Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 09:36 PM

358 posts, read 349,349 times

Advertisements

Simple drink that always goes down well is a glass a cranberry juice low sugar and a shot of good vodka. Make sure you pour it over ice and have a slice of lime with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 12:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Don't worry about what to drink. Just be watchful not to develop too much of a dependency or liking for alcohol I know I'll be flamed for being a wet blanket, but every alcoholic was in your shoes once and my sister will not be celebrating Christmas with us because she died in January of alcohol-related illnesses. Take it slow.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:06 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
What about a glass of wine or a beer?

Old 12-04-2015, 10:24 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,426,325 times
Thank you all for the suggestions Since this post I've tried a few different kinds of wine and I really like it. I've only had sweeter red wines so far.

Random question: why isn't nutrition posted on alcohol? I thought it was required for all packaged foods and beverages. Just curious. I count calories so I like to know. Luckily it's easy to look up any nutrition online but it would nice if it was on the label.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:28 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions Since this post I've tried a few different kinds of wine and I really like it. I've only had sweeter red wines so far.

Random question: why isn't nutrition posted on alcohol? I thought it was required for all packaged foods and beverages. Just curious. I count calories so I like to know. Luckily it's easy to look up any nutrition online but it would nice if it was on the label.

I have found that those who drink are not very interested in the nutritional value or lack of in alcohol.
If you are that concerned about the calories in one glass of wine or one shot or liquor or one beer, you should choose not to drink any alcohol.
Alcohol along with everything else one consumes should be done in moderation so the need to count calories can be eliminated.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:32 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,426,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have found that those who drink are not very interested in the nutritional value or lack of in alcohol.
If you are that concerned about the calories in one glass of wine or one shot or liquor or one beer, you should choose not to drink any alcohol.
Alcohol along with everything else one consumes should be done in moderation so the need to count calories can be eliminated.
Not so much concerned but I just like to know so I don't go overboard. I'm formerly morbidly obese so I'm a little OCD about everything I intake. If I know I'm going to have a drink that night, I'll eat lighter that day to make up for it.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:19 PM

24,305 posts, read 13,149,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Not so much concerned but I just like to know so I don't go overboard. I'm formerly morbidly obese so I'm a little OCD about everything I intake. If I know I'm going to have a drink that night, I'll eat lighter that day to make up for it.

Give some of the drier but light whites (gewurtztraminer, chenin blanc) a try. The trendy sweet stuff right now is moscato, too sweet for my liking. Also try a lighter sangiovese, the latter pairs surprisingly well with red sauced pizza. I discovered a light pinot noir, Pepperwood Grove, from Chile, that is really cheap ($5-6) and has an unusual stopper, no screw cap but no corkscrew needed either. For the money it's very good, and is light enough that it won't be overwhelming to someone not accustomed to drier wines.

To add, and it's been said plenty in this thread, watch the consumption. If it gets away from you it can be devastating. (From someone who grew up with an alcoholic.)

Old 12-04-2015, 12:35 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
What about a glass of wine or a beer?
yah really

don't start out with straight out liquor that is "on the rocks". you have not worked up to that and youll pay the price the next day if you aren't experienced.

me, I could have just vodka, whiskey, or scotch on the rocks all night and will be just fine. if you're a beginner, there is a 90% chance it will end badly if you try this.

start out with wine coolers or a "sweet" wine.

if you like root beer, try "not your dad's root beer". amazing taste, 5% alcohol, gives you a good buzz, and I believe they only come in 6 packs. at least ive only seen them in 6 packs

Old 12-04-2015, 12:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Apparently, Gosling's trademarked "Dark n' Stormy," and any similar drink made with any other rum can't be called that.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:02 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
a mid-priced bourbon (Weller's for example) with an ice cube, plus or minus a little water. No fuss, no mixer and available everywhere you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages