Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:39 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,069,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've learned that there is no mud like the mud of SW Wyoming. It's beyond anything else I've encountered.
oh man, I do know what you mean about that SW Wyo mud....bentonite clay is it????.....we were once driving the narrow old railroad bed of the original transcon. line SE of Evanston....got in a rainstorm and quickly built up about 6-9 inches of mud on the tires...no traction at all and we were slipping all over, including almost off the edge of a very high piece of fill for the road bed....pretty scary.....we were able to limp to better surface where I used an ice ax (was hiking earlier in the Winds) to scrape off the gunk...what a mess!....we celebrated our survival by getting ice cream at Little America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:30 PM

129 posts, read 352,738 times
Come by my neighbor in the Silver Springs area? It's about 30 minutes east of Kingman.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:09 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
oh man, I do know what you mean about that SW Wyo mud....bentonite clay is it????.....we were once driving the narrow old railroad bed of the original transcon. line SE of Evanston....got in a rainstorm and quickly built up about 6-9 inches of mud on the tires...no traction at all and we were slipping all over, including almost off the edge of a very high piece of fill for the road bed....pretty scary.....we were able to limp to better surface where I used an ice ax (was hiking earlier in the Winds) to scrape off the gunk...what a mess!....we celebrated our survival by getting ice cream at Little America!
It is bentonite. Bentonite makes great kitty litter. It sticks together when saturated. But what makes it wonderful kitty litter makes it horrible for roads. But if it's a dirt road, you drive on what's there; and unlike kitty litter, it's not ground up. It's one big glob of goo. I once drove on an uphill road south of Evanston. In a 3/4 ton 4WD with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right, I was pointed 30 degrees to the left. Luckily my direction of travel was stright ahead; but I wonder how I went around some curves. The tire tread was far below the surface of the mud. Why didn't I turn around? Because I was headed out. There would have been no way to turn around anyway. It was a truly wretched experience.

But it's a small price to pay for living in the kitty litter capital of the world. Wyoming really is. I saw a sign once (I don't remember where, probably at some bentonite processing facility) proclaiming the fact

Old 09-25-2010, 09:26 AM

614 posts, read 1,765,797 times
Yeh, Arizona's roads do not sound as bad as the ones in wyoming, but in Az once the dryer dirt roads get soaking wet God Bless you and i wish you luck. That stuff turns to quicksand and even with 4x4 its tough.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:38 PM

8,503 posts, read 8,811,218 times
I remembered another place. If you want remote, "independent-minded" and not too hot, you might check into Young AZ, east of Payson. At 5,000 feet. Mud likely an issue at times, but there is usually something. Same with wind. Septic system rules could also be an issue if you wanted to build new. But generally it matches your criteria pretty well.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Young-Arizona.html
http://youngaz85554.tripod.com/

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-25-2010 at 02:22 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 04:08 PM

614 posts, read 1,765,797 times
Those areas from about 4500- 6000ft are the areas that have probably everything you want. The weather is a mild 4 seasons, land is cheaper, and the pinyon pine forests are rather beautiful and don't dry up to bad.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,924 times
Default az getaway...

There definitely are parcels in northern AZ that meet your criteria. We have a 40 acre parcel just off I-40 about 40 miles west of Flagstaff - camping up there you can spend days w/o seeing anyone.
It was going to be a family retreat but it's not looking that way anymore. If you want to inquire about it or see some pictures let me know.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:01 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,919,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I remembered another place. If you want remote, "independent-minded" and not too hot, you might check into Young AZ, east of Payson. At 5,000 feet. Mud likely an issue at times, but there is usually something. Same with wind. Septic system rules could also be an issue if you wanted to build new. But generally it matches your criteria pretty well.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Young-Arizona.html
Young AZ - Arizona's Best Kept Secret

Mud isn't really an issue. They are cracking down on building codes around here now. Unfortunately, that wasn't true is years past, so existing homes all have something(s) wrong with them. If you want to add on to an existing place, they will make you upgrade the existing building to code as well.

Very independent mindset, yet very community-orientated. There are a couple of outlaying "communities" that are even more independent, but you need high clearance vehicle to get to them. Usually the temps are in the low 90s in the summer. We get snow sometimes in the winter. The valley is juniper-grassland, but surrounded by pondersoa pines. Plenty of water, including year-round creeks.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:55 AM

509 posts, read 1,699,088 times
check out Ash Fork at 5100ft. right off on I-40

Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 PM

206 posts, read 535,516 times
Hey Wyoming, today only, I will sell you my 20 acres of deselet, private, secluded, ranchland , for 10 grand,,,15 miles north of Fabens Tx... mikedesertdog1@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona