Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:16 PM

82 posts, read 393,510 times

Advertisements

I am probably not qualified to give an opinion on Anchorage but I am going to give my perception since I have visited a lot of cities in the lower 48 of varying sizes and I must say Anchorage beats them all hands down. I have concluded that Anchorage is the city of the future. I was so pleasantly surprised everytime I was there. I have never seen such friendliness in a city of its size or bigger. It is much much nicer then Albuquerque which is slightly bigger. I was so amazed that I could walk down the street and not have to be panhandled every ten feet. I did not go venturing into the bad parts of town but I have learned that you find trouble when you go looking for trouble. Yeah things cost more there but what do you expect when you are so far north and it was not as bad as I thought either. The city has got it together. There is all kinds of people and they seem to get along fairly well along with the great schools it is ideal to raise a child there. I am sure the 64 quake had a lot to do with the people having to bond together but I am sure there are lots of other factors too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 12:12 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,492,087 times
Default Albuquerque is over 3 times larger than ANC

I guess its been a while since you've been to Albuquerque. Some estimates put the total population here at or approaching 800,000 when you include the west side communities. The "official" count of just the municipality is already over a half million. In any case, WAY too big. Too many people, too many issues with water, and increasingly too much pollution and traffic. The violent crime rates in ABQ have always been uncomfortably above average, but they're about double that of ANC on a per-capita basis.

All in all, if you don't mind shoveling some snow, ANC is a way better place to live...IMHO.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:25 AM

82 posts, read 393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
I guess its been a while since you've been to Albuquerque. Some estimates put the total population here at or approaching 800,000 when you include the west side communities. The "official" count of just the municipality is already over a half million. In any case, WAY too big. Too many people, too many issues with water, and increasingly too much pollution and traffic. The violent crime rates in ABQ have always been uncomfortably above average, but they're about double that of ANC on a per-capita basis.

All in all, if you don't mind shoveling some snow, ANC is a way better place to live...IMHO.
I live in Albuquerque. Maybe I am a little crazy for saying the sizes are similar but Albuquerque just seems smaller then it actually is. Maybe it is just me. I was guessing that the main area of Albuqueruque is about 400,000 excluding Rio Rancho, Los Ranchos and other not Albuqueruque incorporated areas. I guess you can not compare them based on that. Forgive me.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 11,777 times
Hi, I too am looking to relocate to anchorage. I am being recruited by the anchorage school district. I have two girls, 9th and 6th grades. What neighborhoods would you recommend in anchorage?
Also, how far of a drive is Wasilla and Eagle river?

Old 06-17-2007, 10:07 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,240,348 times
It works for me.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 12,639 times
Default RE: Moving to Alasak

Hi:

I know your posting is kind of old but I came across it and thought I'd add my two cents in since I'm fairly new hear also. I've been here about three months in the Anchorage area.

NO, people are not trying to scare you away from coming to Alaska. There is more than enough room for anyone here. BUT - Anchorage is, unfortunately, in most areas, the pits! It is nothing like the "real" Alaska. High crime, drugs, alcoholism, traffic, rude people, yes, they're all here just like in any other big city in the lower 48. Although there aren't that many people, relatively speaking, in Anchorage, to me it's the pits and I'm moving out of this area. The problem is, Anchorage is really the only big city, other than Fairbanks. There are hundreds of smaller cities but the don't have the emenities of a larger city. It's kind of a catch 22. If you don't mind driving 45 minutes or so out of town, then you can live in a nice, safe, decent place, but Anchorage, it's the pits.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,483,607 times
Cool Anchorage tid-bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIcheesehead View Post
Hi, I too am looking to relocate to anchorage. I am being recruited by the anchorage school district. I have two girls, 9th and 6th grades. What neighborhoods would you recommend in anchorage?
Also, how far of a drive is Wasilla and Eagle river?
Wasilla is between 35 and 45 miles from Anchorage (depending on which end of town you live), and Eagle River is 10 to 15 miles from Anchorage.

The areas of Anchorage I would recommend to a family would be:

1. South Anchorage;
2. West Anchorage; and
3. Central Anchorage (between 15th and Dimond)

Areas in Anchorage I would avoid:

1. Spenard;
2. Muldoon; and
3. Mountain View.

Property taxes are very high in Anchorage (mill rate of 15), but there is no sales tax. There is also a low vacancy rate, between 1% and 2%, so finding a nice place to live may take a little time. The violent crime rate for Anchorage in 2003 was 6.4 per 1,000 people, which is comparible with most cities with a population of just over a quarter million. The cost of living index for Anchorage is 124 (100 is the national norm), which is tied with Boston, MA. The median price for a home in Anchorage is $295,900. 62.2% vote Republican, 34.7% vote Democrat, and 2.9% vote Independent in Anchorage. The average annual snowfall in Anchorage is 76".

Old 09-05-2007, 12:40 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,240,348 times
'Kay, Dimond HS and Mears MS are the schools I can actually sound intelligent about. Mears has every after school program known to man (I should know as my youngest boy was involved in every one -trac, wrestling, soccer, chorus, band, etc, etc.). Dimond has a lot of after school programs, including x-country skiing, biathlon, basketball, football, etc. Drama is the one the the middle boy seems to be most involved with, and not just at school.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 AM

413 posts, read 1,846,972 times
Hi all. Just thought I'd pop in to ask a stupid question. Is it true that 6 months a year Alaska is dark? That would be depressing, well not that Northern Indiana isn't depressing.
I'm just going to different state forums in here out of curiousity. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,483,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Hi all. Just thought I'd pop in to ask a stupid question. Is it true that 6 months a year Alaska is dark? That would be depressing, well not that Northern Indiana isn't depressing.
I'm just going to different state forums in here out of curiousity. Thanks!
No, it isn't true. First of all, you have to be above 67°N latitude (a.k.a. Arctic Circle) for there to be 24 hours of total darkness in the winter (or 24 hours of total daylight in the summer) and even then it only lasts for 3 months. The days begin to get shorter after the Summer Solstice, and begin to get longer after the Winter Solstice.

Anchorage, the largest city in Alaska, gets about 3.5 hours of daylight on Winter Solstice, and 20.5 hours of daylight on Summer Solstice.

If you aren't used to it, the lack of light can cause Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which is a form of depression. Getting outside during the winter, or just staying active, a few extra lights around the house, and maintaining a regular sleep schedule is the best way to fight off those winter blues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage