Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 PM

340 posts, read 915,408 times

Advertisements

How much do you tip? Normally I tip somewhere in between 20-30%, have tipped 50%, and have tipped a penny before (once).

So how about you?

I have a feeling someone is going to attack the tipping a penny, so I'll defend it now. I walked into a bar I've been to quite a few times. It was a busy night and I ordered 4 strawberry stoli bombs. When we drank them my buddy (who doesn't drink much) asks if there is alcohol in the drink. We all felt the same way, but it was coming from someone who doesn't drink.

$24 for 4 shots and I got 4 shots of red bull.

I tipped a penny and wrote a note explaining on the back of the receipt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,533,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
How much do you tip? Normally I tip somewhere in between 20-30%, have tipped 50%, and have tipped a penny before (once).
Former bartender here... I imagine the bartenders must love, love, love to see you coming, because 15-20% is normal in the US, while 10% is more common in Europe, and any tip at all is considered rude in Japan. Sorry to say, but you don't get any respect from bartenders by overtipping. They'll smile to your face, yeah, and take your big tip, and then talk about you behind your back. Not kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
$24 for 4 shots and I got 4 shots of red bull.
I tipped a penny and wrote a note explaining on the back of the receipt.
I never understand posts like this. If I got a drink that was missing the alcohol I would send it back to the bartender and ask for a remake. If that didn't produce the result I wanted I'd ask for the manager. Politely. Whatever the mistake was, tipping a penny without making your complaint known in a timely fashion did not give the establishment a chance to correct it, and did not get you any value for the money you spent.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:03 AM

306 posts, read 760,104 times
Bartender here...tip 20%. Never tip a penny unless you want ******* written across your forehead...leave nothing instead.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 AM

874 posts, read 1,663,275 times
I thought it was $1 a drink, if not $2, if you thought the drink was good.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,092,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I thought it was $1 a drink, if not $2, if you thought the drink was good.
I pretty much think as you: normally about a $1 a drink or $5 for a round of drinks, something like that..

Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,001,542 times
Depends. I usually tip around 20% at places I am familiar with. Other spots where Im notknown I tip 20% unless the service is slow then I tip 10%.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:36 PM

3,803 posts, read 9,345,657 times
If you are cash-and -carry, a buck a drink. Otherwise 20%. I tipped $20 on a $50 tab the other night because the bartenders took their time and kicked my ass with service, making me 2 Old Fashoineds, a George Burns, and something called a Sympathy For The Devil. And a Session Lager. And I walked home.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 PM

292 posts, read 1,068,918 times
20%

Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,579,646 times
20-30%

Old 03-27-2013, 04:29 PM

340 posts, read 915,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Former bartender here... I imagine the bartenders must love, love, love to see you coming, because 15-20% is normal in the US, while 10% is more common in Europe, and any tip at all is considered rude in Japan. Sorry to say, but you don't get any respect from bartenders by overtipping. They'll smile to your face, yeah, and take your big tip, and then talk about you behind your back. Not kidding.
I disagree. While I may not get "respect" for it, the next time I come back if I go to the same waitress she is always overpouring... and I love a strong drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I never understand posts like this. If I got a drink that was missing the alcohol I would send it back to the bartender and ask for a remake. If that didn't produce the result I wanted I'd ask for the manager. Politely. Whatever the mistake was, tipping a penny without making your complaint known in a timely fashion did not give the establishment a chance to correct it, and did not get you any value for the money you spent.
It was a bomb.

Chug and done. There's no sipping involved. Therefore I had nothing to show the manager. But I do see your logic about not getting any value for the money I spent... excellent point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages