Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

.08 is nonsense; no one with that level of blood alcohol is drunk. Before the federal government stuck their nose into local affairs limits were .12 and .15 for the most part. For example, Colorado used both. At .15 a person was considered drunk and it was a big deal; but .12 was considered impaired, a fairly serious moving violation but no suspension for a first offence. Now, MADD and the other prohibitionists are trying to reduce it to essentially zero. But even a lifelong teetotaler has a normal blood alcohol level of .01. This is nuts.

Lest someone think this would cause me trouble personally I'll mention that I am a very moderate drinker, probably averaging less than one drink per week. I have never had a ticket for being over any alcohol limit nor has a cop ever even checked me. I have had a major accident with a drunk driver. It was in downtown Denver about 10 P.M.; she was doing about 65. I rememember that her blood alcohol was .19. That's a drunk driver.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
That is crazy. That would make me a drunk driver.. Looks like no more wine or beer with dinner any more, when I am out...

Although, I think that this law, would increase drunk driving... And almost make drunk driving a marginal offense. Which, should not be the intent of any law.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
I would be shocked if this actually came to pass given the power of the liquor distribution lobby... they make most of their money off of alcoholic beverages ordered in bars & restaurants. For women especially, .05 BAC is equivalent to saying 0%, since a petite female can reach the limit with half a drink. Honestly i would rather have all new cars come equipped with some sort of Breathalyzer lock at .10 BAC than try to figure out whether that Imperial IPA was 9% or 7.5%.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Honestly i would rather have all new cars come equipped with some sort of Breathalyzer lock at .10 BAC than try to figure out whether that Imperial IPA was 9% or 7.5%.
This would never happen for two reasons. #1, many Americans would find this intrusive. #2, drunk driving is a big source of revenue for local precincts and the court system. Kinda like big tobacco and the tax revenue generated. If you are really concerned, you could always purchase your own breathalyzer and keep it in the car. I believe this is a great idea for those who plan to drink in moderation and drive afterwards.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
So I've been pulled over twice in the past year by local police on fishing expeditions. One time for doing 3 MPH over the speed limit 15 minutes after closing time. I wasn't even at a bar, but driving home from the airport after my flight got in really late. My eyes were a little red because I had been traveling all day and I was quite tired. So the cop really gave me the third degree and was kind of a jerk about it.

Next time was for improper lane change at a red light. Got sent away with a warning, but because it was a Saturday night you could tell the cop was hoping for more. I'm totally against drunk driving, but some of the new tactics that some police departments use to troll for DUI's is getting out of hand.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Saw this yesterday: NTSB recommends lowering blood alcohol level that constitutes drunken driving - U.S. News

The Feds want all the states to change the blood alcohol limit from .08 to .05. I don't really go out to bars or restaurants that often to drink, but it will put a curb on it. For most people two drinks would put them at or above .05. If you are a petite woman, one strong drink could put you over the limit.
Yes, it is being said 1 to 2 drinks would put you over the top. Let's be real about this: I don't care if you enjoy your cocktail or glass of wine, or if you are a total non drinker, this proposed law is going way to far. It will affect the profits at bars and restaurants, it is back to too much government control and it isn't going to do one damn thing to stop auto accidents due to drunk driving. Why, because people who are involved in DUIs have had way more than that to drink, 99% of the time, they have had double the .08 amount. BTW, like you, we do not drink and drive. There was a time, many years ago when we did, but we are way past that now. Yes, we usually do have a couple of glasses of wine when we go out for dinner or a drink and a glass. I will have one for lunch out if we are celebrating a birthday or something. We haven't been to a bar in God only knows how long. The point still is, pretty soon, the government will be tell us what color of shoes we can wear with our winter jackets.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
If they are going to do that they should at least tier it. I mean someone at .05 is not as bad as someone that is .08, etc. So the penalty should be different, if it isn't already (I never got a dui thankfully).

I will say though that according to this blood alchohol calculator website, I can drink almost five 1.5 ounce shots in an hour and be legal to drive. I know though that I would not be safe to drive if I drank that much that fast.

For a 130 pound woman that would be more than two drinks in an hour too. Obviously, everyone is different but really if you are drinking more than a couple of drinks in an hour you should probably be off the road. Just nurse a glass of water for a while.

BAC Calculator - Calculate Blood Alcohol Concentration Level | drivinglaws.org
The chart you are using isn't what will be used and no, you can't tier it; drunk driving is drunk driving. You can't say, well here, I am giving you a little ticket cause you are only a little drunk, but the last one I gave was to someone who was more than a little drunk. Plus you would have to take into consideration the size and sex of people and what had they been eating? We all know drinking on an empty stomach will affect you differently than on a full stomach. BTW, no one can drink five, 1.5 ounce drinks in an horu and not be legally drunk. Well no one of normal size.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:19 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
This is BS. That would make having 3 beers at dinner legally drunk.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
This is BS. That would make having 3 beers at dinner legally drunk.
actually depending on you weight and sex, it could even make 2 beers legally drunk. I still do not think, changing the limit is going to save lives and it will do damage to restaurants, bars and our pocket books. You can pretty well bet, if the legal limit is lowered, the establishments will increase the cost per drink, to make up for some of their losses. Who will pay? as usually the public.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
i can have 5 beers in one hour and be under .08 according to the chart

i remember when it was .10 in maine-the law just changed to .08, and i got picked up and was .08 -this was 27 yrs ago
if i were smart- i would have requested a blood test, not a breathalizer- it would have taken someone a half hr to come for a blood test, and i would have been under

this is another nanny law- this will hurt restaurants and bars- more people will lose there jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages