Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,255 times

Advertisements

we are a family of 4 relocating to ann arbor. can anyone tell me anything about the haisley area? and the king area? what are their reputations like? we are looking for a large home with an emphasis on a good school for our kids. we are coming from living in a modern 4000+ sq ft home so we are used to the space and not really looking for a fixer-upper (from what we can tell the homes in the burns park/angells area are like) . can someone please help me with an honest and local perspective on the breakdown of the neighborhoods. also, looking in ann arbor school district only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
A family of four in a 4,000 sq ft house? Sounds like you need some lessons in sustainable living and not wasting as much on material goods.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 9,255 times
Wow, I thought this was a legit site where you can ask relocating questions. Didn't know I was going to get such negative feedback. I don't think you are one to judge another person.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 AM

68 posts, read 171,992 times
I just wanted to let you know not everyone is like that here. I don't post often but when I do, I usually receive positive feedback. I don't know anything about that area but wish you luck and hope you get the responses you were looking for.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:30 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,048 times
^ ditto

I don 't know about Ann Arbor neighborhoods specifically. I do know that the "suburbs" you will find a better bang for your buck. More newer built homes with the space you are accustomed to. The best thing is that although you won't be in Ann Arbor "proper" you will still be in Ann Arbor school district.

Areas like Pittsfield, and Superior Township <--- have to aware that this township school district is broken into 3 different school districts Ann Arbor is one, but so is Willow Run, so be do your homework. But some homes are very nice secluded newly built modern homes in Superior Township. Governor Snyder lives there, and decided against moving to the governor's mansion in Lansing, opting to keep his official address as Superior Township because of Ann Arbor schools.

There are more options than living in Ann Arbor city limits.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 PM

189 posts, read 704,898 times
I don't know about specific elementary schools such as Haisley and King, but i do know that the Ann Arbor schools don't always send your child to the elementary closest to where you live. Burns Park happens to be one of the most sought-after neighborhoods in Ann Arbor...as well as Ann Arbor Hills. The prices are high though- most around $1 million for a house that size, plus they are mostly older homes, which it sounds like you don't really want. Even though you said only Ann Arbor Schools, I think Saline is the best fit for you. Its about a 10-15 minute drive from Ann Arbor. The schools are highly regarded, and there are lots of large homes. Plus, because of the housing boom, you can buy a 4000 sq foot home in the $400,000s+. Look at subdivisions such as Lohr Lake, Stonebridge, Travis Pointe, Brookview Highlands, and York Woods....may be something that could work for you. Good luck!
Welcome To Saline Area Schools
City of Saline, Michigan
Saline, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-25-2011, 11:26 AM

382 posts, read 1,053,763 times
After 'Why does Detroit suck?", "Where should I live in Ann Arbor?" has to be the second most common question on here.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:39 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
There aren't bad schools in Ann Arbor to get placed in geographically. There's Roberto Clemente, but if your kids end up there, it's because thats what they deserve...
There aren't really bad areas of Ann Arbor either. Especially not where you'd find 4000sf houses! Some of the area between Jackson and Huron River Drive along Stadium/Maple isn't great, but it's also older housing stock 1/3rd of the size your looking for.
Along Maple south of Liberty isn't great either with the co-ops, but it's all apartments and townhouses through there.

Or you could look outside the city limits. A much higher chance of finding a giant house. None of the districts south, north, or west of the city or bad. most are at least as good as Ann Arbor's schools - Dexter, Chelsea, Saline, Pinckney.

Quote:
A family of four in a 4,000 sq ft house? Sounds like you need some lessons in sustainable living and not wasting as much on material goods.
You'll have to put up with this a lot too. Most of the area does not put up with vapid consumerism and vanity. Most live within their means.
Or you'll have to put up with it for other reasons outside the city. In the 80s it was a bigger deal, but since then a lot of the old families/farmers have moved out. I knew a lot of people who had lived in the area so long, the roads were named after their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor