Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 PM

665 posts, read 1,733,129 times

Advertisements

I've been loving Murphy Goode Cabernet lately. Under 20 bucks and nice and dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,838,162 times
Once in a while, I like a nice, buttery chardonnay, and my BF's dad usually has decent pinot gris on hand (he and his GF drink nothing but); really, though, I overwhelmingly prefer reds.

I'm not opposed to a sweeter dessert wine now and then (no snob, here), but I do enjoy more spicy, complex reds.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 15,009,003 times
I am no wine expert and I am still learning and trying to educate myself about them.

This I know: I do not like wines that are too 'tannic' ... the astringent taste causes my lips to pucker and I do not enjoy that. I also do not like wines that taste too much like earth, soil, dirt, or whatever. If I want to sip something with a 'peat' or 'smoke' flavor I'll stick to Single Malt Scotches.

I am not opposed to sweet wines. Certain dessert wines can be sweet yet complex and do not taste like Koolaid. They can be fruity and luscious; but don't have the sugary taste of Boone's Farms or the syrupy cloying taste of some of the Concord Grape wines like Mogen David.

The very crisp white wines are usually not my favorites - I avoid Chablis and Chardonnay - but they do go well with Spicy Oriental seafood dishes like some Thai dishes. Champagne - 'brut' - can be lovely like white toast! A great wine, chilled, for picnics!

Steak and beef is definitely enhanced by a fine red wine such as a Burgundy ... I really like St. Emilion, Chateau Neuf-du-Pape, a Pinot Noir, etc.

I've had a couple of great Italian Chiantis ... I know the 'wine-snobs' would not approve!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 PM

126 posts, read 276,612 times
I second the Chateu Neuf-du-Pape for sure. Those are great.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:21 PM

276 posts, read 1,021,468 times
A very good Riesling wine, and one that actually cost under $6.00 (at COSTCO), is Chateau Ste Michelle.

Wenever I serve it many ask me what kind of wine, and who makes it.

Everyone likes it very much

Try it, and you will see for yourself. You never know it cost un $6.00 LOL!

Old 05-07-2011, 05:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,643,321 times
A decent everyday red I've recently discovered is Costco's $7 2009 Kirkland Cote du Rhone-Villages, blended for them in the south of France. It's tangy & sappy in a fruit-forward style but not cloying or artificially woody like cheap Yellowtail bottles or even more expensive Aussie Rhone blends.

For those who've got a sweet tooth and prefer soda or Martinelli over wine, I whole-heartedly recommend any vintage of Tintero's Moscato d'Asti. It's light, effervescent & affordable ($9~12). Perfect party wine.

and one last wine which is my go-to for parties/bbq's is an italian red called Lacrima d'Alba. It's very floral & fruity but doesn't have that hot alcoholic cocktail kick that you find from Cali pinots. Great balance & totally slurpable for $10~$14. I've had bottles from both Velenosi & Luchetti and wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Lacrima from any other winery that makes its way to our shelves.

btw if you're searching for cheap drinkable wines for parties/events, take a peek at the goodcheapvino wine blog. They taste through wines on sale to see which ones are palatable and worthy of your $.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:33 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,038,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
I started out with white zinfandel, it was "my first wine"...funny story...I was 19 and went out trying to buy some white zinfandel for the first time. I asked the clerk for a bottle of pink zinfandel. He said "white"? I said "no, pink". That should have been his first clue that I was underage...LOL.

When I was 20something (well into legal age) my friends took me to dinner at a nice restaurant. We didn't like the first wine brought out, so I asked for something else. The manager came out and asked if I liked Zinfandel. All I could think of was the pink stuff so I told him that. The next thing you know, he's wheeling out a table with 5 bottles of wine and 15 wine glasses so he could educate us on nice red wines. It was a great birthday! The girl at the next table asked if we planned that in advance and we said no. It's the first time someone on a date was jealous of me out with the girls!!!

I love red wine. Strong, deep, but not too much tannin. My current favorite is Promiscuous. $9 in CA, $16 everywhere else I've seen it. Sterling Merlot is always a winner and Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin is usually great.

Summertime often calls for a nice, light Pinot Grigio. Santa Margharita of course!

Old 05-07-2011, 05:39 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,607,376 times
Riesling! Ones that are on the sweeter side.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:42 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,038,325 times
Oh and I forgot, though I don't like most sweet wines, every now and then a good Ice Wine (not under $20) is good in front of the fireplace on a cold night. And Chocolate Port ($15ish from World Market) is a nice dessert in a bottle.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:01 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,731,772 times
Anything from Molly Dooker has always been good, especially their several types of Shiraz. We've had just about every one they put out. Their lowest priced one is The Boxer (~$25/btl). They have a few others in the $30-$45 range that are very much worth the cost.

And the one bottle of their Velvet Glove that we did have (wife's birthday, so splurged on the $175 bottle)...I would have crawled inside the bottle to lick it clean if I could have done so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages