Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 AM

355 posts, read 1,189,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The Congo reference and links are referring to Brazil and the "Welcome to the Congo" issue.

I mentioned Argentines in the last sentence not because they "wannabe" white (they are mostly white), but because many have an inferiority complex and an issue with being lumped with the rest of Latin American and South America ("wannabe" Euro).

I like your post. I think what you say about older Argentines is true--but, I do think more than just older Argentines think that way.

And--I really like what you said about identifying "with [a] vibrant tropical culture." Rock on!

The Americans have a similar complex. They are always calling themselves white and "European". They say "I'm Irish, Hungarian and part Klingon" and most don't even know where they came from or what is their real ethnic background.

What Argentines resent most is that "Indian" countries such as Chile, Colombia and Peru are outperforming them at every level. Chile is about to become a First World Nation, while Argentineans are stuck with dandruffy and outdated Peronists such as Cristinita, a true demagogue supported by cabecitas negras and rabble.

Last edited by Cocoricoco; 05-31-2012 at 01:31 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,201 times
Quote:
The Congo reference and links are referring to Brazil and the "Welcome to the Congo" issue.

I mentioned Argentines in the last sentence not because they "wannabe" white (they are mostly white), but because many have an inferiority complex and an issue with being lumped with the rest of Latin American and South America ("wannabe" Euro).

I like your post. I think what you say about older Argentines is true--but, I do think more than just older Argentines think that way.

And--I really like what you said about identifying "with [a] vibrant tropical culture." Rock on!
I guess I was misinformed about the Welcome to The Congo issue. You seem to make sense. I really don't know many young people from Argentina, just one friend who is pretty humble and a nice guy. But almost every person from Argentina 50+ I know is dripping in snobbery, it's just ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
The Americans have a similar complex. They are always calling themselves white and "European". They say "I'm Irish, Hungarian and part Klingon" and most don't even know where they came from or what is their real ethnic background.

What Argentines resent most is that "Indian" countries such as Chile, Colombia and Peru are outperforming them at every level. Chile is about to become a First World Nation, while Argentineans are stuck with dandruffy and outdated Peronists such as Cristinita, a true demagogue supported by cabecitas negras and rabble.

Great post. I agree with a lot of your points Americans that are 5, 6 or more generations removed from their immigrant ancestors still identify with being Irish or Italian even more than being American.

I'm glad to see the other countries out performing Argentina. Chileans and Colombians are generally a lot warmer and down to earth than your average Argentine.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,201 times
I bartend on weekends and an Argentine couple in their 50's or 60's sits at the bar.

The woman is clearly buzzed and she just goes on and on talking about herself. All of these statements were unprovoked as I was not conversating with her, she was sitting by the ice well so every time I went over to make a drink she just started yammering about herself and talking about how wonderful Argentina is.

"We are from Argentina but I'm Italian and he (husband) is a royal Spaniard but my daughter is a New Yorker"

"He comes from one of the first Spaniards in Argentina"

"Do I seem more Italian or Argentinan to you?"

my response "Argentinan"

"Why do you say that?"

my response "because you are blonde" ...many Argentinan woman dye their hair blonde like Europeans. And you are also a narcissistic twit, let me do my job.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,524,538 times
wow, this Argentina bashing is....funny?

I wonder how did we make a reputation for being so nasty, that everytime a thread about south america is open, someone comes and say how argentinians think they are better than everybody

Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 PM

16,691 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post

I agree with most of your post--especially the bolded parts. In the U.S., I wouldn't call it a complex--it is more due to the ethnic/racial stratification that existed in the colonies/country from the get-go.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
wow, this Argentina bashing is....funny?

I wonder how did we make a reputation for being so nasty, that everytime a thread about south america is open, someone comes and say how argentinians think they are better than everybody
I work at a famous restaurant in Washington, D.C. We get Americans, tourists, everybody. Without a doubt, the Argentines and the French were the absolute WORST! The Argentines especially were so openly racist and conceited that it blew my mind. And the only thing each and every one of them that walked in talked about was how much whiter Buenos Aires was from D.C. Now, I know that Americans are generally more PC than latin americans, but they weren't honest. They were racist. Anyway, that's how -in my restaurant- they have gained QUITE the reputation.

Glad to hear that more mixed, and PROUD countries in South America are showing those snotty, racist, "Argentines" (they'd much rather be called Italians, Germans, anything that automatically connotes untouched, 'pure' white) how to ACTUALLY run a country. I DO love the Rioplatanese dialect though. Absolutely gorgeous.

As for the map, meh. It reminds me of those maps that shows stereotypes about each country. Nothing to get too worked up about.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I agree with most of your post--especially the bolded parts. In the U.S., I wouldn't call it a complex--it is more due to the ethnic/racial stratification that existed in the colonies/country from the get-go.
I agree with you there, but I think every American is moving increasingly to a simple "American" ethnic group. I've seen that especially so with Black and White Americans. It's about time too

Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0mmuter View Post
Brazilian?

Explanation: you got most of africans.

About 95% to 99% of Brazilians descend from the country's indigenous peoples and Portuguese settlers, while near 85% to 95% also have African slave ancestors.
Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is incredibly offensive and racist. It's really like saying African descendents are inferior people (like some people here - in the forum overall, not the thread only - are also implying). Completely egrigious.

Where's the moderator?? Please come along. It's incredible how many fights this forum has...

And I quite like Brazil, those old images showing the place like it is a warzone is not the reality anymore at all. All main 'favelas' are either occupied by the police or will be there in Rio. Several neighborhoods of the city are probably better, if not much better than some places in the Developed World; unemployment rate is a fraction of the one in most of those countries, people don't live just to work, culture is great (parts of it), crime is not that bad, the economy is pretty well overall, etc. etc. It still has quite some problems but it's going along quite well.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,524,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I work at a famous restaurant in Washington, D.C. We get Americans, tourists, everybody. Without a doubt, the Argentines and the French were the absolute WORST! The Argentines especially were so openly racist and conceited that it blew my mind. And the only thing each and every one of them that walked in talked about was how much whiter Buenos Aires was from D.C. Now, I know that Americans are generally more PC than latin americans, but they weren't honest. They were racist. Anyway, that's how -in my restaurant- they have gained QUITE the reputation.

Glad to hear that more mixed, and PROUD countries in South America are showing those snotty, racist, "Argentines" (they'd much rather be called Italians, Germans, anything that automatically connotes untouched, 'pure' white) how to ACTUALLY run a country. I DO love the Rioplatanese dialect though. Absolutely gorgeous.

As for the map, meh. It reminds me of those maps that shows stereotypes about each country. Nothing to get too worked up about.
I wanna say not all Argentinians are like that. They actually arent (though the new cd member -Moto something- seems to fit this douche-stereotype that people seem to have about argentinians and it sucks), there is rude, racist people and a lot of nice people too. Word.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
This is incredibly offensive and racist. It's really like saying African descendents are inferior people (like some people here - in the forum overall, not the thread only - are also implying). Completely egrigious.

Where's the moderator?? Please come along. It's incredible how many fights this forum has...

And I quite like Brazil, those old images showing the place like it is a warzone is not the reality anymore at all. All main 'favelas' are either occupied by the police or will be there in Rio. Several neighborhoods of the city are probably better, if not much better than some places in the Developed World; unemployment rate is a fraction of the one in most of those countries, people don't live just to work, culture is great (parts of it), crime is not that bad, the economy is pretty well overall, etc. etc. It still has quite some problems but it's going along quite well.
Although I did not fully understand what C0mmuter was trying to prove with his photos (other than how blacks can be found all over the New World), I did feel as if there was some veiled ignorance beneath it. Black Brazilians have contributed an immense amount of, well, everything to Brazil, just like every other group. As for many Brazilians having African ancestors in their family, it makes perfect sense. The Portuguese arrived and settled in the region of what is now with very little Portuguese women, only (half)-naked natives and enslaved african women who were at your beck and call. It doesn't take a genius to know everyone has needs...

As for the infrastructure in Brazil, as you already know, it leaves much to be desired, but is still steadily improving, as well as lifting many people out of poverty. What I find scary is what happens to Brazil post-2016, when all this building and pomp and circumstance goes away, and Brazil is left with that huge bill that the Olympics always leaves? I love Brazil (going there in a few weeks to study abroad), and I hope it continues to help Brazilians, not just the elite, after all the celebration and big arrival onto the global stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas