Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:30 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,233,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
highlife2,

I suggest that you spend some time learning Alaska history. Especially ANILCA, the military in Alaska, KOBATA and the bridge, (and not just what you read on the KOBATA site or hear from a KOBATA person), Alaska economics, and the history of the Alaska Pipeline.

After you honestly do that then you get back to us.

You might want to brush up on the type of Govt. the USA is supposed to be.

Actually we were supposed to be a Representative Republic.

"A republic and a democracy are identical in every aspect except one. In a republic the sovereignty is in each individual person. In a democracy the sovereignty is in the group."

Republic vs. Democracy
If I get really really bored I might research something that dry and non applicable. I might actually look up the definition of a republic but we most certainly were not meant to be a democracy because democracy does in fact = mob rule. IT was a representative democracy with VERY tight controls on who was allowed to vote, not so anymore so voting has become a statistical insignificance.

Back in the 60's and 70's the bridge made no sense because there was room to expand in anchorage and during the 80s the market crashed. Now days prices are sky high so it is time, the bridge is a purely economic necessity, I don't need to know the history of Alaska in every dry minute detail to know that I can go on the MLS and see homes selling for 450k that cost 200k or less in most other parts of the country. When it comes down to it that's really all that matters is the bottom line of the cost of doing business and living in a given area.

If it does not get built then it does not get built, I have no intention of spending 450k just to live in an area and house I like so I will extract as much money as I can from oil and gas and look at investing else where and just rent here (for as cheap as I can get away with)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 12:40 AM

I guess in regards to SB21 if people want to vote to torpedo the entire economy then should they have that right? Should the will of the ignorant masses be able to institute legislation that take food out of my families mouths and/or force major upheavals in my life?

And for what no individual person sees the oil tax money, it goes into state coffers and evaporates into who knows where.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:28 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,863,077 times
Woman are attracted to educated men.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,314,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I guess in regards to SB21 if people want to vote to torpedo the entire economy then should they have that right? Should the will of the ignorant masses be able to institute legislation that take food out of my families mouths and/or force major upheavals in my life?

And for what no individual person sees the oil tax money, it goes into state coffers and evaporates into who knows where.

Incorrect, all eligible residents of Alaska receive a literal piece of that pie= Permanent Fund DIvidend.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:12 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,621,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
[/b]

Incorrect, all eligible residents of Alaska receive a literal piece of that pie= Permanent Fund DIvidend.
Except that very little of your PFD is actually from oil money anymore. The PFD comes from the earnings of the Permanent Fund which comes from the 49 Billion dollars they have invested in stocks, bonds & real estate. The oil companies could be taxed the moon and it wouldn't affect your PFD amount.

Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation

"Realized income earned from the Fund’s investments is accounted for in the earnings reserve account by state law. On June 30 of each year, the Legislature appropriates funds from the account for dividends, inflation proofing and for whatever other lawful purpose the Legislature may designate. All income in the earnings reserve is available for appropriation. Each year, the dividend distribution is calculated using a formula set in state law. The formula is based on an average of the Fund’s income over five years in order to produce a more stable flow of dividend amounts from year to year.
How the PFD amount is calculated

1. Add Fund Statutory Net Income from the current plus the previous four fiscal years.
  2. Multiply by 21%
  3. Divide by 2
  4. Subtract prior year obligations, expenses and PFD program operations
  5. Divide by the number of eligible applicants
Once the dividend amount has been calculated, the next step is to determine if enough income is available in the earnings reserve account to pay the dividend. While the full amount of the earnings reserve account is available for appropriation, the principal is not. It is possible that, in a given year, the calculation may produce a dividend although the funds may not be available to pay it."

Our "piece of the pie" is that we don't have to pay state income tax or a state sales tax.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:54 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,863,077 times
I heard that Russia needs oil and gas workers.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:38 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,314,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Except that very little of your PFD is actually from oil money anymore. The PFD comes from the earnings of the Permanent Fund which comes from the 49 Billion dollars they have invested in stocks, bonds & real estate. The oil companies could be taxed the moon and it wouldn't affect your PFD amount.

Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation

"Realized income earned from the Fund’s investments is accounted for in the earnings reserve account by state law. On June 30 of each year, the Legislature appropriates funds from the account for dividends, inflation proofing and for whatever other lawful purpose the Legislature may designate. All income in the earnings reserve is available for appropriation. Each year, the dividend distribution is calculated using a formula set in state law. The formula is based on an average of the Fund’s income over five years in order to produce a more stable flow of dividend amounts from year to year.
How the PFD amount is calculated

1. Add Fund Statutory Net Income from the current plus the previous four fiscal years.
  2. Multiply by 21%
  3. Divide by 2
  4. Subtract prior year obligations, expenses and PFD program operations
  5. Divide by the number of eligible applicants
Once the dividend amount has been calculated, the next step is to determine if enough income is available in the earnings reserve account to pay the dividend. While the full amount of the earnings reserve account is available for appropriation, the principal is not. It is possible that, in a given year, the calculation may produce a dividend although the funds may not be available to pay it."

Our "piece of the pie" is that we don't have to pay state income tax or a state sales tax.
Nitpick! The base funds are direct tax distributions! Without them there would no PFD, no funds to invest. Good grief, man! I have received every single PFD disbursement, thus have had ample opportunity to read what you posted over the years.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:13 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,621,239 times
Quote:
Nitpick! The base funds are direct tax distributions! Without them there would no PFD, no funds to invest. Good grief, man! I have received every single PFD disbursement, thus have had ample opportunity to read what you posted over the years.
I too have received every single PFD (Yay for free money!!). And I completely agree, it was oil money that got the ball rolling. And there's still oil money going into the fund.
But, there is A LOT of people, including A LOT of Alaskans who think that the PFD is a direct payout from oil money. I've heard more than one person say: "Gasoline prices are high, why isn't my dividend going up?"

Old 02-21-2014, 12:18 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Wishful thinking stage?
So no real hope or threat (depending on your viewpoint) is eminent.

And thanks for the ballotpedia link. Looks like there are still check and balances to stuff getting on the ballot by a citizens initiative.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
The PFD is not leveraging enough to tank the oil and gas economy from which I derive an income FAR in excess of the PFD. The PFD is noise in terms of dollar amounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage