, Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty, Enterprise) say nothing about taking their vehicles over state borders. I've rented hundreds of cars on business travel, and the issue never once came up.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
While I don't have any rental car contracts in front of me, I seriously doubt that. All the rental car companies have their policies on-line, usually in the form of a FAQ. None of them say not to take their cars across state borders. The only one that comes close is Budget who says that certain locations may have restrictions and to ask first. The rest of them (e.g., National, Avis, Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty, Enterprise) say nothing about taking their vehicles over state borders. I've rented hundreds of cars on business travel, and the issue never once came up.
Didn't think so. Thanks for confirming it, kdog.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,502,397 times
The only issue arose when I rented a Hertz unit wanted to cross over into Canada but discovered that was a no no. We drove that mini van through every western state racked up 5000 miles and they just smiled when we returned it. only went over the mileage by 500 or so miles. No issues at all when we asked about the different states we would be driving through.
Now in Alaska we were restricted to paved roads only, no off pavement driving allowed.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
The only issue arose when I rented a Hertz unit wanted to cross over into Canada but discovered that was a no no. We drove that mini van through every western state racked up 5000 miles and they just smiled when we returned it. only went over the mileage by 500 or so miles. No issues at all when we asked about the different states we would be driving through.
Now in Alaska we were restricted to paved roads only, no off pavement driving allowed.
Well, driving into another country is a different story.

What do you mean by this?

Quote:
only went over the mileage by 500 or so miles
Don't tell me unlimited mileage is gone!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:43 PM

13 posts, read 52,821 times
Wow, that's a lot of great info keep it coming. I looked into taking a rental car across state lines and you can do it. Enterprise gives you 150 free miles a day if you take it out of state, I assume it's unlimited within the state? Anyway, I don't see it being a problem.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:54 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,042,147 times
Definitely 89A through Jerome ghost town, and then hit Prescott while you are at it. LOTS of western history there...the Earps and Doc Holliday frequented the town back when, and it was the Territorial capitol. Fun place to spend a day...on Whiskey Row, the Sharlot Hall Museum, and just seeing the old Victorian Homes and such. It is also extremely scenic!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM

13,356 posts, read 21,979,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnick77 View Post
Wow, that's a lot of great info keep it coming. I looked into taking a rental car across state lines and you can do it. Enterprise gives you 150 free miles a day if you take it out of state, I assume it's unlimited within the state? Anyway, I don't see it being a problem.
I just rented from Enterprise at the Denver Airport last week, and they didn't say anything any out of state mileage restrictions. And I believe they would have mentioned it, because they were extremely anal in mentioning everything else.

Have a look at their online FAQ: Enterprise FAQ (Page 1 of 11)

Note, it's 11 pages long. I said they were anal. But yet, it says nothing about out of state restrictions. Not trying to nit-pick, but there seems to be a lot of misinformation on this topic, and just trying to help set the record straight. Perhaps their policies vary from location to location, but you'd think they'd mention it in the FAQ.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 AM

4 posts, read 22,573 times
I've done a few road trips and the rental car that we rented afford unlimited mileage and we were able to cross state lines we rented from Dollar rent a car. The last trip we did we crossed over 9 states. Getting back to the topic since your going to monument valley i would suggest going to the 4 corners its nothing fantastic but where else can you stand on 4 states at one time. The mersa Verde ruins was also a nice place to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona