Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the USA currently produce the best beer in the world?
Yes 26 40.63%
No 38 59.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,036,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Is there any American beer on the same plane yet with the finest Europe has to offer, such as Belgian Abbey Ales? ... Don't be silly.
Pliny the Elder. Let's see Europe make THAT. I don't think they are capable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 01:03 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,683,643 times
Wow! Tied (at this moment). Well, regardless of who makes the best brew (even though we do) I think we can all agree that the important thing is to enjoy great beer.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:44 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,262,578 times
I'm betting I drink 90% domestic, 10% imported beer. I will occassionally have soemthing like a Chimay or Tripel Karmeliet, but maybe 4x a year. Of all imports, I do frequent Pilsner Urquell the most, mainly because it is so damn delicious and is the father of hundreds of other beers.

Right now I am getting worn out on IPAs, won't drink a DIPA anymore, and find that many American beers are too hop forward. I will swing back again I assume, as that is what I seem to do. With all that said, I still say American beers are the best. The variety is astounding and since I am so promiscuous with what i drink, I appreciate that.

Last, why drink an import if you can get a quality domestic...freshness in beer is important to me, and there are very few imports that are shipped with qualilty in mind (like Pilsner Urquell).

Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM

29,885 posts, read 25,023,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Last, why drink an import if you can get a quality domestic...freshness in beer is important to me, and there are very few imports that are shipped with qualilty in mind (like Pilsner Urquell).
This is one of the reasons I love homebrewing. Nothing comes close to the freshness of a homebrew, even if it's from a kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
One dark beer I can recommend though is Founder's breakfast stout. It's like you spilled some of your morning espresso into a nice stout. Good stuff but you better enjoy coffee if you are to like this stuff. Fortunately I do. Still, I don't have it that often but I can see why many rave about it. Now you really can start your day off right . Another great American brew.

Founders Breakfast Stout - Founders Brewing Company - Grand Rapids, MI - BeerAdvocate
Breakfast stout aye... Does this beer mean I can have an excuse for cracking one open in the morning hours???

Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 PM

14,736 posts, read 14,721,976 times
Europe has the U.S. beat in beer tradition and culture, but when it comes to actual product, the U.S. craft scene is much broader and deeper than what any other country or region is doing right now.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This is one of the reasons I love homebrewing. Nothing comes close to the freshness of a homebrew, even if it's from a kit.

Breakfast stout aye... Does this beer mean I can have an excuse for cracking one open in the morning hours???
A good brunch brew.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:33 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,036,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Ridiculous. There are only a handful of home brewers who can make a beer that rivals the best craft brewers. And none of them are brewing kit beers.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,452,777 times
Very subjective topic, i like beer and while some good ones are made in the USA my favorites come from England and Begium

Old 06-13-2013, 06:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,740 posts, read 81,656,775 times
My favorite beer is Watney's Red Barrel from England, but it's expensive and hard to find. In general most of the beer I drink is from the USA, so I voted yes. I like Fat Tire, Blue Moon, and other small brewery craft beers. We also have the worst beers in the world, such as Coors and Miller.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My favorite beer is Watney's Red Barrel from England, but it's expensive and hard to find. In general most of the beer I drink is from the USA, so I voted yes. I like Fat Tire, Blue Moon, and other small brewery craft beers. We also have the worst beers in the world, such as Coors and Miller.
Good point. We still have the crap for those that want it. We have the best and worst! It's a clean sweep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages