Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:12 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,390 times

Advertisements

My House under construction is that style, Mediterranean means Bricks, Stone, Ceramics, Arcs, columns, and Ceramic Roof tiles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 09:49 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
My House under construction is that style, Mediterranean means Bricks, Stone, Ceramics, Arcs, columns, and Ceramic Roof tiles

Impressive! Please post pictures of it when it is done

Old 10-21-2016, 10:28 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Impressive! Please post pictures of it when it is done
Like 3 years ahead

It is slow, I am building it without mortgages, just by my monthly wage.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:23 AM

22 posts, read 15,181 times
i think its because the it looks simple and classy.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:27 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
In modern times California was settled by the Spanish. The missions and early ranchos were built in a Spanish colonial vernacular. Later Spanish revival styles were popular in the early 20th century in California and Florida. The warm temperatures and landscaping go well with Spanish and meditterranean architecture. It remains popular today....
Same goes for a large part of Texas.

Here is a rather large, but nicely designed, one floor Spanish/Mediterranean being built in Austin:

http://www.jaureguiarchitect.com/img...llam-Front.jpg

Old 12-22-2016, 06:47 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
Med style is an architecture with a meaning, modern buildings are just utilitarian and videogames by archistars, they have no meaning.
I agree.

All pre-Modern architecture has a greater relationship to its setting and function than Modern. The words used to praise Modernism are usually the opposite of what actually exists. And Modernism doesn't serve the function for which the structure was intended.

The Mediterranean style has a function intended in its design but that, too, fails when one builds a Med style house in (ie) Buffalo, NY.

BTW, I think "starchitects" sounds better than "archistars" because the whole of "architects" is written.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:59 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
No. I mean California and Florida.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
There have always been houses in the Mediterranean style in CA. It started with the Spanish, who colonized the SW, and continued under Mexico, of course. It's a beautiful architectural style, and Coastal California certainly is Mediterranean in climate, most of it. I don't know how strong the Spanish heritage in Florida was. It sounds like an odd question to ask about CA; you sound as though you're under the impression it's something new. It goes back hundreds of years.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarc25 View Post
i think its because the it looks simple and classy.
This, too. But the style originally included big, shaded verandas, and inner courtyards, two features that were perfectly suited to mild climates. Not so much for snowy climes.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
This is not the typical style, though. The style in California would have part of the second floor overhanging a tiled veranda on the ground floor, with the beams showing on the underside of the 2nd floor. Yours also looks like the ground floor is built of river rock or some kind of stone, which isn't typical.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:30 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,891,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is not the typical style, though. The style in California would have part of the second floor overhanging a tiled veranda on the ground floor, with the beams showing on the underside of the 2nd floor. Yours also looks like the ground floor is built of river rock or some kind of stone, which isn't typical.
What you are describing is a sub-type within the domestic Mediterranean style, the Monterey, which arose out of the central California area surrounding the Missions and the large Ranchos of the era.

But I agree that the pictured house under construction is atypical of the Mediterranean styles that made their way over here, it being more of southern Mediterranean coastal/island design that one would find in Greece, Malta or similar area.

Being in California, I love the rich variety of Mediterranean/Spanish styles so common here that evoke so much of the era and geographical area, including our handsome '20s Spanish Revival on the canyon above the sea. It fits so well here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum