Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:39 PM

53 posts, read 122,753 times

Advertisements

Recently my Father had inherited some land from his brother (my Uncle). My Mother has been wanting to move out of Wisconsin for quite some time to get away from all the rain, cold weather, and the heavy drinking culture that exist here.

I too have been thinking of leaving the state. There are a few things I like about AZ myself (lack of rain, governor with a spine, the sunshine). However I do not take heat very well. Last week there was a 91 degree day and I was seeing stars while working outside and started to get shaky. This was after working for a mere half an hour doing somewhat intense physical labor. My Mother keeps saying how the heat out in Arizona is a dry heat and it doesn't feel as bad. I guess I'll find out for myself in less than a week since I am going on a road trip with Dad to do some work on my deceased Uncle's place. His place is in Camp Verde.

I don't think I could handle months of 90 degree plus weather. Is there anywhere in AZ that has cheap land (less than 2k and acre) and a milder summer. Flagstaff seemed pretty decent for temps but the land seemed to be expensive.

Is this even a realistic to try and find such a place in AZ? I have had a hard time up here in Wisconsin this summer with all the high humidity and hot temps (80s+). My allergies have been acting up horribly this year too because of all the rain.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 10:14 PM

13,251 posts, read 21,874,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJohnson View Post
Is there anywhere in AZ that has cheap land (less than 2k and acre) and a milder summer. Flagstaff seemed pretty decent for temps but the land seemed to be expensive.

Is this even a realistic to try and find such a place in AZ?
Absolutely. You can buy land as you want between $1K and $2K an acre in most of northern Arizona which will also afford you the climate you want. Of course if you want water, power, good access to shopping, city life and jobs, then expect to pay much more. The closer you get to urban life, the more you pay.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:50 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,083,342 times
Quote:
I was seeing stars while working outside and started to get shaky.
are you drinking enough water and healthy food throughout the day?....try some salty food and some water with electrolytes in it before working outside.....

if heat is really a constant bother for you, you'll need to stay above 6000' or so out here in the summer....and, as kdog said, you get what you pay for....anything less than 2K/acre will probably have no utilities, unpaved roads that may get impassable in wet weather, and be several miles from stores and services....

Camp Verde is not a bad area....hot-ish in the summer and cold-ish in the winter....

Old 08-13-2010, 01:47 AM

26 posts, read 89,690 times
It's pretty hot everywhere. I can't walk outside without sweating. It's very irritating when there is no rain and it's been very hot for so long. So definitely find somewhere that at least gets rain a couple times a month. Buckeye, where I live, hasn't gotten much rain since end of last year and early this year. It brings some people down when all they get is high heat and no rain.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:12 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,227,253 times
Most anything north of Phoenix will be cooler, but some places still get snow. Though Arizona is a place, literally put, when it rains it pours. Years with heavier rain can be somewhat more treacherous than places with more frequent rain. I would do a lot more research on Jan Brewer though, especially before the 1070 thing, if that's a primary reason for moving. She wasn't doing so well in the polls until then.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,093,578 times
There are a lot of climates in AZ. But, even if you moved to the Valley you would eventually become acclimated to it. You are just use to the cold weather so 90 seems hot to your body. After 70 degree winters you body wouldn't think twice about a 90 degree day. In fact it would feel kinda nice.
On the rare day that we get into the 40's in the winter I freeze my butt off, you would probably laugh at me. I often think I couldn't make it in a colder climate, but I'd get use to that as well. The first year might be rough but you would do fine. Just watch the burn factor and protect your skin.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:06 AM

860 posts, read 2,719,905 times
I too have heat intolerance at times and moved from IN to Phoenix just before this summer. I have done very well really, much better than I did while in the deep South on vacation. The really high humidity there and sometimes in the Midwest makes me feel like I can't breath and I have not felt that way once since moving here. The 110 degree days are hard, but if you are not in Phoenix, it seems you can avoid those. Flagstaff and Northern Arizona in general seem like a fantastic place to live.
If you can live somewhere that's low humidity and stays under 100 degrees, I think you will do better than you think the air there will also probably be perfect for you. THe asthma sufferers in my family have all done better here, but they may rebound due to the pollutants, Again, Northern AZ should make for an excellent climate. Even Tuscon is cooler with better air. If you love being outdoors, you will spend more time outside in these places than the Midwest, unless you are a snow lover.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 PM

136 posts, read 424,561 times
I had moved from Wisconsin to Az for 4 plus years and must say the heat without the humidity is easy to adjust to.The mild winters are even easier however I think there is more drinking in Az than in Wisconsin.Just because they do not have taverns like we have in Wisconsin,they do have drive thru liquior stores that do a good bussiness.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:50 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,042,263 times
Quote:
Recently my Father had inherited some land from his brother (my Uncle). My Mother has been wanting to move out of Wisconsin for quite some time to get away from all the rain, cold weather, and the heavy drinking culture that exist here.

I too have been thinking of leaving the state. There are a few things I like about AZ myself (lack of rain, governor with a spine, the sunshine). However I do not take heat very well. Last week there was a 91 degree day and I was seeing stars while working outside and started to get shaky. This was after working for a mere half an hour doing somewhat intense physical labor. My Mother keeps saying how the heat out in Arizona is a dry heat and it doesn't feel as bad. I guess I'll find out for myself in less than a week since I am going on a road trip with Dad to do some work on my deceased Uncle's place. His place is in Camp Verde.

I don't think I could handle months of 90 degree plus weather. Is there anywhere in AZ that has cheap land (less than 2k and acre) and a milder summer. Flagstaff seemed pretty decent for temps but the land seemed to be expensive.

Is this even a realistic to try and find such a place in AZ? I have had a hard time up here in Wisconsin this summer with all the high humidity and hot temps (80s+). My allergies have been acting up horribly this year too because of all the rain.

Thanks
Have you ever thought of a place like Sierra Vista in Southeast AZ?

It does get some hot weather, but not nearly as bad as Phoenix and Tucson, and winters are still pretty mild, too. Humidity is also low.

Here's a link to the average temperatures there:

SIERRA VISTA, ARIZONA - Climate Summary

Old 08-18-2010, 04:15 PM

53 posts, read 122,753 times

Thanks everyone for the responses. Well I made it. The weather here in Camp Verde was much more humid that I would have expected for Arizona. It is also monsoon season as well which has made for a very cloudy and somewhat rainy Arizona experience. The mobile home I have been staying in has no electric. My Dad brought along my generator to run the AC but unfortunately the trailer was so dirty that it ran foul with my allergies. I tried sleeping outside on the large rear deck but the combination of no wind and high humidity has made for a very sleepless vacation/workcation. After arriving here on Sunday morning I am now very tired so I opted to stay in a near by hotel with AC. I am afraid I just can't take this heat and it boggles me to see folks wandering around with sweatshirts in 80 degree weather. The mobile home has now been cleaned and after removing the extremely smelly furnace full of friggin rat crap today I think by tomorrow night I'll be able to sleep well in the trailer with the AC cranked.

The scenery is awesome around here and I love the wide open spaces. I got a bit of a chuckle out of seeing a sign for the Prescott National Forest. Prescott National Shrubbery would have been a little more true to life. It seems that there are a ton of folks that have some sort of off-road vehicle. I used to go off-roading a bit in Wisconsin but the high fuel prices and getting stuck all the time sorta put that to an end.

I rode my bicycle on some of the local trails. The constant changes in elevation makes for a weird riding experience. A lot of the time it is so subtle I don't even notice except for the fact I need to be in a lower gear. There was one particular stretch where I had no idea that I was steadily climbing up and up until I turned around at the end of the trail. Once I turned around I found that I didn't need to pedal at all The trails have a lot of rocks but my bike has big balloon tires so it rolls over them real easy. I think I could spend a month riding my bike around this place. This is definitely a state for the outdoor enthusiast.

One thing I noticed about Camp Verde is the lack of employment. I thought the job market back home was tough but it has no comparison to the lack of help wanted signs and ads out here. I suspect the fickle service based economy is cause for that. Another observation is that used vehicles (especially trucks) seem to be really expensive out here. I had an idea to find a cheap solid old pickup from around here and drive it home but that is not going to happen. Most of the used vehicles in this area are going for double to triple what I could buy the same aged vehicle back in Wisconsin

A lot of Arizona seems to have a hillbilly flare to it. Tons and tons of run down looking shacks and mobile homes around here. Where I live there are a fair share of shacks and rundown MH's but not quite on the scale there is here. For the record I live in a run down looking shack of a house in Wisconsin so I am not looking down my nose at anyone it is just an observation.

I don't know if Arizona is the state for me but I'll be back to explore some more. I think I would have to go to a much higher elevation in order for it to work for me. Cold does not bother me in the slightest and I chuckled a bit after talking to a local about the winter. He told me it gets so cold around here in winter that water freezes at night A couple of winters ago it was 40 degrees below zero at my house. I spent a winter in an unheated camper in Wisconsin as well. For the most part I wouldn't need to even bother heating a house here in Camp Verde in the middle of winter. I am planning on visiting Camp Verde this January and I suspect I'll have a great time not sweating constantly and will make the locals gasp in amazement as I waltz around in shorts and a t shirt in 40 degree weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
are you drinking enough water and healthy food throughout the day?....try some salty food and some water with electrolytes in it before working outside.....

if heat is really a constant bother for you, you'll need to stay above 6000' or so out here in the summer....and, as kdog said, you get what you pay for....anything less than 2K/acre will probably have no utilities, unpaved roads that may get impassable in wet weather, and be several miles from stores and services....

Camp Verde is not a bad area....hot-ish in the summer and cold-ish in the winter....
Well Camp Verde is not for me but it is a neat place to explore and visit (albiet not during the monsoon season). Living remote does not bother me. In Wisconsin I am a bit more than several miles away from the nearest store or any services. Anything beyond getting a little bit of groceries means at least a half an hour drive or more for me so I am used to it. I also lived nearly three years off-grid with no running water (or a well for that matter) so I am no stranger to roughing it. I am thinking one would have to bring their own job when relocating out here (especially in the more remote areas). I figured driving semi oughta be in some demand in Arizona.

Last edited by PhilJohnson; 08-18-2010 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona