Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 11,780 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm just looking for some advise/help/info. I am 30 yrs old and have two girls 10 & 5. My husband's job is relocating him to Douglas Arizona. We have been just looking online for nearest cities/towns that can be somewhat of a similar place to San Diego. Sierra Vista so far seems to be the best location. Here in SD we live in a Military City (National City) with a population of about 61,000+, but all cities are close together within San Diego. Anyways, My daughters are very involved in sports here so I was wondering if anyone can give some info as far as sports leagues for my kids, soccer, dance and especially girls fast-pitch softball, also adult softball. I've looked in the parks and rec centers for any info and have not been able to pull anything up, but maybe I missed it somewhere. Also how about schools there.. when I search best rated public school the number one elementary school would be Pueblo Del Sol elementary. What about middle school because I know that middle school there starts in 6th grade. This would be a very big change for us since this is the very first time ever we move out of SD and we would be moving from having a huge family here is SD to none in AZ. It can be very traumatic for my kids but all I can do is try to find the best place for them to get a good education and a place where they can get involved. Also, how about home rental, I'ce looked on craigslist and websites but not too many rentals. Does any body know any one that may be able to show us around that are and know about any rental homes there. I would need to find somewhere to live there no Later than January 2011. We are thinking about heading out there this coming weekend just to check things out a bit. Any info will help!! . Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 05:00 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geena619 View Post
Hello,
I'm just looking for some advise/help/info. I am 30 yrs old and have two girls 10 & 5. My husband's job is relocating him to Douglas Arizona. We have been just looking online for nearest cities/towns that can be somewhat of a similar place to San Diego. Sierra Vista so far seems to be the best location. Here in SD we live in a Military City (National City) with a population of about 61,000+, but all cities are close together within San Diego. Anyways, My daughters are very involved in sports here so I was wondering if anyone can give some info as far as sports leagues for my kids, soccer, dance and especially girls fast-pitch softball, also adult softball. I've looked in the parks and rec centers for any info and have not been able to pull anything up, but maybe I missed it somewhere. Also how about schools there.. when I search best rated public school the number one elementary school would be Pueblo Del Sol elementary. What about middle school because I know that middle school there starts in 6th grade. This would be a very big change for us since this is the very first time ever we move out of SD and we would be moving from having a huge family here is SD to none in AZ. It can be very traumatic for my kids but all I can do is try to find the best place for them to get a good education and a place where they can get involved. Also, how about home rental, I'ce looked on craigslist and websites but not too many rentals. Does any body know any one that may be able to show us around that are and know about any rental homes there. I would need to find somewhere to live there no Later than January 2011. We are thinking about heading out there this coming weekend just to check things out a bit. Any info will help!! . Thank you!!!
If you are looking to be near a base then Sierra Vista is for you. The majority of it's 45K population is either in the military or retired from it.
Douglas, and Tomstone are small, Bisbee see's itself as Berkeley east. Lots of Californians there. Most of the rentals here are short term handled through TDY Rentals, furnished and unfurnished. Ideal if you want to rent while you look around. Douglas is a far drive but there is no traffic.

Just google TDY rental

Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 AM

364 posts, read 496,747 times
It will certainly be a change of pace from SD.

Pueblo del Sol is rated as the best school in SV. Not sure of the exact boundaries but anything in Highland Shadows or Desert Shadows should put you in that school. While you may not be interested in apartments, it could work at first as there are three within walking distance to the elementary at 4250 busby, 4250 foothills and 4400 busby.

Home rentals are limited, but are available. I'll ask about the best source.
If you live in this area of SV, then you can expect a drive of about 50 min to Douglas. Overall, its an easy drive, but quite a distance.

It seems that you are most concerned with schools and community. I think you will find SV to be the best in SE AZ based on the OP. For more activities and events you can head to Tucson, which would be about 75 min from that part of SV.

I'll ask about sports leagues from some who have participants.

Here is a link for the public school attendance boundaries for Sierra Vista http://www.sierravistapublicschools....e=view&ID=1496

Last edited by mauiwowie; 09-13-2010 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Added boundary link

Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times
I think most would agree that comparing Sierra Vista to San Diego is a VERY far stretch . That said, it is probably the best town for you to live in based on the circumstances. Be prepared for culture shock though.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:52 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,080 times
I have only heard wonderful things about Pueblo del Sol. However, the last time I heard, they were consolidating middle schools--it sounded like class sizes were going to be very large. I was not impressed with what I was hearing regarding school funding while I lived there (moved a year ago). Coronado Elementary (k-8) in the Palomonos District (Hereford, and sorry about the spelling...) is very good. The other two schools in that district, not so good but okay.

See if you can search old articles about school funding at www.svherald.com since my memory isn't clear on this subject.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 PM

861 posts, read 2,192,432 times
SV is a very nice area...if you are concerned about the commute, you might consider locating in the Hereford or Palominos area...you would knock off 10-20 miles off the drive and still have the amenities of SV close by.
And the Palominos area is pretty nice from what i have seen...(real country area)

Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 11,780 times
Thank you all for your replies, Icompletely agree its going to be a huge change but that's why im so interested in being able to find similar things to do as we did here in SD so that it wont be too dificult for my kids to adjust ( hopefully). We will be heading out there this weekend just to look through each town particularly SV. I don't think my husband minds the comute especially if there is no traffic. As long as we are comfortable. Also i did notice that there is a community college near by which offers the nursing program with no wait list... here in SD there is a 3-4yr wait list... that would be a great advantage for me as well, but im still trying to find out about girls fastpitch softball and soccer teams formy girls.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 AM

364 posts, read 496,747 times
I'm still trying to find info on sports leagues.

I was told that in general the private leagues are more structured and competitive than the city parks and rec.

I think that the league for SV softball is Sierra Vista Ponytail League. No info about the league though it may be useful to find contact info from this link https://www.svpt.org/ to talk to someone while you'll be in town.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 AM

308 posts, read 791,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geena619 View Post
Thank you all for your replies, Icompletely agree its going to be a huge change but that's why im so interested in being able to find similar things to do as we did here in SD so that it wont be too dificult for my kids to adjust ( hopefully). We will be heading out there this weekend just to look through each town particularly SV. I don't think my husband minds the comute especially if there is no traffic. As long as we are comfortable. Also i did notice that there is a community college near by which offers the nursing program with no wait list... here in SD there is a 3-4yr wait list... that would be a great advantage for me as well, but im still trying to find out about girls fastpitch softball and soccer teams formy girls.
I don't know anything about the schools here, as my kids are older, but be sure to check out "the cove" located in the town park. I think if you ask around, you will find out about the sports programs. The visitors center by the library may be able to help.

I take it you are talking about the nursing program at Cochise College. I am very happy with the classes I have been taking there. The instructors all seem to be top notch,and the facilities are not bad.

It will be quite a drive to Douglas every day, but as has been said, there will be NO traffic. Some speed zones though.

If you PM me, I can give you the name of a realtor that might be able to help with rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona