Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 12:06 PM

3,554 posts, read 2,898,798 times

Advertisements

I never drank ale growing up, only Mass-produced lightly-hopped American lagers, which some people think is more than bitter enough. But who has developed a taste for highly-hopped India pale ale, with its extra bitterness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 02:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,858 posts, read 81,862,596 times
Like most people in their 20s I also grew up with cheap American beer such as Bud, Miller and Coors. It was only after I quit drinking for a buzz and started drinking for the taste that I started trying new varieties, and the first was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which was 38 bitterness rating (IBU). Since then I have discovered several others while eating dinner out that are now favorites, such as Manny's (38) Fat Tire (22) or Mac & Jack's (30). I'll try others, too, but like to stick to IBU 40 or less. For just hot afternoon thirst quenching, I keep a 12 pack of Blue Moon wheat ale in the drink fridge, it's only 9 IBU but has some actual flavor compared to it's cousins from Miller-Coors.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:36 PM

12,709 posts, read 9,890,143 times
I like lighter beers like IPAs and lagers, and also like darker beers like stouts and porters. I don't drink too often, so budget-wise I feel okay with buying a decent quality beer brewed in the region. instead of a lowest common denominator national beer, however I am not buying the real high end beers either. Some brands I get are: Long Trail, Atlantic Brewing Co, Sea Dog Brewing Co, Mayflower Brewing Co, Sam Adams, Newburyport Brewing Co, Ipswich Ale Brewery, Harpoon Brewery...

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-17-2024 at 07:50 PM..

Old 05-17-2024, 08:05 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,798,798 times
Bitterness to the point of some taking on grapefruit juice notes, not for me.
I love Belgium farm house and Saison style beers. To me they have more complexity.

Old 05-17-2024, 08:48 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,175,374 times
I've been a beer lover for most of my life and for a while made a hobby out of sampling all kinds of beer, either buying from a store, doing beer swaps with friends around the country, or homebrewing. There's no denying that IPA is my favorite type of beer and that's pretty much all I drink now.

Current favorite is Georgetown Brewing Bodhizafa, 6.9% ABV and 80 IBU. Second runner up is Mother Earth Brewing Boo Koo IPA, 6.5% ABV and 58 IBU.

Not a fan of DIPA (double or imperial IPA), usually 8 or 9% ABV. Way too boozy and sweet tasting. I like beer crisp and a bit bitter, but with flavor, which the American lagers don't have at all.

Old 05-18-2024, 08:09 AM

3,554 posts, read 2,898,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I've been a beer lover for most of my life and for a while made a hobby out of sampling all kinds of beer, either buying from a store, doing beer swaps with friends around the country, or homebrewing. There's no denying that IPA is my favorite type of beer and that's pretty much all I drink now.

Current favorite is Georgetown Brewing Bodhizafa, 6.9% ABV and 80 IBU. Second runner up is Mother Earth Brewing Boo Koo IPA, 6.5% ABV and 58 IBU.

Not a fan of DIPA (double or imperial IPA), usually 8 or 9% ABV. Way too boozy and sweet tasting. I like beer crisp and a bit bitter, but with flavor, which the American lagers don't have at all.
There’s a company called Anita Brewery in Louisiana that makes a brand of imperial IPA called “Alphagator”, but on the can it is referred to as a “malt beverage with natural flavors”. So is it not a beer?

Old 05-18-2024, 10:16 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,175,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
There’s a company called Anita Brewery in Louisiana that makes a brand of imperial IPA called “Alphagator”, but on the can it is referred to as a “malt beverage with natural flavors”. So is it not a beer?
Not sure about that. I thought ales are classified as beer, and malt beverage/liquor are a different category - the flavored drinks like Mike's Lemonade and wine coolers, that don't taste like beer and have higher alcohol content.

Old 05-18-2024, 10:57 PM

11,416 posts, read 11,149,009 times
Living in the PNW we are blessed with an incredible selection of IPA varieties. My favorites are usually between 6.5-7.2% abv and 50-70 ibu. Depending on the brewery, I do like a few DIPA's and Imperials as well that sit between 8-9%abv and 70-90ibu.

Of course, one needs to pace themselves a bit with these. They aren't made to be slammed like Coors or Bud at a backyard BBQ on a hot day. We have what are called growler stations where people go to enjoy many types of micro brews, as well as fill up their growlers to take home and enjoy too.

Old 05-19-2024, 08:35 AM

12,709 posts, read 9,890,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

Long Trail makes a double amber ale that I like - two bags of malt in the brew... it *is* potent though @ 7.2% ABV

https://longtrail.com/beers/double-bag/

Old 05-19-2024, 08:51 AM

23,744 posts, read 24,311,064 times
I really enjoy hoppy, bitter ales. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was the first I’ve ever tried (in the mid 80’s, at a bar in Lake Tahoe, California.) I really enjoy a hoppy, bitter ale with a beef steak and salad (yum!)

I enjoy Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA on occasion, it is my go to IPA. Sierra Nevada Stout and Porter were also excellent, but more malty from what I recall. Haven’t had a stout or porter for years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages