Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 PM

34 posts, read 104,348 times

Advertisements

I vacation in Albuquerque as much as possible. I made it down for the balloon fest last year. And I have been there at different times of the year. I've decided I want to move there. The weather is so much nicer than in Nebraska. I find it to be a fairly clean city and I havent had any problems with getting around the city everytime Ive been there. Everyone I have met there so far seems friendlier than here. The only negative person I met was in Rio Rancho. Anyways, I am wondering about jobs. I know there is not an over abundance of well paying jobs. I dont have a degree but am certified in law enforcement. I have checked into APD and Bernalillo County Sheriff. Their hiring process is quite extensive. I cant afford to keep going back and forth. I was wondering about the Metro Jail. Good place to work, ease of hiring, etc.. Im not too particular about the type of work, as long as it pays rent and my other expenses. I'm single so other than a car payment, my expenses are fairly low. Im 28 so I am capable of doing about any type of work. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have read and searched many posts regarding other questions I had. The only other question I can think of is cell phone providers. I do like to travel so I have to have good nationwide plan. The last thread I read was a little outdated. Any updates would be great. My current provider works in NM but they are not located there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:42 AM

426 posts, read 1,087,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefz View Post
I have read and searched many posts regarding other questions I had. The only other question I can think of is cell phone providers. I do like to travel so I have to have good nationwide plan. The last thread I read was a little outdated. Any updates would be great. My current provider works in NM but they are not located there.

We have all the major carriers that other states have. The only one we have not found everywhere is Cricket. What are you looking for in a phone? Most carriers offer nationwide coverage, no roaming, no long distance etc. Nationwide coverage and no roaming are not really deal breakers anymore. And for new customers, price is sometimes almost the same everywhere you go. While AT&T tends to be viewed as pricier than the others, I can assure you that had I stayed with T-Mobile (loyalty customer after three years) and upgraded to a Smart Phone, I would be paying the same thing I'm paying now for my current plan. I suggest thinking about what kind of phone you want, and going from there.

As for me...

I have an iPhone with AT&T and the coverage is great. My mom has an old Nokia on Verizon, and an older Nokia with T-Mobie. The service for the latter is pretty much solid, but there are some spotty areas, and maybe two dead zones I've run into. The former has never had a dropped call or iffy service in nearly 4 years. EVER.

Other family members have had other brands of phones on T-Mobile and Verizon and their service wasn't all that great. Cricket has been the worst experience over all in our family. You pay full price for the phone outright, and you pay for your service a month ahead of time. The phones break easily. So called "insurance plans" suck because you end up with nothing but a broken cell phone (in our experience), and the service is TERRIBLE! You could buy one of their most expensive phones, and still get lackluster coverage. Also, customer service both over the phone and in person seems to be lacking as well.

There are many companies now offering phones for under $100.00, like T-Mobile, and many companies with shorter contracts like Alltel. It just doesn't make sense to go with Cricket anymore in my opinion.

My pick for best phones - iPhone and Nokia
My pick for best provider - Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. In that order. Any future phone/coverage combination of mine would involve only the aforementioned.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 AM

995 posts, read 2,729,374 times
Is Sprint in ABQ? Coverage isn't the greatest where I live, but you can't be their plans.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefz View Post
The only other question I can think of is cell phone providers. I do like to travel so I have to have good nationwide plan.
We are still using Verizon. I don't recall how many providers my wife has tried here in the last 10 years, but Verizon has worked for us here, TX, MD, FL, GA, PA where the others have not. But technology can change quickly.

I believe this is the latest thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...l#post11337445

Rich

Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 AM

28 posts, read 80,512 times
I have been generally pleased with AT&T and so has my family in other states (although I cannot speak for NM specifically), so I plan to keep it when I move to ABQ. They usually have free phone deals with various packages (maybe the others do too).

Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,479,678 times
Default Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Is Sprint in ABQ? Coverage isn't the greatest where I live, but you can't be their plans.
I switched from Sprint to Verizon just before I moved here last month.
Had checked out how my Sprint phone did while visiting and coverage was not good. Only 1-2 bars in many places even in the metro ABQ area and Rio Rancho/Bernalilllo. The impact of this when I tried to use the phone was predictable - very poor phone performance.
You're right about Sprints' plans but they don't do any good if you can't get decent coverage.
So I switched to Verizon and have been very happy so far, although we haven't traveled very far out of the ABQ area yet.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,744,450 times
Verizon is by far the best and T-Mobile by far the worst as far as coverage goes.

There is another jail down in Los Lunas, have you checked with them? Also last year I know the Motor Transportation Police (MTPD) were hiring, but their closest barracks? would be Santa Fe.

If all else fails I know someone with the Nebraska State Police and they are in need of good men and women.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,752,546 times
We went with AT&T when we moved here in October of 2008 and don't have any
complaints throughout the entire area, but the signal strength in our specific
neighborhood (87120) is not the best and we occasionally have dropped calls.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 PM

34 posts, read 104,348 times
Thanks for the feedback. I used to live in Lincoln, NE and had AT&T. Unless they have changed, been several years so its possible, I had good coverage in town, but once I left the city I didnt have anything. I currently have US Cellular. Not available, yet, in NM. It worked pretty good each time I was there. Even on top of Sandia Peak. A few spots weren't so good. Basically, I am looking for a provider with nationwide coverage, a good texting plan, and reasonably priced. I dont need internet on my phone or other extras.

To Bernco Homes.. NSP is para-military that doesnt do a lateral class and takes months to get hired on. I dont want to do a 20+ week class. The last time they allowed lateral it was still 9 weeks. My original academy was 14 weeks. I also work with 4 troopers stationed in my area of the state. Also, they have been in question the last couple years and dont always have a recruiting class, leaving some positions open. I will check out the Los Lunas jail. I was looking at the metro jail because I focused my search primarily in ABQ and Rio Rancho.

I am planning a week trip in March to NM and plan on spending a couple days in ABQ. My tenative plan is to move this fall (Sept) after I will have enough saved for deposits, rent, etc... I have a week or so of vacation and I plan on taking it in Aug or Sept to go to ABQ and apply for jobs so I will be good to go when I get there.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 PM

107 posts, read 344,701 times
I'm with Sprint for more than 10 years. Hands down the best IMO. I've been all over & out of the country into 3rd world and my phone has always worked...very well. I carry a Blackberry for the last 5 or so years and it gets the best reception of any phone I've ever carried with Sprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque