Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times

Advertisements

I have an aunt and uncle who live near there. I haven't visited in a few yrs though. But there wasn't a gated community last time. There were lots of retirees but it wasn't a retirement community either. Although there might be both somewhere in Sunsites. I didn't see them. Most people there didn't seem to need it.

The area around there is beautiful. The Dragoons are to the west. The Chiricahuas way across the valley to the east. The town of Pearce sits in a valley that slopes down toward Wilcox. Elevation is around 4000 ft or higher. The climate is cooler than either Phoenix or Tucson.

Looking at maps, you can see someone deliberately subdivided the flats west of town. There is a grid of roads every mile or 1/2 mile that reminds me of Phoenix's grid. But hardly anybody is living on it. Maybe one or two houses per 160 acres or more.

Google maps has a street view of part of the town.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:12 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Even with the water and valley, it is still desert with desert vegetation. Most of those who say they own lots (like Myself) have bare desert lots. Water wells are expensive, septic is off the charts (as compared to what I used to pay in Pinal County). Most easterners are in shock when they see what they bought online.

Now for the good. Great weather, great views, good people (mostly), and a nice little town. I like it, but it is not for everyone. Although not gated the majority of the residents are over 55. It is, like many rural Arizona communities, safe because there are not a lot of drug users, and every other resident caries a firearm they are willing to use.

We are going with off-grid because a large Composting system is one third of the cost of a septic tank and rain water harvest and bulk water purchase is practically nothing as compared to a well. Solar is a 100 percent effective way to produce all the power you need if you know how to reduce what you are used to using. We have an eighteen thousand pound 5th wheel at 400 square feet that uses less then 50 amps at 120/240 volts. The cost of a 50 amp, 240 volt system with inverters and batteries in a package (Pre constructed cabinet) is half the cost of having a half mile of line run in from the nearest pole. At 62 I don’t expect to live much longer then the life expectancy of the system at 20 years, and by then we should have more development and commercial power throughout the area. We also plan on a Compressed Earth Block home and have designed it to also use the 50 amp solar system and six person composting waste system (There are just two of us).

The bottom line is see it before you buy, or bring money, and don’t expect Central Park. There is a reason this land is cheep. If like myself you are aware of the perils of purchasing bare desert land and some of the zoning issues it can be a real value.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Even with the water and valley, it is still desert with desert vegetation. Most of those who say they own lots (like Myself) have bare desert lots. Water wells are expensive, septic is off the charts (as compared to what I used to pay in Pinal County). Most easterners are in shock when they see what they bought online.

Now for the good. Great weather, great views, good people (mostly), and a nice little town. I like it, but it is not for everyone. Although not gated the majority of the residents are over 55. It is, like many rural Arizona communities, safe because there are not a lot of drug users, and every other resident caries a firearm they are willing to use.

We are going with off-grid because a large Composting system is one third of the cost of a septic tank and rain water harvest and bulk water purchase is practically nothing as compared to a well. Solar is a 100 percent effective way to produce all the power you need if you know how to reduce what you are used to using. We have an eighteen thousand pound 5th wheel at 400 square feet that uses less then 50 amps at 120/240 volts. The cost of a 50 amp, 240 volt system with inverters and batteries in a package (Pre constructed cabinet) is half the cost of having a half mile of line run in from the nearest pole. At 62 I don’t expect to live much longer then the life expectancy of the system at 20 years, and by then we should have more development and commercial power throughout the area. We also plan on a Compressed Earth Block home and have designed it to also use the 50 amp solar system and six person composting waste system (There are just two of us).

The bottom line is see it before you buy, or bring money, and don’t expect Central Park. There is a reason this land is cheep. If like myself you are aware of the perils of purchasing bare desert land and some of the zoning issues it can be a real value.
I knew there had to be a reason. There always is!

I'm sure it's beautiful as Cochise county is quite pretty in general, but that sounds like a lot of work to me. Of course, some people wouldn't mind it.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 13,165 times
Default Sunsite

This is from a third generation arizonan-run from there as fast as you can!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffmaz View Post
This is from a third generation arizonan-run from there as fast as you can!!!
Is it some old hazardous waste site...?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:33 AM

123 posts, read 350,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Is it some old hazardous waste site...?
No . . .

Some people have been had by some of the land scams in the past, if you want a house in the village $150,000 will buy you a nice home and lot, check out the picture myself and other's have posted in the first thread mentioned (https://www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...-thoughts.html)

If you typ in our zip code (85625) citidata will give you the info . . . not sure why they can't get it together with the name?

No gated communities, lots of people drive their golf carts around town . . . the village is basically one mile square, and that is paved, outside of that is dirt/gravel roads houses every mile or so apart . . . I do drive a school bus, so I know the roads pretty good in the village!

Be careful of buying an empty lot in the village, as there are few water hookups left . . . our well/sewer system in close to max capacity. Outside of the mile square you are on your own for water and sewer, wells are 450' - 600' deep about $30 per foot . . . even if you don't hit water, talk to a well driller before buying land . . .

So far this year I have collected 4.03" of rain in my gauge . . . summers hit 100+ a few days, winters hit 20 sometimes . . .

The school I work at is at the base of a hill which is the old gold mine . . .

Yes it is a drive to "town" and there are few jobs in the local area . . .

Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
No . . .
Oh, don't roll your eyes! There are plenty of those in the good ol' West!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Default Well . . .

Quote:
Oh, don't roll your eyes! There are plenty of those in the good ol' West!
Why? I live here, and you have never been here!

Quote:
Wow, what is THAT?!

Contact Camino Real Land Corporation, land sales in Sunsites, Arizona

Sunsites Land Rush

Good thing you mentioned Pearce at least because I had absolutely no idea what OP was talking about. Well, I'd heard of Pearce, but had no clue where it is, either (never mind; just found out what Pearce actually is). I've no recollection of seeing a sign pointing to such a road on I-10... Evidently the road to it shoots off I-10 between Benson and Wilcox, closer to Wilcox. You learn something every day. Maybe I should run and get me a few acres, too. That's some serious hawking... I wonder what's wrong with that picture (other than being a mile away from a ghost town)... Something has to be!

I should check it out some day.

Our Community of Pearce-Sunsites, AZ

There may be some haz-mat dump sites in the West, but . . . "The Good Ol' West" covers alot of acres . . .

Come on out, there is a reason there are people attracted to Sunsites/Pearce area!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
Why? I live here, and you have never been here!

There may be some haz-mat dump sites in the West, but . . . "The Good Ol' West" covers alot of acres . . .

Come on out, there is a reason there are people attracted to Sunsites/Pearce area!
I just asked a question.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I just asked a question.
Steve explained the reason in his last line, just after you made his text bold . . .

There is not much water here, it is deep, and the land is rather desolate, some people don't care for that sort of stuff . . . long distances between homes, most things are yellowish brown most of the year, no "real" trees, mostly mesquete bushes . . . more border patrol than illegals, but not a rare ocurance to see either . . . the zoning and building codes could drive some bonkers . . . Hey, it is not the city, no fast food unless you call the taco wagon parked next to the Post Office Mon - Fri fast food, it is VERY Good eating, probably the best in the area if you ask me! Pizza joint coming to town, but no progress in the last 5 months or so . . . not sure why they stopped building . . .

Our Post Office covers almost 40 square miles! there is lots of bare barren land, don't be surprised to see cattle in the road, or a rattle snake! Good rabbit hunting, so also plenty of coyotes too! (keep your little cats and doggies close by if out in the desert.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona