Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:27 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times

Advertisements

I have some time off between jobs and I have always wanted to visit New Orleans. I am wondering if I should spend one weekend in N.O. or an entire week. I don't drink, and most of the people I know go down there to drink. I have heard different opinions. One of my friends says sure, but he didn't do very much each day because he was working remotely while his wife was attending a conference. Another says, no... it will be boring after 2 days. This would be the 1st weekend of April, and maybe the week after. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 07:36 PM

860 posts, read 1,194,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I have some time off between jobs and I have always wanted to visit New Orleans. I am wondering if I should spend one weekend in N.O. or an entire week. I don't drink, and most of the people I know go down there to drink. I have heard different opinions. One of my friends says sure, but he didn't do very much each day because he was working remotely while his wife was attending a conference. Another says, no... it will be boring after 2 days. This would be the 1st weekend of April, and maybe the week after. Any thoughts?
The French quarter festival is around that time. Whether you drink or not, if you love music, that is a great time to be here. Check the dates.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Well, New Orleans isn't JUST a place to drink.

Tons of restaurants, city amenities, and a great walkable French Quarter to explore. It's a major international tourist city for all types.

I would say that the majority of people with any kind of wanderlust or intellectual curiosity or who just like to observe people would absolutely love New Orleans on every level. Music lovers and foodies as well.

I think it would really take a special kind of person to ONLY see New Orleans as JUST a place to drink. If you had a chance for an entire week, I'd take it.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
The French quarter festival is around that time. Whether you drink or not, if you love music, that is a great time to be here. Check the dates.
Thanks, that looks great. I might just book for that weekend if it's not too hard to find a place to stay.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, New Orleans isn't JUST a place to drink.

Tons of restaurants, city amenities, and a great walkable French Quarter to explore. It's a major international tourist city for all types.

I would say that the majority of people with any kind of wanderlust or intellectual curiosity or who just like to observe people would absolutely love New Orleans on every level. Music lovers and foodies as well.

I think it would really take a special kind of person to ONLY see New Orleans as JUST a place to drink.
Well for better or worse, I think a lot of people look at N.O. like the florida keys or vegas and are just drunk the entire time. Same with say, Barcelona. Clearly there is a lot to do in Barcelona but a lot of people go there to go on a bender.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that looks great. I might just book for that weekend if it's not too hard to find a place to stay.
The food booths are great too. Try the goat cheese crepes with a crawfish sauce on top. I forget which restaurant, but it's amazing.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Well for better or worse, I think a lot of people look at N.O. like the florida keys or vegas and are just drunk the entire time. Same with say, Barcelona. Clearly there is a lot to do in Barcelona but a lot of people go there to go on a bender.
I would definitely agree with that.

If you were to get a week for New Orleans, you should jump on that. The music, the vibe, the atmosphere, the restaurants, the culture...it's all fascinating there. Even if you were to get into a dull routine after 3-4 days, you could always rent a car and explore the greater region or Gulf Coast. But, if you like cities, New Orleans is definitely one of the more interesting ones in the U.S. with a very unique culture, vibe, atmosphere, and just plain great music. Best yet is you don't need a car at all in New Orleans to experience the best of it, unlike much of the rest of the U.S.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I would definitely agree with that.

If you were to get a week for New Orleans, you should jump on that. The music, the vibe, the atmosphere, the restaurants, the culture...it's all fascinating there. Even if you were to get into a dull routine after 3-4 days, you could always rent a car and explore the greater region or Gulf Coast. But, if you like cities, New Orleans is definitely one of the more interesting ones in the U.S. with a very unique culture, vibe, atmosphere, and just plain great music. Best yet is you don't need a car at all in New Orleans to experience the best of it, unlike much of the rest of the U.S.
Do I want to bring my (folding) bike?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Here are some bike routes, if you do!

Bike Routes

Old 03-20-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
You really don't need it. If you're staying in the quarter, just walk or take the streetcar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: