Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I was disappointed with the NW Missouri wine trail. Their wines were generally a tad too sweet for my liking and some had too much ethyl acetate. However, Pirtle, Belvoir and Fence Stile were worth the trip. On the plus side, the majority of the wines fit in the $15 limit of this thread. Mostly French Hybrids (Chardonnel, Vignoles, Chambourcin).
I think I might be confused: I am not sure we are hitting the NW wine trail: I really don't know what we are doing (not unusual for me) but we are visiting the ones near Hermann. Is that the same thing you are referring to or something different?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 12:29 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think I might be confused: I am not sure we are hitting the NW wine trail: I really don't know what we are doing (not unusual for me) but we are visiting the ones near Hermann. Is that the same thing you are referring to or something different?

Nita
My mistake; I thought when you were in KC you might be visiting the local wineries. Hermann is a much better option. Puchta, Hermannhof, and Stone Hill all produce excellent German-style wines, the latter has some very nice sparkling wines for around $10. Last time I was there I flew into STL so couldn't take much back, next time maybe I'll drive.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-30-2012 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
My mistake; I thought when you were in KC you might be visiting the local wineries. Hermann is a much better option. Puchta, Hermannhof, and Stone Hill all produce excellent German-style wines, the latter has some very nice sparkling wines for around $10. Last time I was there I flew into STL so couldn't take much back, next time maybe I'll drive.
Stone Hill is the one I was thinking of..It is still over 2 months away but we are looking forward to the trip. Normally our vacations are cruising, flying someplace exotic, etc, so this is a really fun, cheap and relaxing one for us. I have been to Branson, but hubby hasn't, neither of us have been to Hermann; heard fun things about it and after 4 plus years here we are finally going to see KC. Thanks for clearing that up, I wa getting a little depressed. (well not really) but I did want to try some different wines..

Nita

Old 08-01-2012, 11:46 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
I'm not a wine drinker, but I usually by Barefoot brand Moscato. I keep a bottle in the house whenever I have an attractive female coming to the house. Women love it. Around $7-$8 a bottle after tax

I actually do think it tastes pretty good as I have a sweet tooth anyway, I enjoy a nice chilled glass of it with said attractive female interest. It leads to more mutually enjoyable things

Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,964 times
Blecch to Moscato. AND "Barefoot" anything. My mother drinks their Pinot Grigio. She buys the Sauv Blanc "for" me, because, as she says "But that's the kind you like!". Yes mother. i like Sauv Blanc. I do NOT like Barefoot.
So much for your theory Davie.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Blecch to Moscato. AND "Barefoot" anything. My mother drinks their Pinot Grigio. She buys the Sauv Blanc "for" me, because, as she says "But that's the kind you like!". Yes mother. i like Sauv Blanc. I do NOT like Barefoot.
I pretty much agree with you: Barefoot isn't the worst, but it doesn't excite me; I will drink it if served to me at a friends, but I would not buy it. and I do not like Moscato at all; anyway, anytime, anyplace.

Nita

Old 08-01-2012, 03:24 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
AGAIN we "sisters" agree! I. hate. Barefoot. I think I tried every one of their wines, and poured every one of them down the drain - and believe me, I do NOT do that often! For the price point there are far better wines out there. I notice it's always on sale, too - wonder why..... Oh and yeah, no Moscato for me, either.

Currently sipping my delicious Camelot Chard - scored two more bottles of 2008 vintage at Walgreens for $5.00 each - a great buy!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Hey ladies, I was just speaking from personal experience, the ladies I have been with seem to enjoy Moscato especially chilled and I like it myself. I am sure there are better brands than Barefoot, however I dont make a lot of money and buy what I can afford

Though personally I am more of a beer and hard liqour (I do not consume in that order lol ) when the occasion calls for a chilled bottle of wine, Moscato seems to help set the mood right

Old 08-01-2012, 03:38 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Hey ladies, I was just speaking from personal experience, the ladies I have been with seem to enjoy Moscato especially chilled and I like it myself. I am sure there are better brands than Barefoot, however I dont make a lot of money and buy what I can afford

Though personally I am more of a beer and hard liqour (I do not consume in that order lol ) when the occasion calls for a chilled bottle of wine, Moscato seems to help set the mood right
Hey Davie, nuttin' personal. I'm sure lots of people like Barefoot and Moscato - after all, they sell plenty of the stuff! Drink what you like and make no apologies! But I was only pointing out that Barefoot is the same price I pay for a lot of other wines that I like more, and to me anyway, seem better quality. Stuff like this seems to be mostly enjoyed by people who aren't really "wine drinkers" like yourself (you like beer and spirits) See I'm not much of a beer person - on those rare occasions I drink a beer I'm happy with an icy cold Bud Light!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hey Davie, nuttin' personal. I'm sure lots of people like Barefoot and Moscato - after all, they sell plenty of the stuff! Drink what you like and make no apologies! But I was only pointing out that Barefoot is the same price I pay for a lot of other wines that I like more, and to me anyway, seem better quality. Stuff like this seems to be mostly enjoyed by people who aren't really "wine drinkers" like yourself (you like beer and spirits) See I'm not much of a beer person - on those rare occasions I drink a beer I'm happy with an icy cold Bud Light!
I can appreciate an nice cold ice cold bud light. good call!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages