Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As far as reds you'll find some nice, fruity Beaujolis in your price range.
Right price... i found the Beaujolis fruity but watery..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,202,923 times
My favorites:
Atteca (Malbec) around $15-20.. absolutely wonderful
Berringer Merlot (On sale this weekend - $9)... good house wine, take to dinner parties (where I know people drink - a lot)
Kendal Jackson Merlot $15 or so.. another good "house" wine.
Ruffino Chianti $19+... YUM YUM

And on the CHEAP.. but good... Frontera Merlot $5.. (this is my - sit in front of the computer and play a game wine)

I have a few others I go through and always talk with my Sommalier (sp) who knows my tastes and recommends bottles here and there. I do NOT like dry wines, but enjoy the Merlots. Cabs are to bitter for my tastes and I stay away from whites. (only for health purposes).

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM

648 posts, read 3,096,537 times
hi all! so, i'm drinking the barefoot white zinfandel as i write this.....i'm on my second glass actually it's very tasty! i chose this one for starters since it came highly recommended here thank you thank you!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:12 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,522,034 times
Well, clink-clink....I am having a glass of Barefoot Merlot at this very moment myself! Cheers!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 PM

648 posts, read 3,096,537 times
Cheers...yeehaa!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 PM

94 posts, read 325,225 times
Fetzer Reisling, Yellowtail Pinot Grigio, and Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc. I also dislike dry wines and these are my 3 favorites.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,923,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
nobody liked my riunite with the convenient screwoff cap suggestion. i like it fresh as it tastes more like kool-aid rather than the ones that have been sitting in the stores aging with increased alcohol fermentation.
What's with all this OLD wine? Bring me some fresh stuff!!

The Trader Joe's 2 Buck Chuck was quite a bit better 5 years ago. Now it tastes just a $3 wine - time to move on, at least as far as the cab and merlot. The Chardonnay was always bad.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,651,738 times
I can't believe not a single person here has mentioned Guevurtztraminer! I may have not spelled it right, and it is even harder to say - - but it is my all time favorite! Of the brands that I have tried, I think Fetzer is the best (some brands are really bad in comparison). It runs anywhere from $7 to $10 a bottle, depending on the store. I have introduced it to many friends that had never heard of it, and now they always have a bottle on hand!

Good luck in your quest!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,167,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
hi all! so, i'm drinking the barefoot white zinfandel as i write this.....i'm on my second glass actually it's very tasty! i chose this one for starters since it came highly recommended here thank you thank you!
I'm glad you enjoyed the wine last night

There's a place down the street from me that sells small bottles for $3.99, and the large ones for $6.99.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:25 AM

738 posts, read 2,961,386 times
I've been looking for budget wines to buy for my wedding the past few weeks so have been sampling ones in that range- came across a super inexpensive, yet good option this past weekend:

Rene Barbier Mediterranean Red @ a whopping $4.99/bottle. It's spanish blend from Tempranillo and Merlot, and it was actually pretty good! I'd have no problem putting it up against most other <$15 wines I've tried in recent months.

The flavor is fairly balanced due to it being a blend, not too astringent/dry, has a little more of a berry bouquet and flavor with mild oaky and smoke hints.

My Fiancee didn't mind it, and she generally dislikes reds. I like a bit more pepper my wines, but it seems to be a good choice for us as it will suit a wide variety of tastebuds. It will most likely become my new "everyday" type bottle for dinner during the work week. It is not overpowering with any specific flavor, a good safe choice with it's round smooth texture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages