Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,103,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I like an IPA, but the problem is that so many craft brewers are trying to produce them, that what was once special and not easy to find, now seems to be as common as dirt. I've had a few that were exquisite, but I've also had many more that needed pouring down the drain.

Brewers should concentrate on whet they do best. One local craft brewer produced a tasty pilsener that I always looked forward to on a hot summer's day. Nothing wrong with it, and everything right with it. But the brewery concentrated on marketing its IPA, which was one of the "pour down the drain" IPAs I alluded to above. It did not market its pilsener much. If it had, maybe it wouldn't have gone out of business.
There's so much truth in what you posted. Way way too many forgettable and "ME TOO!!!" IPAs out there for a long while now, though in my area (SoCal) I've seen a resurgence of pilsners.

Kinda reminds me of the "Sideways" effect on merlot and pinot noir sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

19,958 posts, read 22,900,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I like an IPA, but the problem is that so many craft brewers are trying to produce them, that what was once special and not easy to find, now seems to be as common as dirt. I've had a few that were exquisite, but I've also had many more that needed pouring down the drain.

Brewers should concentrate on whet they do best. One local craft brewer produced a tasty pilsener that I always looked forward to on a hot summer's day. Nothing wrong with it, and everything right with it. But the brewery concentrated on marketing its IPA, which was one of the "pour down the drain" IPAs I alluded to above. It did not market its pilsener much. If it had, maybe it wouldn't have gone out of business.

I tend to adjust my preferences according to the seasons. Summer is the time for light-colored lagers and pilseners; winter is the time for porters, stouts, and IPAs. Nothing like an ice-cold lager after a summer afternoon of yard work; and there's nothing like a fine porter by the fireplace while a winter storm howls outside.
Yup I'm the same way. The only difference is I try to stay away from hoppy IPA's. I also enjoy good sours on summer days as well as radler beer or Hefeweizen with lemon.

Old Today, 10:38 AM

14,767 posts, read 14,752,723 times
I like them, but it has to be special for me now given the glut of IPAs created by American brewers. The hazy IPA craze in particular is a turn-off. I prefer pilsners and stout/porters more so these days.

Old Today, 10:47 AM

4,357 posts, read 2,270,399 times
The variations in taste of IPAs is endless with SO many varieties of hops, as well as the yeast being used (which has a bigger impact on taste than most people know) the taste experience is never tiring to me.

I like me a good porter or the occasional stout or ale, but IPAs are my fav.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages