Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 AM

47 posts, read 272,384 times

Advertisements

something similar happened here in Dublin back in 2009. Oh, I think it was the outlawing smoking in pubs. There was a dramatic drop in pub patronage. They really screwed that one up and no doubt put some poor merchants out of the business. fecking puritans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,369,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAnon View Post
something similar happened here in Dublin back in 2009. Oh, I think it was the outlawing smoking in pubs. There was a dramatic drop in pub patronage. They really screwed that one up and no doubt put some poor merchants out of the business. fecking puritans.
I think we all have to remember there is a thin line between government control and capitalism. Of course some of these laws are probably needed, but when it starts to seriously affect the economy, it might be time to take a second look. Your example proves, nanny can carry things too far. BTW, to make this clear, I am not a smoker (was at one time) but if I don't want to inhale someone else's smoke I can find a non smoking bar, we don't have to make every bar non smoking. That is another subject I guess, for another time.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,295,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
So says someone who is either very small or a light weight drinker. If you are a big guy who drinks a lot five drinks would likely not even give you a buzz.
Possibly. However, your blood alcohol level will still be over the legal limit.

Here is the problem with drunk driving in this country, and why there should be a ZERO TOLERANCE blood alcohol level (remember, many countries, including all those European countries MANY in this country want to copy, have .00 as their legal BA; meaning NO alcohol at all on board).

People have been saying, or words to the effect, "So I can't go out and have a beer or two with dinner?" Uh no. No you shouldn't be drinking and driving at all. When you give people a .08 "leeway," and remember, many states have laws against driving under the influence no matter what your BA is, people go to the bar and say, "Oh. I can have 3-4 drinks and I am ok." More then one dead person said the same thing and more then one dead person who was sober was smacked into by a person who said such things.

When you lower the blood alcohol level, people will think twice before even having a glass of wine or a beer, then drive. You want to go out and party it up? Great. Do so. Get falling down, stinking drunk. I really could care less. But take a taxi or have a designated driver. Or just stay home and pass out.

As I've stated in other threads, I teach at DUI Schools. Have been for just over 15 yrs and you cannot count how many people have said to me, "I only had a couple of drinks." Moreover, do you realize how many people who have been arrested for DUI STILL DRINK AND DRIVE? The openly admit it to me and say, "Yeah. I'm on probation. So what? I'm not over a .08 when I drive." Which isn't the law in California, by the way, if you are on probation for DUI, you can't have ANY alcohol in their blood.

And ladies and gentlemen, these are everyday citizens like you and me. These aren't stone cold, falling down drunks. Just your normal doctor, lawyer, computer programmer, plumber, and electrician. They all said, "I thought I was fine to drive. I was only a few blocks home." I love the repeat offenders who come back to my classes.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:34 PM

30,120 posts, read 25,250,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
When you lower the blood alcohol level, people will think twice before even having a glass of wine or a beer, then drive.
Quote:
Moreover, do you realize how many people who have been arrested for DUI STILL DRINK AND DRIVE? The openly admit it to me and say, "Yeah. I'm on probation. So what?
I think both these statements are kind of contradictory. Some people are going to drink and drive no matter what the law says. Unfortunately, short of forcing drivers to blow into a breathalyzer before starting the car (and people have ways around those contraptions too) criminals do not obey the law.

So you want to see a zero tolerance measure put in place. All you're doing is increasing the potential pool of criminals while punishing us law abiding casual drinkers. If you're at .04%, what danger do you honestly pose to other drivers? Any more of a danger than all the folks we see driving while talking on the cell phone? Yet, you would rather see us paying thousands in legal fees and possibly going to jail or loosing our license. It certainly would provide more job security for you and all the others in your profession though.

I'll cut you some slack. You deal with folks who have no respect for our current laws as well as the lives of other law abiding drivers. That doesn't mean everyone who has had a drink within the past hour or two of driving is on the same level. You only have exposure to one element, the drunk drivers.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:43 AM

5,763 posts, read 4,066,000 times
If you're going to go draconian (not that .05 is, as I think I read that this is typically the standard worldwide...Phil mentions some nations abiding by .00, which is news to me) on the BAC, then I say you eliminate vehicular manslaughter laws. I've long argued that such laws exist merely to punish the unlucky. No one (or almost no one) sets out to intentionally mow someone down after 10 beers; the likelihood that it happens is surely increased, but that's true whether or not you happen to actually hit someone. Process, not outcomes...and believe me, as someone who drinks a lot and occasionally drives "when he shouldn't", I have some cognitive dissonance in writing this. But logically it's definitely something I stand by (along with increased penalties for every DWI case, to compensate for the eliminated vehicular manslaughter laws...and therein lies the cognitive dissonance, heh)

Old 06-09-2013, 12:21 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,733,472 times
I checked this out on Wikipedia & it seems some just want us to agree with many other countries. Cayman Islands is .10; at .08, 12 countries; .06 Bahamas; at .05, 32 countries; .03, 5 countries; .02, 7 countries; .00, 15 countries.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:53 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,715,979 times
Quote:
Possibly. However, your blood alcohol level will still be over the legal limit.

Here is the problem with drunk driving in this country, and why there should be a ZERO TOLERANCE blood alcohol level (remember, many countries, including all those European countries MANY in this country want to copy, have .00 as their legal BA; meaning NO alcohol at all on board).

People have been saying, or words to the effect, "So I can't go out and have a beer or two with dinner?" Uh no. No you shouldn't be drinking and driving at all. When you give people a .08 "leeway," and remember, many states have laws against driving under the influence no matter what your BA is, people go to the bar and say, "Oh. I can have 3-4 drinks and I am ok." More then one dead person said the same thing and more then one dead person who was sober was smacked into by a person who said such things.

When you lower the blood alcohol level, people will think twice before even having a glass of wine or a beer, then drive. You want to go out and party it up? Great. Do so. Get falling down, stinking drunk. I really could care less. But take a taxi or have a designated driver. Or just stay home and pass out.

As I've stated in other threads, I teach at DUI Schools. Have been for just over 15 yrs and you cannot count how many people have said to me, "I only had a couple of drinks." Moreover, do you realize how many people who have been arrested for DUI STILL DRINK AND DRIVE? The openly admit it to me and say, "Yeah. I'm on probation. So what? I'm not over a .08 when I drive." Which isn't the law in California, by the way, if you are on probation for DUI, you can't have ANY alcohol in their blood.

And ladies and gentlemen, these are everyday citizens like you and me. These aren't stone cold, falling down drunks. Just your normal doctor, lawyer, computer programmer, plumber, and electrician. They all said, "I thought I was fine to drive. I was only a few blocks home." I love the repeat offenders who come back to my classes.
Do you have any scientific evidence proving that a BAC of .005 causes people to be dangerous to others? You dont because such evidence doesn't exist so there is no reason to lower the drinking limit to .00. As you mentioned many of these DUI people are arrested for DUI and ignore the rules as they are. So making the rules more strict would not affect the way they behave.
The bolded part of your post gives quite a large clue about the motivation behind the changes you think should happen to legislation. You make your living on people who get DUIs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages