Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 10:19 PM

32 posts, read 104,104 times

Advertisements

I am deeply saddened of the news about our state and so much that other states enjoy the privileges and frugalities of a slow recovery and yet the Arizonans were left behind.
My only suggestion for AZ to recover is to set aside pride and dignity over the economic conditions that the state needs in order for its people to survive.
One suggestion is to use the EZ PASS system. This Toll system will help AZ recover from the high cost of maintaining its freeway. As of now, AZ still lags behind from the planned recovery. By placing a toll system of each exits using a $2.00 fee for a day pass can execute a great budget recovery from its deficits. US 60, 101 and the 202 respectively can help the striving Az economy.
Next the Drivers license needs to be overhauled from 65 years to 5 years. The renewal must be every 5 years that way can update its listen drivers each and every 5 years whether it is an illegal alien driving or too much of reckless record and can be taken off the street.
AZ must make use of its SOLAR ENERGY resource rather than waiting for a water ration in the next 3 years. There is abundant Solar power in AZ and I am just wondering why this discussion had been shelved for almost 6 decades now. Power brokers of SRP and other sources are getting wealthier..this is bad.
AZ needs to update its military reserves..being the border state and has issues with the FEDS, we need to introduce a MANDATORY ROTC for all High School and College students rendering them service to the border as their on the job training this way saving the State Government money.
Last, Lift the STATE TAX as people of AZ pays the toll services of its freeways. Give rescue plans to those who are through Solar Energy and provide incentives to those who volunteered their service in the border.
I think if this will be instituted for AZ the fiscal budget will be strengthen and the trust of the people will be assured only for AZ.
Lets forget about bickering and why toll can be the answer, let us all look forward to a better solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,295,696 times
OK, I like solar but it has to be economically viable. Maybe a subsidy here and there to get the ball rolling, but after that if coal is cheaper then we use coal - we have a lot of that too in AZ. I personally think nuclear is the best alternative energy source. Bashing SRP and APS does not make sense. "Power brokers" was clever, though. The utilities are producers, consumers, and leaders in solar in AZ. As for the rest of your ideas...it's for me.

Anyway, AZ will do just fine without toll roads and short term licences or sending schoolkids to the border to fight drug cartels. This is not our first rodeo (aka recession). We've been declared dead at least twice in the time I have been here only to bounce back and lead the nation in growth.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 AM

308 posts, read 792,160 times
I have lots of experience with toll roads. Once the system is in place, the price does nothing but climb. The NY Thruway was supposed to become free 5 or 10 years ago, but they raised the tolls instead (I believe several times since then). If you made the highways here toll roads, all other taxes would remain in addition to the new one you just created. Not so much to do with AZ, just politicians in general; taxes are not normally reduced or eliminated after they are established.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,719,454 times
Boo Hoo, If you get toll roads iit will be forever and will go up annually. I don't think you can impose a toll on an interstate unless you paid for the construction. We have enough nuclear to supply the state.

Mod Cut: English only.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-16-2010 at 07:11 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,272,050 times
Don't you posters think our economy has suffered enough from government's meddling? Their cure for too much debt is more debt. Whatever keeps their supporters gravy train rolling.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:36 PM

308 posts, read 792,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Don't you posters think our economy has suffered enough from government's meddling? Their cure for too much debt is more debt. Whatever keeps their supporters gravy train rolling.

If we are not careful, debt (both personal and national) will kill this country.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:33 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,530,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
I'll agree with this

I hope people start remembering that that government is
spending OUR money and if we allow them to be unaccountable SHAME on US

It seems for to long now the only ones that have not had
to tighten their belt is the government

Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,283,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio71 View Post
One suggestion is to use the EZ PASS system. This Toll system will help AZ recover from the high cost of maintaining its freeway. As of now, AZ still lags behind from the planned recovery. By placing a toll system of each exits using a $2.00 fee for a day pass can execute a great budget recovery from its deficits. US 60, 101 and the 202 respectively can help the striving Az economy.
Not all freeways should be toll roads ... however, I am strongly in favor of turning over the reigns to private enterprise to construct and maintain all new freeways that are currently proposed, and having the costs maintained by tolls (user fees). Case in point: the South Mountain extension of the Loop 202. This has been on the drawing boards for 25 years, only to be continuously delayed because of the namby pamby NIMBYs, preservationists, and environmentalists who don't want to disturb one single rock that is part of South Mountain. Also, ADOT shares some of the blame for their mis management of funds as was revealed by a 1991 audit. This freeway project has actually been suggested as a tollway, but nothing has come of it thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio71 View Post
AZ must make use of its SOLAR ENERGY resource rather than waiting for a water ration in the next 3 years. There is abundant Solar power in AZ and I am just wondering why this discussion had been shelved for almost 6 decades now. Power brokers of SRP and other sources are getting wealthier..this is bad.
We need a mixed use of solar, nuclear, hydroelectric, and other energy sources available. It shouldn't be all focussed on just solar, or a single source of energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This is not our first rodeo (aka recession). We've been declared dead at least twice in the time I have been here only to bounce back and lead the nation in growth.
OK, so we lead the nation in growth, but only during the GOOD economic times. Every time a downturn in the housing market occurs, our economy tends to suffer more than the rest of the country. As a state, we definitely need more stability. Also, I keep emphasizing that what worked well in the past may not work as well for the state in the future. Arizona is no longer a small population state, so it's about time to grow up and start diversifying more. We can't keep relying on the same old economic indicators (real estate, climate, retirees, snowbirds, etc.) for our bread & butter.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:45 PM

260 posts, read 512,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
OK, I like solar but it has to be economically viable. Maybe a subsidy here and there to get the ball rolling, but after that if coal is cheaper then we use coal - we have a lot of that too in AZ. I personally think nuclear is the best alternative energy source. Bashing SRP and APS does not make sense. "Power brokers" was clever, though. The utilities are producers, consumers, and leaders in solar in AZ. As for the rest of your ideas...it's for me.

Anyway, AZ will do just fine without toll roads and short term licences or sending schoolkids to the border to fight drug cartels. This is not our first rodeo (aka recession). We've been declared dead at least twice in the time I have been here only to bounce back and lead the nation in growth.
I think, geothermal energy plants are the best, as they could produce energy day and night. For solar, we need sun, it would only work during day time, and wind farms work only, if there is wind.
My only concern with wind farms, is they are all painted grayish white, and a lot of birds fly into them and get killed. I think they should paint these wind mills red, or black, or a color, that the birds can see.
The car manufacturers also painted a lot of cars silver, gray, the same color as the road, and a lot of birds fly into them.
However, I think Geothermal , solar, and wind energy farms is what Arizona need, to boost the economy.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:19 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesmoses View Post
I think, geothermal energy plants are the best, as they could produce energy day and night. For solar, we need sun, it would only work during day time, and wind farms work only, if there is wind.
My only concern with wind farms, is they are all painted grayish white, and a lot of birds fly into them and get killed. I think they should paint these wind mills red, or black, or a color, that the birds can see.
The car manufacturers also painted a lot of cars silver, gray, the same color as the road, and a lot of birds fly into them.
However, I think Geothermal , solar, and wind energy farms is what Arizona need, to boost the economy.
Some solar designs work at night as well. The APS Solana Plant under construction near Gila Bend is an example of this solar thermal technology.

APS :: Solana - Project Facts

I think the one going near Kingman is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: