Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,316 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting interview done of Rob Samuels the head of Maker's Mark about the lowering of the abv. I can see why they reversed that decision quickly.

WhiskyCast: The Cask-Strength Podcast

The interview is towards the last half of the podcast.

They could probably stop much of the shortage if they just stopped shipping it to Costco for a while. Costco often has stuff one day and then it's gone the next. Of course it might **** a few people off but probably not as much as changing the recipe did.

Does anyone know if they actually shipped out the lower strength version anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,320,497 times
I didn't know Costco even sold liquor! I've got to get up there.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Does this mean that Maker's Mark will now be called Maker's Mark Classic?

Old 02-18-2013, 04:54 PM

Here's the conversation the owners had about why they changed it back:

Interview: Maker’s Mark Returns to 90 Proof: “We’re Sorry” | Drink Spirits

I guess there were a few cases of the 86 proof bottles released. It would be cool to grab one.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:12 PM

Ok. One more article. This must have been written a while ago about the Maker's Mark story. A good read too.

The Story of Maker’s Mark Whiskey | Drink Spirits

Another key element in Maker’s Mark’s success is that they rarely give in to market pressure. “We measure success as we’ve never lost control of the product. Our number one marketing goal is to not alienate our existing customers and always try to make new friends.” Whiskey connoisseurs have often pushed Maker’s Mark to put out 8 or 12 year bourbon, and they’ve flatly refused. “Maker’s ages quicker than other bourbons because of the wheat, which is more sensitive than rye. There are also fewer alcohol derivatives which puts its peak flavor balance at 6-7 years”.

Guess they temporarily forgot about that one. At least they recovered quickly enough.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-18-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Ok. One more article. This must have been written a while ago about the Maker's Mark story. ... ...Guess they temporarily forgot about that one.
I've been to the distillery a couple of times, I've met two of the Samuels, I've long been a fan, and my name is on a barrel that will be coming up ready to be bottled in a year or so.

Nevertheless, I think the following excerpt from Wikipedia may shed some light on the situation...

Quote:
Maker's Mark was sold to Hiram Walker & Sons in 1981, which sold it to distillery giant Allied Domecq in 1987, which in turn sold it to Deerfield, Illinois-based Fortune Brands in 2005.[1] In 2011 Fortune Brands split; its drinks business became Beam Inc.
IOW, it doesn't matter how much a family business runs on a founder's philosophy at the beginning, once they get acquired by a big corporation, the founder's values get... (ahem)... diluted over time.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
So you're saying you avoided the shortages by personally causing a shortage? Hmmmmm

Reminds me, I've got to find out when my barrel is due to be bottled. That will be fun.
I counted 50 bottles of Makers Mark so I only impacted that store by 12 percent.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I've been to the distillery a couple of times, I've met two of the Samuels, I've long been a fan, and my name is on a barrel that will be coming up ready to be bottled in a year or so.

Nevertheless, I think the following excerpt from Wikipedia may shed some light on the situation...

IOW, it doesn't matter how much a family business runs on a founder's philosophy at the beginning, once they get acquired by a big corporation, the founder's values get... (ahem)... diluted over time.
That definitely can happen but not always. I will say that Maker's has done a hell of a job keeping their loyal following and growing the company for so many years. I guess you're allowed one screw up after so long. Especially if you swallow your pride, admit your mistake and move on. I think they did a good job realizing their mistake and correcting it. I'm not sure there are many other whiskies or spirits that would have elicited such a response.

The irony is that now there has been so much media attention to this that they probably will have MORE supply issues. Well, as someone said, it's a good problem to have.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
The irony is that now there has been so much media attention to this that they probably will have MORE supply issues. Well, as someone said, it's a good problem to have.
I think the other thing worth noting is that Jack Daniels reduced their ABV 10 years ago and came out smelling like roses. Of course that was before Facebook and Twitter, which drove the fast turnaround.

I guess it proves that iMob Rules!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Default Maker's Mark Diluting it's product permanently

I'm a MM drinker. And while I certainly don't look at this as good news, it won't change my opinion of this fine bourbon if it doesn't alter the flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages