Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 52,086,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommywith4kids View Post
Update for you all - thank you, by the way, for taking the time to comment on this post. I had no idea so many people would be so nice to try and answer my questions.

Karen
Karen, good luck to you and the family, I'm glad all the responses were of good use to you.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 PM

923 posts, read 2,431,513 times
We will be neighbors . I live only a few short blocks from the church I think you are referring to. We really like the area and never have to drive far for any kind of shopping at all. You name it -- it's close by within a couple of miles or a short walk. Besides the hospital, there's also a police sub station and fire department right down the road. So you are covered in case of an emergency.

Feel free to PM me any time if you have any questions about the neighborhood and/or the schools.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:32 AM

55 posts, read 133,557 times
Quote:
Update for you all - thank you, by the way, for taking the time to comment on this post. I had no idea so many people would be so nice to try and answer my questions. Thank you!

I have settled, if it turns out they have openings in August, on the area by Lovelace Westside Hospital and Cottonwood Mall. I understand that walking everywhere probably sounds odd anyway to most people. We are odd-balls here, too! But I found that in that area, I can find a 3 bedroom apartment that is within a 20 minute walk or less to my church, 2 grocery stores, Costco, WalMart, plus the mall. The mall has a bus transfer point, and the "blue line" goes straight to UNM with no transfers needed. My husband likes to read so having a 40 minute ride to read his homework will be great & not a problem for us. I found at least 2 complexes that seem average priced for New Mexico and look safe and clean. I have a friend that will likely be able to go see them for me as well.

I realize that Albuquerque is probably not my first choice of where to settle down - I like old Victorian houses, small city, and lots of arts & culture (I'm thinking Virgina would be nice.. ) But this is the best program for my husband (that he got in to!) and we're going forward with it anyway. Likely we'll be there for two years is all, then off to a PhD.

While it's not "ideal" - ABQ does have a zoo, which is fun, and lots of museums it looks like. We are LDS so having a temple in the town is a huge bonus. So, the city and culture may not fit my style, but it's where we're ending up! Thank you all SO much. Really. And thanks to those who sent me direct messages reassuring me about bugs! I had someone tell me that every neighborhood in ABQ had cockroach problems. But the more I look at apts online and read reviews, the less it appears it is a universal problem - just avoid dirty, low-priced, or high-crime areas... - just like in any big city. This Cottonwood Mall area seems like a newer area of town and I am less concerned now that bugs will be an automatic battle the whole time I'm there! (Though I will keep things extra clean & also have my friend check out the apt first!)

Thank you all again so much. You have opened up my eyes to what areas would be good to avoid, and also where I might or might not want to "visit" with my family on a Saturday day trip! I am excited to explore a little at a time some of these "walking" neighborhoods you've described, for example.

Thanks again, all!

Karen
Hi Karen,
I personally think that’s not a bad area/idea. As I mentioned before, it would be difficult to find a place you like without sacrificing at least one of the four things (1. Price 2. Schools 3. Commute 4. Crime) here in ABQ. You might want to find out that if your husband can ride the bus for free since he will be a full time student (I know students in UT ride for free). In case it does not work out, I know there’s an LDS church in Edgewood. There’s a Smith’s, too (feel likes home isn’t it?). Anyway, good luck on the move.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:20 PM

5,119 posts, read 7,563,715 times
Quote:
I realize that Albuquerque is probably not my first choice of where to settle down - I like old Victorian houses, small city, and lots of arts & culture (I'm thinking Virgina would be nice.. )
Albuquerque does have Victorian houses, in the Huning Highlands neighborhood, the 12th St. neighborhood, and some other downtown areas. Of course there are none on the West Side which is very new housing stock.

It sounds like you think you're moving to an uncultured place. I have to take exception and defend the cultural life of Albuquerque, just take a look at the Wikipedia article on Albuquerque and its section on the arts. Dozens of organizations are listed. Coming from New York and Boston, I can say that Albuquerque for its size has a lot to offer culturally. Not so much on the West Side or Rio Rancho (although the movie theater in the Cottonwood Mall does show the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts in high definition on two screens). Pretty much it all happens east of the river. We have lots of small theaters, art galleries, different chamber music series, a professional symphony orchestra, community orchestras, Opera Southwest, and a few excellent choral groups. The UNM campus has a major concert hall with an extensive performance series and lots of traveling acts, and a small art museum. The main art museum is in Old Town. The National Hispanic Cultural Center also houses an excellent art museum and performance venues. I could go on and on. There will be plenty to keep you busy. Check out the Albuquerque Arts monthly magazine when you get here, it has almost 30 pages of arts and music listings and articles.

If you don't like what Albuquerque has to offer, you can hop the RailRunner to Santa Fe, which is the country's largest art market after New York and L.A.

What kind of cultural activities or arts are of particular interest to you? You will be limited in your ability to partake of the arts here without a car, especially living on the West Side. I feel uneasy about you walking everywhere with four kids in the Cottonwood area, it will be brutal in the summer with no shade, and along commercial, not residential, streets, and having to cross major highways with cars speeding everywhere. You'd be much better off in the UNM area or downtown as a family of pedestrians who love the arts.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:00 PM

108 posts, read 266,459 times
"I feel uneasy about you walking everywhere with four kids in the Cottonwood area, it will be brutal in the summer with no shade, and along commercial, not residential, streets, and having to cross major highways with cars speeding everywhere. You'd be much better off in the UNM area or downtown as a family of pedestrians who love the arts."

My thoughts exactly! I'm not sure why the original poster would be resistant to living in some of the areas on the east side of the river--even right around UNM--as many have suggested.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM

26 posts, read 119,371 times
Quote:
Update for you all - thank you, by the way, for taking the time to comment on this post. I had no idea so many people would be so nice to try and answer my questions. Thank you!

I have settled, if it turns out they have openings in August, on the area by Lovelace Westside Hospital and Cottonwood Mall. I understand that walking everywhere probably sounds odd anyway to most people. We are odd-balls here, too! But I found that in that area, I can find a 3 bedroom apartment that is within a 20 minute walk or less to my church, 2 grocery stores, Costco, WalMart, plus the mall. The mall has a bus transfer point, and the "blue line" goes straight to UNM with no transfers needed. My husband likes to read so having a 40 minute ride to read his homework will be great & not a problem for us. I found at least 2 complexes that seem average priced for New Mexico and look safe and clean. I have a friend that will likely be able to go see them for me as well.

I realize that Albuquerque is probably not my first choice of where to settle down - I like old Victorian houses, small city, and lots of arts & culture (I'm thinking Virgina would be nice.. ) But this is the best program for my husband (that he got in to!) and we're going forward with it anyway. Likely we'll be there for two years is all, then off to a PhD.

While it's not "ideal" - ABQ does have a zoo, which is fun, and lots of museums it looks like. We are LDS so having a temple in the town is a huge bonus. So, the city and culture may not fit my style, but it's where we're ending up! Thank you all SO much. Really. And thanks to those who sent me direct messages reassuring me about bugs! I had someone tell me that every neighborhood in ABQ had cockroach problems. But the more I look at apts online and read reviews, the less it appears it is a universal problem - just avoid dirty, low-priced, or high-crime areas... - just like in any big city. This Cottonwood Mall area seems like a newer area of town and I am less concerned now that bugs will be an automatic battle the whole time I'm there! (Though I will keep things extra clean & also have my friend check out the apt first!)

Thank you all again so much. You have opened up my eyes to what areas would be good to avoid, and also where I might or might not want to "visit" with my family on a Saturday day trip! I am excited to explore a little at a time some of these "walking" neighborhoods you've described, for example.

Thanks again, all!

Karen
I've lived near the Nob Hill area since last Fall and I think you would like the area around Hyder Park much better. It's not a big park just a small community park with lots of shady trees. It's family-oriented area, sweet little Ernie Pyle library a block away from the park, the park has many locals walking their dogs and jogging, a very friendly place and I see lots of kids there playing. I lost my cellphone there and it was returned!!!! There's an elementary school a block away from the park although you said your kiddies are homeschooled. I only drive to Costco, Trader Joe's and Ross and I need a car for those trips. Someone else mentioned UNM North and they know more than I do about the area. I did notice lots of pretty homes near UNM. I like living near the University and that Hyder Park area is about a mile from UNM. BTW, bars on the windows are just the style here, not a big deal.
I like this area because it's liberal, I like the influence of the unversity (parking is expensive at UNM though!) and the laid back atmosphere, people walk their dogs a lot and are very casual. I do think you'll probably end up getting a car eventually for grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. A Michigan friend told me 1990, 91 or 92 Dodge Caravans (only those years) can be bought cheap $600 or so and they run very well even in snow (the snow is minimal here). But you'll probably end up with a Subaru. When you tire of the apartment in the soul less part of town, please come and rent or buy one of those sweet artistic casitas near UNM or a larger house near Nob Hill. I would NEVER EVER rent a place I hadn't seen in person. Also, I totally agree with you on bugs, I hate them with a passion. Wood or tile floors, no carpet, caulk everywhere, seal all gaps.
Because of you, I would like to visit Provo, it sounds like my kind of place. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque