Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 10,136 times

Advertisements

My husband will be starting graduate work at UNM this fall. We love the "college town" feel here in Provo - we live right by campus and walk everywhere. We have 3 little kids ages 2-6, with one due in June.

We walk everywhere and finally just got rid of our car. We would like to do the same there, if possible - but that means I have rather specific limits on my housing search!

1. 3 bedroom apt or home (though I'm nervous to rent a home without seeing it)
2. close to a grocery store
3. area that's safe for kids
4. close enough to bus routes that my husband can use the bus to get to UNM (this seems pretty simple, the public transit looks good)
5. safe area so I can use the bus with the kids to get to the library, etc.
6. No or few-as-possible cockroaches, please!!

Am I just dreaming? Do I need a wake up call? Is this going to be possible? I see a lot of big complexes online, quite a few with 3 bedrooms, but they are of course set on showing off their gym and pool & so I don't know much about having a family there. (Neighborhood, place to leave strollers, etc.) Any help??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 10,136 times
What about the area near Cottonwood mall/Lovelace Westside Hospital? is that a safe area to walk in? what about bug problems? Anyone live there?

Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommywith4kids View Post
What about the area near Cottonwood mall/Lovelace Westside Hospital? is that a safe area to walk in? what about bug problems? Anyone live there?
I don't think the Westside works very well with your desire to not drive.

Have you checked out the website walkscore.com ?

Old 05-05-2010, 03:05 PM

366 posts, read 868,887 times
Quote:
My husband will be starting graduate work at UNM this fall. We love the "college town" feel here in Provo - we live right by campus and walk everywhere. We have 3 little kids ages 2-6, with one due in June.

We walk everywhere and finally just got rid of our car. We would like to do the same there, if possible - but that means I have rather specific limits on my housing search!

1. 3 bedroom apt or home (though I'm nervous to rent a home without seeing it)
2. close to a grocery store
3. area that's safe for kids
4. close enough to bus routes that my husband can use the bus to get to UNM (this seems pretty simple, the public transit looks good)
5. safe area so I can use the bus with the kids to get to the library, etc.
6. No or few-as-possible cockroaches, please!!

Am I just dreaming? Do I need a wake up call? Is this going to be possible? I see a lot of big complexes online, quite a few with 3 bedrooms, but they are of course set on showing off their gym and pool & so I don't know much about having a family there. (Neighborhood, place to leave strollers, etc.) Any help??
I don't think you are dreaming because you didn't mention price, so that is the variable that can go up as needed.

I think the area you want is Nob Hill, basically east of UNM. It is the most walkable area and nicest area for walking. Depending on where exactly you live there would be a Smiths to the west and north and a super Walmart to the east. None of which would be easily walkable but at least one should be a really easy bus ride depending on your exact location. It should be safe, cockroaches are hit or miss, I find one property won't see them, while another one half a mile away has tons. The problem will be finding a nice 3 bedroom big enough for 6 people.

You can use this to get an idea of bus travel time for other areas Plan Your Ride with ABQ RIDE - City of Albuquerque.

Cottonwood to UNM is 45 minutes on the blue line.

Cottonwood is a safe area to walk in (unless you include the large amount of traffic, which makes it less safe). However it is covered in massive big box stores with huge parking lots so I don't know how pleasant it would be to walk in.

I would not rent a house I haven't seen, visit first or grab a weekly for a bit once you get here.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:38 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,404 times
Nob Hill is great but I wouldn't suggest it with kids. There are better schools, and safer neighborhoods in the far NE Heights (along Paseo Del Norte). If crime is a huge concern and I would think it is coming from Provo, I think you'll far prefer this area. The bus ride to the UNM Area will take a while longer but the quality of life for you would be worth it (IMO). Plus he could take the bus down to the Journal Center Rail Runner station, hop on the train to Downtown, then bike or bus up the hill a bit to UNM. Although that might make for an even longer trip.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,404 times
Quote:
I live in this area, and love it. However the commute by bus to UNM will take a good 35-45 minutes (I believe).

Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 PM

132 posts, read 291,189 times
I'll put in a vote for the North Campus neighborhood and even pushing east toward and beyond Carlisle. Very safe, accessible neighborhood with easy bus service along Carlisle and Lomas (N-S and E-W). Good schools too.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:27 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Yes - ^^ - north campus, near monte vista, that general area. Monte Vista Elementary and Jefferson Middle school are fine. Its a walk to campus. The area is very nice and walkable. Though...hm...the closest supermarket will be either up on Carlisle and Constitution or the ghetto Smiths down on Yale, if you are looking for a big chain supermarket.

The area around UNM is probably one of the most doable car-free areas. No need to put yourself out in the middle of BFE (far NE hts, far westside) and have your husband take a bus to UNM. Also, there are zip cars on campus - reserve one for a time period, walk on over, hop in, and do your shopping. Not sure where else there are zip cars to pick up and drop off.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,579 times
Yep, directly north or east of the campus - your husband could even walk or bike to work, if he so desires. It's really not even necessary to take the bus in these areas. North campus/Nob Hill neighborhoods (around monte vista/carlisle etc are safe, interesting, and there is a good mix of ages - plenty of older folks, young kids, college kids, etc.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:12 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,231 times
UNM North is the way to go, as Bb mentioned no need to catch a bus as bicycles are very popular in the area, and depending how far from class he is he might even be able to walk. You could also walk to parks with your kids too

There are very desirable elementary schools in that area so expect to pay a little more rent wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque