Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 PM

419 posts, read 907,259 times

Advertisements

I'm in Chicago today and as I write this it's hovering between 93 and 94 degrees.. which is VERY VERY HOT for Chi town..

But, it's more comfortable, so far today, because the humidity is only 48%.

Big difference: Yesterday it got around mid eighties BUT the humidity got to 69% and it was the most uncomfortable! BTW, we're having the hottest summer I can remember here.

So, I'm thinking if you can get the moisture low enough, you can stand pretty high temps, right? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 02:54 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Yep, makes a big difference. The heat won't bother you here until it's up past 110 or so. Otherwise it's not that bad to me. Sometimes I get bored and wish for a couple of storms but that is the only thing that bothers me about the weather. Otherwise it's pretty nice and predictable for those of you who like to plan outdoor activities.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,247 times
I don't think the heat here is nearly as bad as the direct sun exposure. When it's 115, it's really not bad in the shade, but as soon as I get in the sun, it feels much, much hotter. I think UV Index kind of replaces humidity here, though sun exposure is easier to avoid than humidity.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:35 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
only 48%??

wow, get yourself out here post-haste!!!....when the humidity out here gets above, oh, 10%, we start to ***** and moan....

yes, low humidity makes a colossal difference, despite the jokes you hear out here about it.....difference between shade and sun is remarkable, as the other poster noted....and that applies winter and summer....clothes dry outside in a few seconds....the sweat evaporates faster and that's what makes you feel cooler.....and it feels so-oooo good to come out of a freezing movie theater into that warm, dry air (bring a sweater to the theater - we all do that).....

Old 09-02-2011, 04:52 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
You should be down here, Brucerby . . .

A toasty 95 Degrees with a whopping 17% Humidity right now (kinda high because it rained last night) and this is our Hot and Muggy time of year.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:36 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,981 times
I can handle 100+ temps up to a certain point so long as the humidity stays below 15 to 10%.

I was back in Ohio last April and it was 80 degrees with 25% humidity and it felt miserable to me.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:56 PM

419 posts, read 907,259 times
I know, I figured some of you would laugh about 48% humidity feeling OK.....:-)

but it seems like 50% is the cutoff point for comfort here in Chicago...since I posted it's risen to 57% (as i write this) and it's feeling not-so-good. While the temps have actually dropped to 86 degrees.

I'm just trying to do some of my own testing to see if what I've always heard is true in my own experience. Yes, I hope to be down there in the near future, for reasons like this heat/humidity.

...10 or 12% humidity seems unbelievable!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
I know, I figured some of you would laugh about 48% humidity feeling OK.....:-)

but it seems like 50% is the cutoff point for comfort here in Chicago...since I posted it's risen to 57% (as i write this) and it's feeling not-so-good. While the temps have actually dropped to 86 degrees.

I'm just trying to do some of my own testing to see if what I've always heard is true in my own experience. Yes, I hope to be down there in the near future, for reasons like this heat/humidity.

...10 or 12% humidity seems unbelievable!
Here's a kicker for you, Brucerby . . .

Not uncommon for us to have single digit humidity here in Tucson but 3% is the lowest I have ever experienced.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:11 PM

27 posts, read 31,493 times
We (also from Chicago area) were out there two Sundays ago to tour a house we have an offer on, and several others as backups. It was around 108 that day. Loved it - dry, beautiful deep blue sky, mountains, no noticeable smog/haze as you sometimes see there, etc.

I'm sure if we lived thru it everyday, the heat would get tiresome -- but less so than winter's gray skies, slush, and bone-chilling cold.

Bruceby is correct - yesterday at hi 80s/lo 90s was a very 'sweaty' day in Chi, today at 96 was far more comfortable.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:01 AM

339 posts, read 832,908 times
Quote:
I'm in Chicago today and as I write this it's hovering between 93 and 94 degrees.. which is VERY VERY HOT for Chi town..

Big difference: Yesterday it got around mid eighties BUT the humidity got to 69% and it was the most uncomfortable! BTW, we're having the hottest summer I can remember here.

So, I'm thinking if you can get the moisture low enough, you can stand pretty high temps, right? lol
Yup it's true, humidity makes all the difference! Yeah the heat here is very tolerable because of the low humidity and like others said, as long as you don't stand in direct sunlight you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona