Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM

68 posts, read 357,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
Hi to everyone! My husband, son and I are looking to relocate to your city as soon as we sell our house here in Illinois We have been kind of floundering in what we want, but have decided to throw caution to the wind and grab the brass ring.

My husband recently quit the company he worked at for 12 years (in computer networking) and decided to find a new beginning. Since he's been unemployed he has tried numerous times to find a techie job in Albuquerque, but has been told they only hire inter-state. We then decided to become locals. Our house goes on the market VERY soon and we make the plunge.

We will only be able to afford $150,000 or less in a house and would prefer a rural enviornment commutable to Albuquerque. We will either have to lease a house or lease with an option to buy because of his employment status. Can anyone recommend an affordable, rurual, commutable area or am I dreaming once again? Thanks in advance for reading my rather lengthy post.

By the way, we will be visiting the area in April and will want to target the areas recommended so I would appreaciate any information you may be able to give before then. Thanks again!!

Try Los lunas, Belen or Bosque farms. Probably 20 or 30 minute commute, these communities are in Valencia county, part of the ABQ metropolitan area south of ABQ and are somewhat rural,, the area is growing and u might be able to find something in your price range...just be careful before purchasing anything..some parts of these towns can have alot of crime.....

here r some links
http://homes.point2.com/US/New-Mexic...al-Estate.aspx

http://www.loslunashomes4u.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
TCK

166 posts, read 567,114 times
Default I Live In Rio Rancho

I live in Rio Rancho and have worked with people who live in Los Lunas and Belen and don't mind the drive!!!! $150K won't buy much in Rio Rancho anymore.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:15 AM

4,467 posts, read 10,691,813 times
A friend of mine bought a house last year in the SW part of town, off Sage near the Coors/Old Coors split. Her neighborhood is fairly new, about 3 yrs old, and she found a nice 3 Bed/2 car garage house for $140K. Seems like a nice enough area where she is. She works at the university, says her commute isn't too bad.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:28 AM

3,688 posts, read 9,245,675 times
That same house, today, with appreciation, is probably over $150k. Prices have jumped up that fast.

I couldn't disagree more with the "seems nice enough" view of that neighborhood. Perhaps coincidentally, I know someone who sold a house meeting that description in that neighborhood about that time. The neighborhood was their main reason for wanting to leave.

There is a boom in housing on Belen's westside, and to a lesser extent Los Lunas. Recommend you plan on taking advantage of the Rail Runner if you have to have a house.

Might I suggest you consider renting at first? $150k doesn't go very far anymore, but $1000/mo. (your estimated mortgage payment) can still rent some very nice houses, and best off, you aren't financially committed to stay in them if your job situation changes. You also won't take a bath if the housing market crashes.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:32 PM

32 posts, read 145,783 times
Rio Rancho sounds like a good place. How's the public transit there versus Albuquerque? thanx

Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,160,235 times
Zoidberg advised:

> Might I suggest you consider renting at first? $150k doesn't
> go very far anymore, but $1000/mo. (your estimated mortgage
> payment) can still rent some very nice houses, and best off,

I was reading through this old thread and wondered why no one
made such a wise and simple suggestion.

> you aren't financially committed to stay in them if your job
> situation changes.

According to the original post,

To move to an area where you are totally unfamiliar and uninformed
and then plunk down committed money on property is, ... well ...
dumb.

The idea that rent is throwing away money is not always true.
It's easy to lose money on real estate and your losses can be
effectively open-ended.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,160,235 times
where oh where asked:

> Rio Rancho ... How's the public transit there versus Albuquerque?

ABQ RIDE - Public Transportation - City of Albuquerque

Rio Rancho -- minimal coverage, so pick your living
locations carefully.

Albuquerque -- decent coverage, but many routes on the
map are only lightly served.

Again, find out how well your place of employment is
served before finding a place to live. The only 'safe'
thing to do if you are dependent on the bus is to live
near Central Avenue.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:35 PM

371 posts, read 2,039,930 times
Put an offer in on a house today in Edgewood on 2 acres. Very nice view of the mountains and good distance from the neighbors, but close enough if needed. I think we will be very happy there and the house was affordable. Will have to pinch some pennies, but I think it will be fine.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:40 PM

416 posts, read 1,405,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
Put an offer in on a house today in Edgewood on 2 acres. Very nice view of the mountains and good distance from the neighbors, but close enough if needed. I think we will be very happy there and the house was affordable. Will have to pinch some pennies, but I think it will be fine.
Congrats! I hope it works out for you! Keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque