Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:39 PM

230 posts, read 904,817 times

Advertisements

For me, its not so much the architecture because much of the architecture is relatively modern and although has European traits most building in the South don't look like those in Blumeneu and Joinville. But the attention to quality and detail in everything they do, in general, is much higher than in the rest of Brazil. (Probably the German influence). I went to the rural fair when it came to Rio in 2009 and it had products from all over Brazil, mostly from family farms. The family farmers from the south by far had the best quality products. Also many of them still spoke Portuguese with a strong Germanic accent. No joke. I was there with my girlfriend and she said if she had talked to some of the farmers on the street she would have thought they were Germans from Germany who had learned Portuguese as adults but learned the grammar really well. Last time I went to Blumenau, I asked for directions in Portuguese to the manager of a restaurant and he responded to me in German. The waiter started to laugh because I had already told him I was American and he could see I didn't understand anything the guy was saying.

In addition, the south isn't the only place that has a strong non-Portuguese European influence. The mountains of Espirito Santo do also, and the mountains of Rio.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 12,128 times
I lived in venezuela for 3 years when I was a child, and I visited colombia and the north of brasil. The differences between these countries, it's not very important, the weather, the food, the people are similar.
I am from spain, and I can tell you the great difference is between the south-americans countries and spain,
although they have the same language like us, we are more similar to italia or greece.

sorry for my english and greetings from spain!!!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:13 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish_Mark View Post
I lived in venezuela for 3 years when I was a child, and I visited colombia and the north of brasil. The differences between these countries, it's not very important, the weather, the food, the people are similar.
I am from spain, and I can tell you the great difference is between the south-americans countries and spain,
although they have the same language like us, we are more similar to italia or greece.

I agree.. also the Spanish influences in their culture are based off Spanish culture closer to the time of conquest (1500-1600 ish) so there have been divergences I'm sure.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times
So the big difference between Venezuela and Colombia seems to be that in Colombia Hugo is a misbehaving dog on a soap opera while in Venezuela Hugo is president?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:53 AM

4 posts, read 12,128 times
Hugo? argggg, I think he is the worst nightmare for venezuela, is the worst president they ever had, absolutely

don't you think?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish_Mark View Post

This may be true that the North of Brazil is like Venezuela and Colombia but Brazil is a country with huge regional differences. If you go to other parts of Brazil you will see it is nothing like Colombia. and Venezuela. Plus I would be willing to bet if you went to Argentina, Uruguay and Chile you would find them to have much more in common with Spain. Not that they are the same culture but the Spanish cultural roots are much stronger.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:37 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
This may be true that the North of Brazil is like Venezuela and Colombia but Brazil is a country with huge regional differences. If you go to other parts of Brazil you will see it is nothing like Colombia. and Venezuela. Plus I would be willing to bet if you went to Argentina, Uruguay and Chile you would find them to have much more in common with Spain. Not that they are the same culture but the Spanish cultural roots are much stronger.
The level of presence of black people in Sao Paulo can not be compared with Argentina, Uruguay, or even Peru. It is only comparable to Venezuela and Colombia. The same thing about Rio Grande do Sul (the land of the legend of "Negrinho do Pastoreio").

Brazil as a whole has a strong African influence. This is a fact. Even if some people "don't like" it (I try to guess why...)

Do you see "terreiros de macumba" in Lima or Buenos Aires? Brazil is much more like Venezuela and Colombia.

Even the states of Parana and Santa Catarina are not some kind of "Little Germany" or "Little Italy". People tend to overestimate the towns with German architecture and don't get the fact that the majority of the towns in the two states don't have a strong German influence, only a minority of the towns have.

I'm not saying the influence of the German and Italian colonists wasn't important to the formation of the Brazilian culture. It was important. But I don't buy the myth of Parana and Santa Catarina being "majoritarily" German and Italian.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
The level of presence of black people in Sao Paulo can not be compared with Argentina, Uruguay, or even Peru. It is only comparable to Venezuela and Colombia. The same thing about Rio Grande do Sul (the land of the legend of "Negrinho do Pastoreio").

Brazil as a whole has a strong African influence. This is a fact. Even if some people "don't like" it (I try to guess why...)

Do you see "terreiros de macumba" in Lima or Buenos Aires? Brazil is much more like Venezuela and Colombia.

Even the states of Parana and Santa Catarina are not some kind of "Little Germany" or "Little Italy". People tend to overestimate the towns with German architecture and don't get the fact that the majority of the towns in the two states don't have a strong German influence, only a minority of the towns have.

I'm not saying the influence of the German and Italian colonists wasn't important to the formation of the Brazilian culture. It was important. But I don't buy the myth of Parana and Santa Catarina being "majoritarily" German and Italian.

I don't think anybody is trying to discount the influence of Black people throughout Brazil. However, it is only to say there are other influences that are strong in other regions. If you go to Amazonas the Indian influence is really strong. If you go to the South the non-portuguese European influence stands out compared to other regions. In Sao Paulo there is a strong black influence but also a very strong Italian influence. I don't know if Venezuela and Colombia has these large regional differences. Do they? Also, I don't know if Parana and Santa Catarina are majority German and Italian, but I will say having driven through both those states they both are pretty damn white. Santa Catarina is about as white as where I come from which is probably one of the whitest places in the US.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:53 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
Plus I would be willing to bet if you went to Argentina, Uruguay and Chile you would find them to have much more in common with Spain. Not that they are the same culture but the Spanish cultural roots are much stronger.

This is because the Spanish settlers didn't encounter as many Native American populations in those regions and those who did were assimilated into the population that eventually became predominantly European (mostly Spanish and Italian), so therefore cultural assimilation would have taken place too as opposed to somewhere like Mexico or Guatemala where Indigenous traditions are obvious in so many aspects of life. Also, Argentina and Uruguay had only a small African influence if any.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
This is because the Spanish settlers didn't encounter as many Native American populations in those regions and those who did were assimilated into the population that eventually became predominantly European (mostly Spanish and Italian), so therefore cultural assimilation would have taken place too as opposed to somewhere like Mexico or Guatemala where Indigenous traditions are obvious in so many aspects of life. Also, Argentina and Uruguay had only a small African influence if any.

Interesting thing about Argentina is that at one time they did have a relatively large black population. Up until the late 1800's I think. No one is sure what happened. Afro Argentine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Uruguay still has black people although they are a small minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas