Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I agree with you there, but I think every American is moving increasingly to a simple "American" ethnic group. I've seen that especially so with Black and White Americans. It's about time too

Interesting you should say that--I sure hope so.

Read the link below--fascinating:

mutual assimilation « Abagond

Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I wanna say not all Argentinians are like that. They actually arent (though the new cd member -Moto something- seems to fit this douche-stereotype that people seem to have about argentinians and it sucks), there is rude, racist people and a lot of nice people too. Word.
As someone who worked in the service industry, trust me, I know that jerks come from everywhere and in every color, but I just found it odd how every single Argentine was the exact same. It's funny, one day a group of Argentines and Uruguayans came in (5). We played a game to see who was Argentine and who wasn't. We all were able to tell who was who based on the..."difficult" nature with which every Argentine treated non-Anglo-Saxon Whites. From the eye rolling, to ignoring, and to the white workers, the Argentines kept asking why the Capital of the US had so many blacks, and then they would scoff and say something like (como Brasil). I mean, UGH!

Needless to say, they were asked to not return to our restaurant, another common feature of the gauchos...

I speak portuguese, and because I want to work in South America, I also want to learn Spanish. I would love, love, LOVE to learn the Rioplatenese dialect, even though it's only spoken in Uruguay and Argentina. It's truly beautiful, but I've increasingly decided to learn the Colombian dialect (which is also more understandable to others) because I can't IMAGINE how awfully I'd be treated in BA as a black man.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Interesting you should say that--I sure hope so.

Read the link below--fascinating:

mutual assimilation « Abagond

I've definitely seen this in places like Chicago and the Eastern US in general. While there is still some definite stereotypes that still come through, there is more openness and cultural exchange.

These easing of tensions, mixed with the growing hispanic and asian population, will make for one very different America from the last Century, and despite all the nostalgia for the 1950's or 1920's that some Americans have, I say Thank God for that!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
The Americans have a similar complex. They are always calling themselves white and "European". They say "I'm Irish, Hungarian and part Klingon" and most don't even know where they came from or what is their real ethnic background.

What Argentines resent most is that "Indian" countries such as Chile, Colombia and Peru are outperforming them at every level. Chile is about to become a First World Nation, while Argentineans are stuck with dandruffy and outdated Peronists such as Cristinita, a true demagogue supported by cabecitas negras and rabble.
I dont think it's necessarily about wanting to be European because many Americans dont even like Europeans much or their liberal values. I live in the South where most people are very proud to be American, but they still claim Irish, English, German, etc. Not because they want to be European, but because it makes them seem more interesting. In a country like the US, where most people came from somewhere else, you dont want to be the boring one who cant claim various ancestries. It's not about trying to be European or whiter, because lots of people in the US claim to be part Native American, even racist people... I wonder if people claim that in Latin American countries.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 AM

689 posts, read 2,160,478 times
I don't get the relevance of it at all. Here is an equivalent exercise.

1. Lay a road map of your state or country on the kitchen table.

2. Using a piece of carbon paper, trace the outline of africa on your road map.

3. Cut out the Africa-shape with a pair of scissors.

4. Look at it, and see if you can see any relevance to what you have just done.

5. Kick yourself in the butt for being so stupid, wasting so much time, and spoiling a good map.

6. Come back here and tell us about it.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 AM

61 posts, read 67,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I wanna say not all Argentinians are like that. They actually arent (though the new cd member -Moto something- seems to fit this douche-stereotype that people seem to have about argentinians and it sucks), there is rude, racist people and a lot of nice people too. Word.
I would say that you are extremely xingoist, and you are not conscious on how rude you are. You started it.

You faced me with extreme prejudice and rudeness without knowing anything of me, and I gave you the answers you deserved.

Most people accusing Argentine of your stereotyping, are in fact exactly what they accuse Argentines of being of, and that's the reason for which people like you are so rude to Argentines.

Last edited by MotorPsico; 06-01-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0mmuter View Post
This is the real map of developing and developed countries, measured by Human Developed Index.

Source: United Nations:

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP

Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
What Argentines resent most is that "Indian" countries such as Chile, Colombia and Peru are outperforming them at every level. Chile is about to become a First World Nation, while Argentineans are stuck with dandruffy and outdated Peronists such as Cristinita, a true demagogue supported by cabecitas negras and rabble.
You are the resented one here. You have the inferiority complex. You are the xingoist.

And you are making lies. Cite your sources on your xingoist, and baseless claim of "Chile, Colombia and Peru are outperforming them at every level".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas