Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:03 PM

44 posts, read 221,406 times

Advertisements

I think the south of Chile has likely the most northern European (Germany, Austria, etc) feel in the continent.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
Interesting thing about Argentina is that at one time they did have a relatively large black population. Up until the late 1800's I think. No one is sure what happened. Afro Argentine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Uruguay still has black people although they are a small minority.
They must have gotten absorbed into the white population. Only DNA tests would answer this for sure though.

I've seen some sources say that the Argentine Tango has African influences, but I'm not sure the validity of that. It very well could.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
I don't think anybody is trying to discount the influence of Black people throughout Brazil. However, it is only to say there are other influences that are strong in other regions. If you go to Amazonas the Indian influence is really strong. If you go to the South the non-portuguese European influence stands out compared to other regions. In Sao Paulo there is a strong black influence but also a very strong Italian influence. I don't know if Venezuela and Colombia has these large regional differences. Do they? Also, I don't know if Parana and Santa Catarina are majority German and Italian, but I will say having driven through both those states they both are pretty damn white. Santa Catarina is about as white as where I come from which is probably one of the whitest places in the US.

I have a Brazilian friend who is from Santa Catarina, and not only does he look White but he also looks Nordic. He looks very similar to the blond American actor Neil Patrick Harris. I am thinking he must have some German ancestry in his family tree, because it is very rare to find a man of 100% Portuguese ancestry who is blond.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I have a Brazilian friend who is from Santa Catarina, and not only does he look White but he also looks Nordic. He looks very similar to the blond American actor Neil Patrick Harris. I am thinking he must have some German ancestry in his family tree, because it is very rare to find a man of 100% Portuguese ancestry who is blond.
There are actually alot of German Brazilians in Southern Brazil as well so I am sure that has something to do with it. Southern Brazil is kind of like the US and Argentina in that it was built by immigrants. Even Sao Paulo itself has one of the largest Italian communities outside of Italy and one of the largest Japanese communities outside of Japan.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 PM

230 posts, read 904,817 times
In the South of Brazil you have a lot of people of German descent, but you also have people of Polish and Ukrainian descent who also have a high propensity to be Blond. Not to mention that, I have been told, many Italians immigrated from the north of Italy to the south of Brazil. I have met some people of Italian descent from the south who are much whiter than most people of 100% Italian descent I have met in the US.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 PM

678 posts, read 1,204,981 times
Brazil has a lot of descents. For instance, we have the biggest japanese population out of Japan. But they're all gathered up in São Paulo. The european ones they live mostly in southern states. I'm not really good at history, but I think they've come here running away from world war II.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
Brazil has a lot of descents. For instance, we have the biggest japanese population out of Japan. But they're all gathered up in São Paulo. The european ones they live mostly in southern states. I'm not really good at history, but I think they've come here running away from world war II.
Brazil has the largest Italian population outside of Italy, the most Japanese outside of Japan, the most Lebanese outside of Lebanon, and without a doubt the most Portuguese outside of Portugal, and probably others too.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 AM

230 posts, read 904,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post

They started to immigrate in the mid 1800's and much of the mass immigration happened before world war II.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:55 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
Incredible German town in Santa Catarina region :
Pomerode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times
No doubt some towns in Parana and Santa Catarina states have strong German influence, but one can not deny the Portuguese and native indigenous influences in Parana and Santa Catarina.

I still think that, overall, Parana and Santa Catarina have a greater Portuguese and native indigenous influence than a German influence.

I have nothing against the Germans, I think they did a great contribution to the Brazilian culture, including teaching Brazilians how to make very good beers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas