Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 04:20 PM

17 posts, read 90,523 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I know there are many posts on here about where the best places are to live and not live in Anchorage and I've read them all. I need more specifics...I'm relocating from Knoxville, TN to Wasilla. For the time being I will be living in Wasilla with my parents, but I am wanting to work and possibly live in Anchorage. I realize it's a matter of perception, but everything I've read on these posts have made Anchorage out to be this high crime area. I've lived in Atlanta and I find it hard believe that it can really be that bad.

Are you just trying to scare people off because you don't people moving to the area? I will be moving up there in about 3 weeks and plan on looking around, but I haven't found much in the area of rentals. From what I've read, commuting from Eagle River is the best option. I don't mind commuting, but can anybody give me specific apartment complexes to look at. Eventually I would like to end up in the Penisula, but at this moment Anchorage looks like my best bet.

Any honest help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 04:33 PM

366 posts, read 386,757 times
I don't think anyone here has any vested interest in keeping people out of Anchorage. The crime stats are available to anyone who wants them, and if you'll notice there were several people who went out of their way to explain to potential newcomers that it really isn't as bad as the stats make it sound.

Can't help you out with apartments and stuff but I'd say that once you get up here and start working, you'll get word of mouth info on things like that.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:43 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
I think you can find rental/housing stuff through the Anchorage paper. You'll have to register I think...but if your moving up it won't hurt to see whats happening around town.

www.adn.com

Old 03-16-2007, 11:27 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,934 times
There's nothing wrong with Anchorage. It has the same problems that plague any other city of comparable size. The gangs are Samoan or Filipino or Native. The drugs contribute to the local problems. There are seedy sides of town, namely Spenard, Mountain View and Muldoon. But there are nice little neighborhoods within those areas, too.

We're not murder central, like Atlanta or Detroit. The people in town are, on the whole, nicer than most folks you'd ever meet anywhere else. There is still a mentality, for a lot of them, of "us against the rest of the world". Alaska is more than just physically separate from the rest of the country.

We have a different way of thinking up here.

We have a live and let live, laissez-faire, kind of mind-set.

Although the majority of people are conservative, it's a thin majority, and people are allowed to say what they want to say.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:09 AM

17 posts, read 90,523 times
Thank you. I just wanted to know more specifics...that's all. It actually looks like a very nice place and I'm excited to get up there an explore. I just wanted to have some ideas from people who live there. It's hard to get an overview on the internet.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 20,363 times
Anchorage is a fun place to live and play in. The previous post mentioned a couple of the bad areas...and pretty much if you arent in a gang you even ok in those areas. They are working hard on improving Mountain View, putting in a new shopping complex and such. There will probably still be a stigma attached though. Just go during the day and have someone with you. As for Wasilla, its a nice town too with lots of jobs and cheaper housing. Whats you get up there you will have a better idea of what its all about!

Old 03-17-2007, 02:12 PM

12 posts, read 52,039 times
Anchorage is not that bad of a city. Yes we have our share of crime but as with any city it is a small fraction of the people who are commiting it. Anchorage has a strong econemy and is rapidly trying to catch up with other cities in terms of infastructure. The job market here is not bad and growing everyyear. The people are nice here and if you don't mind a bit of a winter the trade off for summer is more than equal. Wasilla is the fastest growing part of Alaska at the moment and has been for the last several years.
As for the last person who mentioned going to mountain view during the day with someone is so typical of people who are afraid of their own shadows. Mt. View isn't really that bad(especially comming from Alanta).If your looking for trouble you can find it but as long as your not looking to contribute to the problems Anchorage is a great place to live.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:27 PM

35 posts, read 328,089 times
I would be more afraid to live in Wasilla or "the valley" for that matter. For fear of mistakeningly stumbling upon or getting to near to someones basement pot growing operation or some other sort of illegal drug production facility.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 20,048 times
Default Its not bad

I live in the valley and growing up I always heard horror stories about mountain view, spenard and muldoon. But it really isnt bad I drive in Anchorage all the time, especially late at night and have never seen or heard anything. I watch movies at the muldoon theater and today I ate at a nice little resturant called Hula Hands in Mt. View! They have amazing food!!! I have never had a bad experience, though I am not looking for trouble. If your looking for trouble just like anywhere youll find it but... I really dont think crime is a big deal.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:07 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Sounds like Anchorage might be a good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage