Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the USA currently produce the best beer in the world?
Yes 26 40.63%
No 38 59.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Whisky, Beer and Food. Never at a time in human history............

No matter what you like the quality, quantity and affordablity has NEVER been better.

Stay thirsty my friends..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I think the Germans and Belgians have us still beat in a handful of styles but the U.S. has the best overall title.

You can't beat a good German Bock or Hefeweizen. Belgian Flanders ale and Lambics are better than any american counterpart. But I think we do Stouts, IPA, Brown ale, Porter and Barleywine better than anyone, particularly IPAs.
This definitely sounds fair...I was going to post something similar but you provided a better breakdown than I would've (I only drink about half of the styles listed above...typically anyway). In a little while I'll down some pseudo-Belgian Ommegangs in honor of this thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I do not think so, at least in my dark beer segment. I have nothing against US beer (except generic Coors, Bud, etc), but I have not found any dark beers here. If anyone has some suggestions, let me know. I actually cannot think of any US beer I drink, except a Blue Moon or something when I am at a bar. I tried some beer called Doghead Fish or something like that the other day (not dark of course), did not like it (do not know if it was even American).

I will say though, I do think the US has the largest selection, regardless of where it came from. Much better than 20 years ago when you could hardly find anything other than the generic brands (depending on where you live of course).

Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do not think so, at least in my dark beer segment. I have nothing against US beer (except generic Coors, Bud, etc), but I have not found any dark beers here. If anyone has some suggestions, let me know. I actually cannot think of any US beer I drink, except a Blue Moon or something when I am at a bar. I tried some beer called Doghead Fish or something like that the other day (not dark of course), did not like it (do not know if it was even American).

I will say though, I do think the US has the largest selection, regardless of where it came from. Much better than 20 years ago when you could hardly find anything other than the generic brands (depending on where you live of course).
Haha, pretty sure I called it Doghead Fish at first too. Almost positive I did; I'd have to ask my since departed (from Buffalo, not from life) friend who was a huge Dogfish Head aficionado and forced the 90 Minute IPA on me back before I was the IPA fan that I am now. To this day I still find that to be an overrated (and yes, American, based in Delaware actually) brewery...yes, they are innovative, and I appreciate that much about them, but their actual products do not live up to the hype IMO. 60 minute, 90 minute, the recently released 61 minute (all IPAs, though the latter has some grape flavoring as a testament to their creativity), and the peach beer whose name escapes me at the moment were all underwhelming to me. 120 minute is a different story, because anything that deliciously alcoholic is going to get my endorsement.

Can't help you out with dark beer recommendations since I generally avoid that segment (hence my original comment that I couldn't have opined on half the styles that mike-random consonants mentioned). If you want to talk IPAs, barleywines, hefeweizens, Belgians, other delicious miscellany...I'm game for that discussion. Well in truth I'm game for a discussion of dark ales but merely as a listener to whatever preferences others may have, since I'm hardly a natural fan. I like the occasional imperial porter in the winter (or the occasional Guinness anytime), otherwise I can do without the "genre".

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 06-08-2013 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: "Festina Peche" = "peach beer whose name escapes me at the moment"...for good reason I'd say

Old 06-08-2013, 01:53 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
LOL @ "Doghead Fish"

Old 06-08-2013, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
LOL @ "Doghead Fish"
if I ever went to their brewery on-site bar (assuming they have one), I'd try out all six possible sequences of those three words...test their sense of humor or possibly their mettle if they found me an annoying drunk, lol

Old 06-08-2013, 02:06 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
As others have stated, we are leading the way in innovation. Part of this is due in part to our culture. We champion independent thinking and challenging the boundaries. While others in Europe might follow stringent, time tested guidelines, we look to stand out and create something that challenges the norm. They've been following methods and recipes that have worked for centuries in some cases. If it ain't broken, why fix it? Here in America, we are happy to have something great, but we always push for something even greater. That seems to be in our DNA, and it's showing in the products coming out today.

I'll raise my glass to that, are more often than not, there will be an American craft brew inside.

And let's not discount the popularity of homebrewing. We potentially have upwards of tens of thousands of Americans brewing beer in their own homes. Someone is bound to hit on a new taste that will blow the beer drinking world's palate away.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

That's funny (doghead fish, dogfish head, same thing right?). You sound the opposite to me in your beer tastes. I'm not too big on darker beers. I think ipa's have destroyed my palate for subtler malty flavors. But that doesn't mean I am not up for learning more about them.

One dark beer I can recommend though is Founder's breakfast stout. It's like you spilled some of your morning espresso into a nice stout. Good stuff but you better enjoy coffee if you are to like this stuff. Fortunately I do. Still, I don't have it that often but I can see why many rave about it. Now you really can start your day off right . Another great American brew.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/11757

Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 AM

814 posts, read 2,044,107 times
Beer Rocks!!! Drinking it Rocks even more!!! Not having to drive home all drunk Magnificent!!! Gotta love the local corner tavern!! or the designated drivers !!!

Old 06-08-2013, 12:19 PM

936 posts, read 823,826 times
That's hard to say because I haven't drank all of the beers in the world... but I'm working on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages