Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:39 PM

89 posts, read 504,994 times

Advertisements

Is it a decent drive? How long will it take? Is it feasible to do this everyday or would it tend to grow old?

Thank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 03:57 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummersEve View Post
Is it a decent drive? How long will it take? Is it feasible to do this everyday or would it tend to grow old?

Thank
47 miles each way-------when working in Ft Mohave till I got my place in Bullhead City I commuted from downtown Kingman.

I strongly advise you to not make that run if it involves traversing Hwy 68 through Golden Valley---------it is a tremendous change in altitude and your ears will be popping like the dickens once you are down in BHC.

We are talking about a 3,000 ft drop in elevation in 10 minutes.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:37 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,643,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
47 miles each way-------when working in Ft Mohave till I got my place in Bullhead City I commuted from downtown Kingman.

I strongly advise you to not make that run if it involves traversing Hwy 68 through Golden Valley---------it is a tremendous change in altitude and your ears will be popping like the dickens once you are down in BHC.

We are talking about a 3,000 ft drop in elevation in 10 minutes.
Which is the quicker route to Kingman from Mohave Valley? 95 to 68 or getting on the I40 in Needles?

Old 08-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Which is the quicker route to Kingman from Mohave Valley? 95 to 68 or getting on the I40 in Needles?
To be honest: I would make that Kingman-Ft Mohave run both ways and go from there.

It is definitely shorter running via Hwy 68 through Golden Valley but; I 40 may be less tiring plus fewer stops. Note that the I 40 run does entail either going through via Az 95 through Golden Shores; the Az community dead across from Needles or straight through the latter city.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:01 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,817 times
You REALLY wouldn't want to do this! While it is possible, it would not be pleasant IMHO. It would be a pretty challenging commute.
While there are quite a few people that travel from Kingman to Laughlin for work, the opposite would probably defeat the purpose. Homes are cheaper in Kingman and the temps in the summertime are usually about 15-20 degrees cooler. It just really wouldn't be advantageous to buy/rent in Ft Mohave and work in Kingman.
If you're only talking about making the trip like once a week or maybe a few times a month...that would be ok. But not every day!

Old 08-12-2007, 06:02 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,471 times
Not a everyday trip, would grow old fast. Going through Needles is longer.

The other option is to get off at MP 1 on I-40 under the tracks and around the Marina (good food in the restaurant) then through the National wildlife preserve area. This is the shorter route to the south end of Mohave valley.

Coming through Bullhead the speed limit is 45 but traffic never gets up to speed, then when the snowbirds have flocked to town it becomes worse.

Now when/if they get the new road put in from Bullhead Parkway to the I-40 interchange that will change the whole commute thing.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:20 AM

And there is always Rte 66 through Oatman :P

Old 08-13-2007, 12:00 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And there is always Rte 66 through Oatman :P
Plus if ya go up through christmas they have every tree and bush leading into town decorated up. From beer bottles as ornaments to the whole enchilada.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:28 PM

89 posts, read 504,994 times
Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I stated that wrong. We would be living in Kingman and driving to Fort Mohave for work. I'd rather live where it is cooler.

Rambrush they do that in Sedona too. I have seen the trees decorated. It is fun to look at.

I plan on stopping in Oatman on this upcoming trip. I have to see those little burro's.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummersEve View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I stated that wrong. We would be living in Kingman and driving to Fort Mohave for work. I'd rather live where it is cooler.

Rambrush they do that in Sedona too. I have seen the trees decorated. It is fun to look at.

I plan on stopping in Oatman on this upcoming trip. I have to see those little burro's.
I stayed just S of the tracks in Kingman back in 2005 and commuted back and forth to the Hwy 95/Joy Lane area of Ft Mohave till my apt was ready in Bullhead City.

It was 47 miles one way going on Hwy 68 through Golden Valley and taking the Bullhead Parkway.

In other words; you are looking at 50 miles each way unless you drive through Oatman------be advised that the 'Kingman' side of Rte 66 as it winds through the mountains can be treacherous. The River side of Rte 66 W of Oatman then on to Boundary Cone Rd is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona