Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:10 AM

207 posts, read 614,026 times

Advertisements

Hi There!
Maybe relocating to Michigan from the South. We use to live closer to Detroit. We may move back but will want a change of scenery. We are really looking at the Ann Arbor area and surrounding areas. We are a young family just under 30 and one little one (3 yrs old), possibly more to come. Our children are most likely going to go to private catholic school so this plays an important role in where we move. But a good public school district is important as sometimes private school may not always be in the financial cards. We may not move for a few years. But I always like to gather as much information as possible. I look forward to your help and advice. Thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 05:34 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Here's some information on school districts in the area: Michigan schools - MI elementary, middle and high school information

Old 01-31-2010, 02:37 PM

It seems Chelsea is pretty expensive, is there a nice place near Chelsea, like a Township that is close by? A nice way of living near the city without city prices?

Old 01-31-2010, 03:03 PM

172 posts, read 471,198 times
Chelsea is expensive (compared to other areas in the state) but it is pretty great if Ann Arbor is too "bustling" and big for you. I'm sure you know all the benefits of living in Ann Arbor so I won't go on about that. I lived in Chelsea for several years when we were first married and up until our son was 2. It is about 10 minutes to all the amenities of ann arbor, good schools, adorable downtown with lots of great family friendly festivals, a farmer's market, the purple rose theater, a great meat/cheese/wine market downtown, a handful of good coffee spots, grocery store and a top-notch small town library. Plus some great playgroups and art programs for kids. So despite the cost it may be worth it. If cost really is the deciding factor, check out Norvell and Grass Lake. These areas are about 5 to 10 minutes by highway from Chelsea and in some instances, you child can attend Chelsea schools depending on where you live. Dexter might also be an area to check out.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:12 PM

Thank you Aquadejoe! I agree you can not put a price on a great place to raise a family that is for sure! We don't necessarily need to walk to town, so I will look at those other areas that are close by. I am also curious about private schools around the area. I am simply taking notes right now so if it is far better to live in town, then I want to for sure make a note of that. Thank you for your response

Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 AM

If and when I come back to Michigan I would look at coming back as an elementary teacher. Any work on how teaching is doing as a profession in the Ann Arbor/Chelsea area?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,932,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymccamper View Post
If and when I come back to Michigan I would look at coming back as an elementary teacher. Any work on how teaching is doing as a profession in the Ann Arbor/Chelsea area?
There are very few teaching jobs in the entire State, particularly in desirable living areas or high pay scale districts. I read a report two or three years ago, before things here got REALLY bad, that stated 70% of Michigan's newly graduating teachers are taking jobs out of state.

Previously the Detroit district was a source of teaching employment, primarily because so few wanted to work there. Charter schools are another option, but many of these are affiliated with a particular religion and nearly all of them provide the lowest possible salaries with no benefits.

Michigan's Governor just unveiled a plan that would strongly motivate all public employees (which includes teachers) with 30 years or more of credited service to retire this year. If this is adopted by the Legislature we will see a brief window of significant hiring as the next few year's worth of retirees all leave in 2010, followed by years of nearly no hiring.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Chelsea is very hard to beat even comparing everywhere in the country.

Dexter is a great place. Saline is decent too. It got kid of over built out though.

Tecumseh is very nice small town, but rather a long way from Ann Arbor.

South Lyon/Lyon township & Salem is about 20 - 25 minutes away. Not as quaint. Not as good schools, but still a nice option. Schools are good, jsut not of the caliber of Chelsea, Dexter or Ann Arbor's better schools.

Ann Arbor Township is fairly nice, but there are better options.

Job as a teacher? A superintendant told me that they adversited a teaching job last year and got 1200 applications. If you cna stand out amongst 1200 applicants, then you have a decent chance. If you are average, then you might find some part time positions. You can always substaitute, but you get paid just over minimum wage and work sporadically. The schools often subscribe to a service. They call you at 5:30 a.m. and ask if you want ot fill a position that day. My wife did it and still does once in a while, but it is not something to base your primary means of support on. Sometimes you go for weeks with no work.

I am not sure howmany retirees will be replaced. A lot of schools are cutting back. A lot of places are downsizing as families move away hoping to find jobs elsewhere.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 PM

15 posts, read 33,351 times
Stick with Ann Arbor for work. Larger city. You can commute from plenty of smaller and more reasonably priced towns. Avoid Ypsilanti as you have a child. Plymouth Canton is close and a very nice place to raise a family. Wouldn't go any further east than that though. Avoid Detroit at all costs. Chelsea is nice but pricey. You might get to see Jeff Daniels as he is their favorite son and owner of the Purple Rose theatre there. Have a job first. Easter Michigan University pumps out teachers at a huge rate and competition here is fierce.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:07 PM

25 posts, read 60,819 times
Chelsea is nice and it has that cute Teddy Bear Factory and little shops and gourmet candy and ice cream downtown. The houses are nice and it feels like home. Ann arbor is known for great schools. Check out Saline, it is close to Ann Arbor and has a lot of new homes being constructed and some historical homes. Grass Lake is a tiny spot of quiet country that is in between Chelsea and Ann Arbor. I suggest you look for more info from www.wicklandgroup.com and the blog he has too. You can see all current listings for the entire area including further east in Northville, Canton and Plymouth, also great places for raising kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor