Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,616,591 times

Advertisements

Given the recent political events in Arizona, immigration and real recognition of Second Amemdment rights, I've been wondering if it could be the place for me. I do not like very hot weather, however. Further, I like rural areas with as few people as possible. I don't like building codes or any other government intrusion. Could I find a rural spot out of the heat where I could purchase 15-50 acres, no subdivision, ideally far from a big city?

I am not looking for urban amenities of any sort, just a place where people leave each other alone. The area around Tombstone seems pleasant; but I haven't seen any appropriate propeties.

I am a native English speaker and wish to be around other native English speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
There are lots of places in both southern and northern Arizona where you can find property. I have no specific location recommendations for you, but northern Arizona might suit you better.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM

13,228 posts, read 21,847,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I am a native English speaker and wish to be around other native English speakers.
There are lots of natives who speak English on the Indian reservations.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 PM

894 posts, read 2,203,756 times
Tombstone isn't the place for you if you don't wanna be in the heat. Check out somewhere along I40, in the Ash Fork/Williams area. That is high altitude, they get snow, its high desert, so the snow and winters are nowhere as extreme as there in Wyoming. Check out far northern Arizona, Northeast corner, or eastern AZ. Safford is a BEAUTIFUL place. It is also high desert, some snow, not very hot in the summers, and it is away from it all. I don't know much about the town or area, except for what I have read and what I was told by an ex GF who lived in Duncan. Safford Pastor is the local eastern Az guy around here.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:26 PM

81 posts, read 272,173 times
Lots of possibilities in Mohave County. Prices are reasonable and there are many desolate areas like you've described. All depends on what you want and what you want to spend.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:32 PM

894 posts, read 2,203,756 times
Mohave County is far from cool. Lake Havasu City is close to 110 in the summer. He wants cool weather, not just a desolate area.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 PM

614 posts, read 1,766,103 times
The white mountains, Flagstaff or Williams,( the snows there are heavier than any town in Wyoming), and there are a couple mountain communities near Prescott in The Bradshaw Mountains, and the Hualapai Mountains, near Kingman. The white mountains are the best though with a few larger towns and than tons of wilderness with a few smaller towns thrown in.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:12 PM

8,506 posts, read 8,818,868 times
Whether you are wanting to escape much winter or winter entirely or you are still ok with it will significantly guide your search.

The White Mountains were a good general recommendation if winter is not a big issue but not sure of which place is the perfect match on all criteria. Nutrioso looks pretty good to me but if might get knocked out on something for you. Not sure on where it falls on zoning. Somewhere around Silver Creek might have acreage but not sure on price and perhaps that is too close to Show Low, which might be too busy for you, among other things.

Ashfork was mentioned. If you like that area but want more remote maybe Drake or Perkinsville might interest?

If near Safford sounds worth checking, maybe something 30-60 minutes out could be found, perhaps something near Gutherie, York, Sheldon or Duncan? That is just a map guess, I don't know the demographics or other detail. But maybe somebody else does.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:22 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,071,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

will seeing the occasional billboard in Spanish be a deal-breaker??!!

there is a lot of what you want all over the state....since you want cooler weather, draw a line diagonally across the state from the NW corner to the SE corner and stay to the NE of that line, approximately......

watch out for impassable roads in some areas after bad weather....check on zoning restrictions.....HOA dues?....utilities?....crazy neighbors?.....meth labs?....

and, frankly, you're going to hear Spanish down here at times....don't sweat it.....and there all types in Arizona, not just gun-rights groups.....

Old 09-23-2010, 07:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,616,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
will seeing the occasional billboard in Spanish be a deal-breaker??!!

there is a lot of what you want all over the state....since you want cooler weather, draw a line diagonally across the state from the NW corner to the SE corner and stay to the NE of that line, approximately......

watch out for impassable roads in some areas after bad weather....check on zoning restrictions.....HOA dues?....utilities?....crazy neighbors?.....meth labs?....

and, frankly, you're going to hear Spanish down here at times....don't sweat it.....and there all types in Arizona, not just gun-rights groups.....
Thanks for the tip on the diagonal line. I know about impassable roads. Having traveled over most of this country as well as a few others, I've learned that there is no mud like the mud of SW Wyoming. It's beyond anything else I've encountered. I intend to try to avoid much zoning and refuse to live in a subdivision. No HOA for me.

With respect to language, I just don't wish to be somewhere in a tiny minority. I'm also aware that supporters of the Aztlan movement and similar groups sometimes harbor a deep hatred of the Anglo. This is nothing new. I observed it in Colorado forty years ago. It was a hatred of the US. I wish to be around people, Hispanic or otherwise, who consider themselves Americans, not who consider themselves Mexican nationals in an occupied territory.

Severals posters have given me informationon ares that I need to investigate. At least I don't need to look for a place with low humidity. That's one bonus of living in the West.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 09-23-2010 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona