Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 AM

63 posts, read 274,365 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I recently graduated from college in New York, which I have grown tired of. I'm working in NYC right now and I simply can't stand the commute or the pace.

In about 6 months I'm looking to relocate, and I've been reading a bit about ABQ.

Three of my main criteria for my new locale are:

1. Nice, warm weather
2. Low cost of living
3. A decent amount of people my age or close to it (I'm 22)

Anyway, would you recommend relocating to ABQ for someone in my situation?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 12:00 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass4 View Post

1. Nice, warm weather
2. Low cost of living

1. Define 'nice, warm weather'. While we certainly have a milder climate than NYC, It is not 4 seasons of summer, if that is what you are looking for. Think Virginia without the humidity.

2. Compared to the city, definitely. Certain foods seem to be more expensive but rent/mortgage and eating out, etc. are cheaper. Gas is cheaper but you may be using a lot of it if you have to commute. There is no driving to Jersey option for cheaper gas.

3. There is a huge university in Albuquerque.

I would reccomend visiting for a week or so before you commit to living here. Most people from out-of-state love it, but some don't and there is very little middle ground.

ABQConvict

Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,722,073 times
ABQConvict's response to this is dead-on.

I always compare ABQ's climate to an Atlanta...but without the humidity. Virginia would work too...again, without the humidity; that allows for bigger overnight drops in low temps (summers and winters) due to the clear skies (no clouds / humidities to trap in the daytime heat). Also, of course, a much sunnier, relatively rain-free climate than the Southeast. But yes there will be a winter of sorts where you'll see snow a few times a year. It isn't Denver / NYC, but it isn't Phoenix either - of course that means pleasant outdoor conditions nearly year-round unlike the blistering heat of a Phoenix for 1/2 the year.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,325,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass4 View Post
Hey all,

I recently graduated from college in New York, which I have grown tired of. I'm working in NYC right now and I simply can't stand the commute or the pace.

In about 6 months I'm looking to relocate, and I've been reading a bit about ABQ.

1. Nice, warm weather
2. Low cost of living

Anyway, would you recommend relocating to ABQ for someone in my situation?

Thanks.
Grass4, when I read your post here, I see you as a warning sign of a situation I don't want to be a year from now. I'm your same age, but I'm in a master's program now so won't be entering the workforce until about 10-14 months (depends when the job starts... a lot of the firms in my future profession start new grads all at once). The time to figure out that you don't like the city you're living in and want to move isn't after you've already accepted the job and started working. I've heard it looks better on your resume if you stick with your first employer out of college for at least a few years before moving on. That's why I'm going to be **** sure I at least know I'll be okay living in whatever city I choose before I take the job. Fortunately there's always Plan B. City-data is a great place to explore the possibilities.

When you're coming from New York, pretty much ANY city will have low cost of living. Pretty much any city at or south of I-40 (roughly) will have winters that are warm enough without getting super ridiculous amounts of snow. Pretty much any growing city with jobs where people are moving to rather than moving out of will have people in their 20s. That still leaves you with potentially dozens of cities to choose from... need more criteria to narrow down the choices. Where are you from? Have you lived in New York City your whole life? Or was that upstate?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:35 PM

63 posts, read 274,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Grass4, when I read your post here, I see you as a warning sign of a situation I don't want to be a year from now. I'm your same age, but I'm in a master's program now so won't be entering the workforce until about 10-14 months (depends when the job starts... a lot of the firms in my future profession start new grads all at once). The time to figure out that you don't like the city you're living in and want to move isn't after you've already accepted the job and started working. I've heard it looks better on your resume if you stick with your first employer out of college for at least a few years before moving on. That's why I'm going to be **** sure I at least know I'll be okay living in whatever city I choose before I take the job. Fortunately there's always Plan B. City-data is a great place to explore the possibilities.

When you're coming from New York, pretty much ANY city will have low cost of living. Pretty much any city at or south of I-40 (roughly) will have winters that are warm enough without getting super ridiculous amounts of snow. Pretty much any growing city with jobs where people are moving to rather than moving out of will have people in their 20s. That still leaves you with potentially dozens of cities to choose from... need more criteria to narrow down the choices. Where are you from? Have you lived in New York City your whole life? Or was that upstate?
I live on Long Island, but commute to the city every day.

Jobs wouldn't be a big deal, since I plan to work from home as a freelancer. I would be working with clients from all over the country, so the local job market doesn't have TOO much sway over my choice.

I plan to stay here for a bit so that I do have more than 3 weeks on my resume, just in case my business doesn't take off...but I'm so dedicated to the idea of being my own boss that I don't think I'll let that happen

Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 AM

204 posts, read 1,485,674 times
You either love albuquerque, or you hate it. You should visit.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:01 AM

32 posts, read 92,391 times
What about Raleigh, NC. Its really great here, 3 major colleges in the metro area, reasonable weather (though humid), lots of people from up north and all over, its growing comfortably, its a metro area of a million but Raleigh is 350,000. Its got a pretty good mix of people, not too southern but not Atlanta either. this is the "new south".

I have visited Alb, and like it, but it is still wrestling with crime issues, drunk driving issues, and too many gangs. It will get better in the future, but its still iffy in some ways.

<Mod cut: Use DM function, not email address in public posts>

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 07-24-2008 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Use DM function, not email address in public posts

Old 07-23-2008, 12:13 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,993,360 times
Back to the Topic..,

Albuquerque is great for a college student grad!
Belive me!!
For me it was, and it will be that way for you too!
ABQ's economy, people, and culture are the best!

Old 07-23-2008, 05:43 PM

9 posts, read 55,558 times
Do you like the night-life in New York? You might find Albuquerque a bit quiet. While it's definitely much more happening than it was 5 years ago, generally the city is pretty quiet.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:25 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,966,033 times
Albuquerque is a fine city and you'll see many of us recommending it to others on these threads. It could possibly satisfy your criteria depending on what you consider a warm climate. I'm from NYC myself and, although it can get cold here, it's still very sunny and much more tolerable than NY.

But, yes, besides reading all about it, you owe it to yourself to come and visit and get first hand impressions. Then you'll know, believe me, you'll know, one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque