Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 PM

276 posts, read 805,475 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to AZ come July 1st till about the 15th. I have taken some leave time... and want to see the big city, but want to also look at some cooler areas in AZ. I have been in the military long enough to retire, and I want to start looking for a place to lay down roots.

I would like to also look for a place where I can get employment as a cop.. I am told I can do a lateral transfer to any force in the nation.. I may just have to take a state test and physical fitness test for the dept. I join.

So any ideas of a cooler place in AZ, with trees, and maybe a large body of water near by? I like to fish and boat and so forth. I am older so I am not a big Bar fly, and besides I dont go out much anyways.. but shopping would be nice for any lady in my life to utilize, something she and I can walk and enjoy.

EDIT: Granny I reposted it.. you can delete this in the Phoenix forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 03:57 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
Sounds like you would enjoy Prescott, they have a few lakes, such as Lynx and Watson which are both great for fishing. Prescott has a mix of tall pines and high desert, and a great climate. You're in a small town, but have everything you need, there is a movie theater, some nightlift, good amount of shopping, and some good dining.

Do you want snow? Prescott gets some snow, but compared to other towns it has a mild winter.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:03 PM

29 posts, read 83,551 times
Check Camp Verde. We lived there for 20 + years before moving out of state. It's a nice small town, some pleasant green areas, reasonable distance to Phoenix, Prescott, Flagstaff. Several law eforcement agencies. Check the classifieds on this site, ziillow, and craigslist for places for sale. Direct message me for any specific info that I might offer....good luck to you!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:28 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
Prescott is cooler, but it is now getting hotter though. But it's still bearable to handle. There's Watson and Lynx Lakes, but they are such a drive into the country (kind of a boring drive in my opinion).

But if you really want lots of body of water nearby, your best choice is Lake Havasu. Or Martinez Lake in Yuma (but it's really hot there).

Sorry that I couldn't help you more.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Fool Hollow Lake near Show Low and Pinetop/Lakeside?

Old 06-17-2010, 05:35 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,476,118 times
My vote would be Alpine or Young

Old 06-18-2010, 12:53 AM

276 posts, read 805,475 times
Thanks. I will look into those places.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM

861 posts, read 2,191,895 times
The beer cooler down at the QT might suffice...

Old 06-19-2010, 05:48 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Also look into Payson, absolutely beautiful country up there.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoyBliss View Post
I am planning a trip to AZ come July 1st till about the 15th. I have taken some leave time... and want to see the big city, but want to also look at some cooler areas in AZ. I have been in the military long enough to retire, and I want to start looking for a place to lay down roots.
Advice: Take more than 1 visit before you move. Simple reason...Flagstaff in summer is a whole lot different than Flagstaff in winter. (Flagstaff had either the 1st or 2nd most snow in the US this year.....which from people who have lived there in Flagstaff for over 35yrs have said it was more of a typical winter they remember)

Quote:
I would like to also look for a place where I can get employment as a cop.. I am told I can do a lateral transfer to any force in the nation.. I may just have to take a state test and physical fitness test for the dept. I join.
I wouldn't come to AZ with that expectation....almost all localities have budget problems. Not many are hiring..(exception the border patrole...it's an actual war going on...over 20,000 killed in Northern Mexico and border)

Quote:
So any ideas of a cooler place in AZ, with trees, and maybe a large body of water near by? I like to fish and boat and so forth. I am older so I am not a big Bar fly, and besides I dont go out much anyways.. but shopping would be nice for any lady in my life to utilize, something she and I can walk and enjoy.
Depends by what you mean by "large & cooler".....but generally speaking Northern AZ....
  • anything north of Prescott\Prescott Valley for temps
  • Prescott\Prescott Valley, Sedona, Flagstaff for shopping
  • lakes?....go to google maps to decide what you think "large" is.
Keep in mind:
    • AZ has been in a drought for over 10yrs. Lake Mead is down by some 100'
    • AZ is still a desert
    • cool in Northern AZ (summer) is about 85
    • Flagstaff elevation is @8000'
    • "cool" + ""large lakes" + "shopping" in AZ = $$$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona