Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:08 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,077 times

Advertisements

I have never complained about the U.S. Postal Service any place I have lived, until now. I'm wondering if others in Albuquerque are having similar experiences. Over the past year or so, about one quarter of all items our family has ordered through the mail never makes it to our house, or gets here a month or more later than expected after being routed to the wrong place. We've even sent priority, certified mail that seems to have disappeared. About once a week, we receive mail intended for another address, which makes us wonder who might have gotten our mail. Friends from other regions of the country have called and asked if we received something they sent us, when it never arrived. Of course, I realize their mailings may have gotten lost before ever getting to Albuquerque, but, even so...I've never seen such lousy service anywhere else. I mentioned this to a mail carrier during a casual conversation in another part of Albuquerque, and he asked me where I lived. When I told him (Foothills), he laughed and said, "Everybody knows that's the worst part of the city for mail service!" So...is our experience unique or are other folks in the Duke City experiencing a lot of USPS mail problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,093 times
I have all my mail delivered to a box at PakMail, and all outgoing mail is dropped off at the Steve Schiff station. So far, so good. I have noticed there is a BIG delay at the Denver sort center for both parcel post and priority mail I've sent out. Not sure why, either.

Do you get your mail delivered to your door, or do you have to use one of those multi-unit postal box things?

Old 10-18-2008, 12:42 AM

yukon...I have mail delivered to my own mailbox, which has a slot and key. That's something we did after having mail stolen from the box over a year ago. And...we send outgoing mail from the Steve Schiff station. The last items we sent through the Steve Schiff station were priority, certified mailings over a week ago, and they have not reached their destination (in Texas). When we enter the tracking number into the USPS web site, it just tells us the items were accepted at the Steve Schiff station over a week ago. It just seems that we have similar problems every few weeks.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:28 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,873 times
I own an online business and we used to have a lot of problems shipping internationally. We would have our mail picked up daily and quite often international packages were not been scanned into the system and our customers were thinking we hadn't shipped their item. We started dropping off international packages at Broadway and that took care of that problem.

Another problem we had was when we moved business address our mail forwarding failed miserably. None of the forwarded mail was delivered and it still hasn't arrived over a year later, the post office say they have no idea where it could be.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:59 AM

Monday was a holiday, and that always seems to delay things for several days, not just one. For some reason, the past 4-6 weeks my items (PP and PM) going east have been delayed in Denver, or at least the ones scanned along the way show that way. Not sure why, there was no weather or other natural disaster. Berncohmes, I have an on-line business too and drop all my packages off (no where to leave them for pickup at the house). I have better luck with packages shipped from Steve Schiff - when I ship from Lomas or Haines/Juan Tabo, packages seem to take a day or two longer. Where is the Broadway PO?

mrgoodwx, have you considered using a mail box service (ie. PakMail or UPS Store)? This is my second city using one and since I started, I haven't had any problems with non-deliveries or lost mail. I also like that the mail place signs for my UPS and Fed Ex packages, and that they're inside rather than sitting out on my patio when I'm not home at delivery time. Not a major hassle, either. I try to pick a store in an area I frequent - by my favorite grocery for example, and pick up the mail once or twice a week. Well worth the money.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:08 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,873 times
Broadway PO is just south of Lomas on the west side of the street. Where is Steve Schiff? The thing I don't like is that because my business is in 87102 I am only allowed to drop my mail off at either Broadway or the one inside the Federal Courthouse which has no parking.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:54 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
Steve Schiff Post Office 87111 is just E of Eubank & Candelaria. Used to be a twin theatre there, but that was probably 20 years ago.

Only allowed to drop off mail in certain places? Sounds like an artificial constraint to me. I seldom used any post office in 87102 to send out mail even though that's where my business was located.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:37 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,877 times
Mr Goodwx - We were also in 87111, i.e. the post office @ Eubank & Candelaria. Our house was near Eubank & Juan Tabo, in a neighborhood which had traditional mailboxes [located at the end of the driveway]. We didn't experience any problems with our mail delivery, although the carrier had a bad habit of leaving the mailbox door open after deliveries.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
mrgoodwx, have you considered using a mail box service (ie. PakMail or UPS Store)? This is my second city using one and since I started, I haven't had any problems with non-deliveries or lost mail. I also like that the mail place signs for my UPS and Fed Ex packages, and that they're inside rather than sitting out on my patio when I'm not home at delivery time. Not a major hassle, either. I try to pick a store in an area I frequent - by my favorite grocery for example, and pick up the mail once or twice a week. Well worth the money.
Today, I checked with USPS on one of my priority, certified mailings of Oct 10 (from the Steve Schiff office). They have no idea where it may be...eight days later. They also told me I was mistaken, thinking priority mail would get to its destination in 2 or 3 days. Yet, their own web page says the following about priority mail: "The only two-day service that delivers to mailboxes, mail slots and P.O. Boxes."

I'm going to take yukon's advice. Actually, we have used the UPS store with good results in the past, so that's going to be our choice from now on for shipping. From now on, we'll also try to have orders sent to us by any means other than USPS. I just can't believe how poor their service has been for us over the past year. It sounds like most of you have had better results. Thanks for your responses...

Old 10-18-2008, 06:09 PM

berncohomes, are you printing your postage on-line? If you are, all you need to do is enter a different zip in the "origination zip" field. My mailing address is 87110 but I put 87111 in the origination zip and can then drop it off at Steve Schiff or the express PO inside Smith's at Mountain Run. I do wish more PO's around here would install the APC units, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque