Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:22 AM

24,443 posts, read 13,360,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
So many good posts here! I am a wine associate (wine consultant and shelf stocker) who has been drinking wine for 40-plus years. I am not a sommelier, but three of my co-workers are, and the favorite everyday wine of one of them (who worked for the Ritz, btw) is a Chilean Pinot Noir for $6.99 a bottle! Now, this is a man who regularly tasted and sold wine costing $3,000 a bottle or more! (Btw, that particular Chilean wine is not rated very highly on most wine review websites, and I personally don't like it at all, but then my palate and that of "average Joe" reviewer are not as sophisticated as my co-worker's is, either!)
If it's Pepperwood Grove, he's on to something. For the price it's a great choice, not going to win double gold or get 95 points from Wine Spectator, but for me it's every bit as good as some of the overpriced pinots I had in the Central Coast area last fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 08:20 PM

934 posts, read 851,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Its pretty obvious you have never had a good time.
What do you mean by that?

Old 04-06-2017, 10:17 AM

586 posts, read 563,386 times
Wine can be amazing or insipid. The key is what you pair it with—if you want to start experimenting with learning how to interpret wine flavors, start with a chardonnay and some rich, buttery cheese and crackers. Hell, you can use Cheddar, Swiss, or Gouda and Ritz. Or sip a full-bodied red and some dark chocolate.

This is kind of the equivalent of smelling coffee beans after you sniff too many colognes and they all smell the same.

Wines—good ones, anyway—really do have structure and great complexity. For me, the biggest pleasure in drinking a wine comes when you pair it perfectly with a food. What I get is an overwhelming sense of umami and savory, that is akin to drinking a glass of heightened taste. It's hard to explain, but both the wine and the food taste much more like themselves than what they normally do. This is especially true with cheese.

The cost of wine (outside a restaurant) is usually somewhat reflective of the quality up to a point, but not always. My partner and I drink wine regularly and he has exposed me to a very wide variety of inexpensive-expensive wines. Some have been incredible, and some suck. We had a pretty pricey bottle the other night from a winery that we really enjoyed visiting. It tasted EXACTLY like pomegranate-flavored Vitamin Water. It was terrible. We opened another bottle that was one of the best reds I've ever had, and I would literally take a drink and hold it in my mouth and refuse to swallow, because the flavor was that good.

I'm no wine snob—even $10/bottle wine can be surprisingly good. I would experiment with a decent wine store and try a variety of flavors with different foods before trying something expensive in a restaurant.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:51 PM
exm

3,760 posts, read 1,831,675 times
<$5 bottle of wine: usually junk
>$5, <$10 bottle of wine: hit or miss, but some really great value
>$10, <$20 bottle of wine: great value, some overpriced
>$20 bottle of wine: 99% of the time overprice

My say: shop in the $5-$10 range for a nice bottle of wine. Personally, I like Frontera.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:53 PM

12,440 posts, read 15,022,375 times
I can; the $2 wine tastes better.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:01 AM

6,842 posts, read 2,894,103 times
Speaking of wine. I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like "Dude, you have to wait."

Old 05-07-2017, 12:14 PM

133,160 posts, read 12,524,857 times
IMO, it is just snob value. I drink the cheap stuff.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:41 PM

509 posts, read 376,400 times
It's good wine if you like the taste. Also, if a wine tastes less than great, something can be added to make it taste better. Sorry for not answering why some pay a small fortune for highly rated wines. Hope for something more exciting, maybe, and there's plenty of people so wealthy they think $20 or more a bottle is really cheap. We are conditioned all our lives to only buy the best we can afford of any consumer product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Yes I have read books and watched videos and listened to experts; I know all about swirl and smell and sip anbd spit. But somehow I just cannot grasp all those abstract concepts of what is good wine and not so good wine.

Do you have a way to explain it?

Old 05-11-2017, 07:51 PM

Total Wine has Big Sipper Ca (Napa) Red for $9.99 for 5 liter box. In states without Total Wine, Franzia Dark Red Blend is available in 5 liter box for $13.49 or so. Both are 13.5%. But I add somethings to make it into fruity semi-wine. Tastes great & goes down faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Neither can I. I can only tell the difference between fresh wine and wine that has sat opened too long, as well as the difference between real wine and "fruity" semi-wine that usually has less than 10% alcohol content.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:56 PM

I start out with cheap red wine, then add water & cranberry juice. Delicious to me. But if I lived in CO, I might be spending those $$ on "weed".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
To me all wine is just nasty. I don't understand how anyone can drink that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages