Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2006, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,783 times

Advertisements

ive been offered a job in morenci. im in florida right now. im getting out of the military, and i dont know anyone in arizona. the money they offer seams like a good pay. but i havent found to much info on morenci or the surrounding area. i have 3 kids in elementry, and one in jr. high. how are the schools? are there any bigger citys within comuting distance? any info you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by fto05; 10-31-2006 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 11:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Haven't been through there for almost twenty years. It's a Phelps-Dodge (mining) town in the high desert. Living in a mining town has special considerations, air quality being one. If memory serves, PD was to stop smelting in Morenci and convert everything to mine-for-leach process, so that may no longer be an issue.
I think the relative isolation is one of the more difficult things. You won't be running to Tucson for an afternoon shopping trip. Mining towns typically offer good pay because retaining employees isn't something the amenities of the town itself can accomplish. The Blue Mountains to the north and the Gila Wilderness to the east are some of the most beautiful areas in the U.S. If you are seriously into horses, backpacking or mountain biking, the recreational benefits may be the payoff you need to offset the lack of attractions that one becomes accustomed to in more urbanized areas.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:35 PM

78 posts, read 421,414 times
Just my two cents, but the words 'mining town' are usually synonymous with 'dump'.

I can't think of one mining town in AZ I've been through that I would ever want to go back to.

Morenci is in that group.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 18,749 times
My hubby was offered a job there, so him and I went to visit Morenci in January 07. Coming from Chicago, it was a cultire shock, but apparently the schools are above average because the min puts some money into it. There were a few restraunts, a bowling alley, a few stores, banks, etc. If the mine hires you, you go on a list to rent one of their homes, A 3 bed 2 bth for $200 bucks/month. You could save some big $ that way. Safford is about 40 minutes away, its bigger, with a SuperWalmart, Home Depot, fast food, everything you'd really need to get by. I think that population is 9,000 and growing big time cuz Phelps Dodge is expanding and doing another mine in Safford itself. Also, if you want to live in Safford, Phelps Dodge has a bus to pick up all the guys, then drop them off again. We've decided to move there, at least for the time being to save money(we have 3 little kids, too) If a city girl like me can handle it, I'm sure anyone can.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 PM

4 posts, read 13,258 times
Default only been once...

i have only been over there once to go backpacking in the blue range primitive wilderness, which is where they reintroduced the wolves. of all the places i've been in this state for outdoor rec., that place is my favorite. it probably has to do w/ the remoteness. you can no longer camp in sedona...all of the camping / hiking areas in rim country has been thrashed by the masses. too bad more people don't know about the Leave No Trace program!
it is quite beautiful in the mtns. safford is pretty small as well.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:52 AM

73 posts, read 330,116 times
Default Morenci

I grew up in the Safford/Thathcer area and I have several friends who work up in Morenci and I have been there several times...Morenci is a dump and the schools are not above average...you should look at living in Safford or Thatcher and just drive up to Morenci each day...I would say most of the people who work in the mine live in Safford/Thathcer...it is about a 45 minute drive and lots of people carpool and I heard PD, has even start a bus which you can take to work now...Morenci/Clifton is are very old rundown mining town with rundown homes PD, built...it is cheap to rent a house there, but I would never ever live there and would not want to raise any kids there...you can even call me and I can give you lots more information if you like...my number is 480-855-7927

Old 06-20-2007, 05:15 PM

6 posts, read 23,667 times
Default Morenci

Ok, well, want some info from someone who has live in Morenci for 22+ years? Morenci is a good place to raise kids. My three sons were safe to explore the mountains and the river when they were growing up. We lived in Phoenix for almost two years and were afraid for our kids safety the whole time. Housing is scarce in Morenci right now but, Phelps Dodge is working on making new homes available in Morenci as well as Clifton. I don't know where the schools rate in the state but, I'm of the opinion that you get out of school only as much as you put into learning. Phelps Dodge does contribute to the school. One person says you can't go to Tucson for an afternoon of shopping. Why not? We do it all the time. And we're glad to get home out of the heat and the traffic!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP5779 View Post
My hubby was offered a job there, so him and I went to visit Morenci in January 07. Coming from Chicago, it was a cultire shock, but apparently the schools are above average because the min puts some money into it. There were a few restraunts, a bowling alley, a few stores, banks, etc. If the mine hires you, you go on a list to rent one of their homes, A 3 bed 2 bth for $200 bucks/month. You could save some big $ that way. Safford is about 40 minutes away, its bigger, with a SuperWalmart, Home Depot, fast food, everything you'd really need to get by. I think that population is 9,000 and growing big time cuz Phelps Dodge is expanding and doing another mine in Safford itself. Also, if you want to live in Safford, Phelps Dodge has a bus to pick up all the guys, then drop them off again. We've decided to move there, at least for the time being to save money(we have 3 little kids, too) If a city girl like me can handle it, I'm sure anyone can.

Is he gonna work at Phelps Dodge driving one of those huge trucks? That's what my son did for like 3 months and then quit and headed back to Phoenix.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 16,973 times
hi i live in chino valley az but my daughter just got a job driving those huge mine trucks and is in need of childcare for her 3 children she lives in duncan her children are 12(boy)10(girl)8(girl). If you know of any childcare facilities or home care centers please let me know you can email me at grandmabuck8@hotmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona