Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 03:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,225,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
Steve explained the reason in his last line, just after you made his text bold . . .

There is not much water here, it is deep, and the land is rather desolate, some people don't care for that sort of stuff . . . long distances between homes, most things are yellowish brown most of the year, no "real" trees, mostly mesquete bushes . . . more border patrol than illegals, but not a rare ocurance to see either . . . the zoning and building codes could drive some bonkers . . . Hey, it is not the city, no fast food unless you call the taco wagon parked next to the Post Office Mon - Fri fast food, it is VERY Good eating, probably the best in the area if you ask me! Pizza joint coming to town, but no progress in the last 5 months or so . . . not sure why they stopped building . . .

Our Post Office covers almost 40 square miles! there is lots of bare barren land, don't be surprised to see cattle in the road, or a rattle snake! Good rabbit hunting, so also plenty of coyotes too! (keep your little cats and doggies close by if out in the desert.)
No, this poster never explained what he meant.

Quote:
This is from a third generation arizonan-run from there as fast as you can!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 03:58 PM

123 posts, read 350,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No, this poster never explained what he meant.
Your right Cliff has not responded yet.

However in post #12 steve explained:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Even with the water and valley, it is still desert with desert vegetation. Most of those who say they own lots (like Myself) have bare desert lots. Water wells are expensive, septic is off the charts (as compared to what I used to pay in Pinal County). Most easterners are in shock when they see what they bought online.
<snip>
The bottom line is see it before you buy, or bring money, and don’t expect Central Park. There is a reason this land is cheep. If like myself you are aware of the perils of purchasing bare desert land and some of the zoning issues it can be a real value.
Then in post #13 you responded with:
Quote:
I knew there had to be a reason. There always is!
<snip>

Come on out for a drive about and see this wonderful valley for yourself.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Your right Cliff has not responded yet.

However in post #12 steve explained:

Then in post #13 you responded with:

Come on out for a drive about and see this wonderful valley for yourself.
Look, I don't have a horse in this race and I don't really care, but things are not always as they seem and this (granted, brand new) poster had a strong opinion, which made me curious.

For instance, some may think Sierra Vista is a lovely place. However, it's also the 2nd largest pediatric leukemia and cancer cluster in the country! I don't know if you'd like to live there, but I most certainly do not.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:29 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,486,760 times
Quote:

For instance, some may think Sierra Vista is a lovely place. However, it's also the 2nd largest pediatric leukemia and cancer cluster in the country! I don't know if you'd like to live there, but I most certainly do not.
Thanks for the info. After living in the Valley for a few years I learned Maryvale was also a cancer cluster. Kind of explains a lot.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Thanks for the info. After living in the Valley for a few years I learned Maryvale was also a cancer cluster. Kind of explains a lot.
I was going to ask you if it's by the base, but I looked up the map and sure enough it is.

I'll be darned! It's also pediatric leukemia!

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1996-...n-of-maryvale/

Old 07-11-2010, 05:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,354,860 times
The Sunsites area is great, but it isn't Downtown Chicago ....

Oh wait .... That is why it is great. There is green but at an expense. The golf course is nice. Town is small, and we liked the food at the cafe/bar. Didn't get a chance to try the food at the country club. This is not my first bare desert purchase. Only 20 minutes to some real western scenery.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:07 PM

30 posts, read 103,030 times
Quote:
the zoning and building codes could drive some bonkers .
I was under the impression Cochise County was one of the easier counties to build in. Lord knows they could probably use the permit and impact fees. I was originally eyeing Maricopa County but didn't like the way they do things. Felt like a money grab was going on there.

Cochise has the scenery for sure. Those boulder fields in Dragoon were the coolest thing I saw all week when I visited. I wasn't thrilled with the Border Patrol checkpoint. It's a little offputting.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,354,860 times
It's all about money. First stop $100.00 for a permit to enter the highway (Driveway).

Old 03-16-2014, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,082 times
Default CSA in/near Sunsites?

Does anyone know that the surrounding towns have a need for Community Supported Agriculture? The husband and I are looking for good growing land in Arizona so that we are closed to Mom as she is getting older. We are organic farmers and would be offering produce and livestock to the local population. Is this type of agricultural industry welcome in this area? I hear rumor that the rainfall average is around 12 inches a year, is that accurate? How are the wildfires?

Thanks for your time!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistfulgardener View Post
Does anyone know that the surrounding towns have a need for Community Supported Agriculture? The husband and I are looking for good growing land in Arizona so that we are closed to Mom as she is getting older. We are organic farmers and would be offering produce and livestock to the local population. Is this type of agricultural industry welcome in this area? I hear rumor that the rainfall average is around 12 inches a year, is that accurate? How are the wildfires?

Thanks for your time!
Here's an article on Organic farming from the Sierra Vista paper you may find interesting. Note that Sierra Vista is one valley over in the San Pedro Valley (Sunsites is in the Sulphur Springs Valley (also mentioned in the article)) - here is a section of the article where it begins to specifically talk about the Sulpur Springs Valley:

"...Sulphur Springs Valley: Organic Oasis

Sulphur Springs Valley is ripe for organic truck farming because it is an existing agricultural production area that is close to markets via existing transportation corridors. According to the Center for Economic Research at Cochise College, the major crops are grains, however fruits, vegetables, and meat have become important. In 2007, the latest year stats are available, the total market value of industrial agricultural products sold was $117.1 million and the market value of livestock was $42.8 million, increases of 33 percent and 89 percent respectively from 2002..."

COMMENTARY: Organic agriculture offers opportunity | The Sierra Vista Herald

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona