Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:31 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,837 times

Advertisements

How good or bad is ABQ International Sunport, especially for incoming / departing International Flights? How about the overall services?

Thanks,

jOE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:28 PM

429 posts, read 1,478,447 times
We just flew into/out of there this past week from/to Seattle, WA. It seemed great too us. Smaller than we are used to but after flying into DFW & SEA - that is NOT a bad thing.

Baggage was already out by the time we got to the claim area - yea!
Handy rental car transportation.
Clean... easy to get around. Great landscaping. And did I mention small? Easy to get OUT of & get back to for the return trip.

I have seen posts where people have complained that you can't get direct flights out of ABQ to anywhere. And that tickets are more expensive... can't speak to that.

Overall our experience was positive.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:35 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,191,399 times
Albuquerque International Airport only has one international flight: Frontier to/from Puerto Vallarta MX. And for decades we didn't even have that.

So unless you're going there, you're probably going to have to bounce through DEN, PHX, DFW, IAH, or ATL on your way to international destinations.

I'm biased because I'm from here, but I like our airport best of all airports. It's well laid out, the security screens are a breeze compared to most, and it's far less walking than it could be. It has a very distinctive character and it is clean, without any need for a people mover or train system.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:56 PM

101 posts, read 298,034 times
I agree about the ABQ airport. I was there in December and was impressed by how clean it was. Just the right size too. The rental cars were close, everyone was helpful and friendly. Frontier lost my bag(not helpful nor very friendly) but I got it late the next day. A minor gliche. When I got back to Seattle, the first thing I noticed was the smell of cigarette smoke and how grey everything is. Soggy, did you notice the greyness when you got to Seatac?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM

Enjoyed the replies, very encouraging information, thank you all very much.

jOE

Old 05-25-2008, 12:39 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,920,216 times
The Albuquerque International Sunport is very easy. You get a decent selection of non-stops from most of the airlines (for a full list go to Albuquerque International Sunport - City of Albuquerque). Albuquerque is losing its only International flight unfortunately, but is supposed to be gaining Aerolitoral (Aeromexico Express) service to Chihuahua. ABQ is actually much larger than similar sized cities (ie. El Paso, Tucson, OKC, etc.) ABQ gets nearly 7 Million passengers a year, and has a decent array of flights throughout the day. It is a beautiful property, and usually a joy to fly out of (little bad weather, extremely long runways, simple terminal design, large and updated security screening area, and an entrance into a city who is proud of who they are, for the most part).

Old 05-25-2008, 12:44 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,920,216 times
wikipedia actually stays up to date on the gates and which Airline flies where, so it might be a good thing to check out:

Albuquerque International Sunport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2008, 02:42 AM

Default International Sunport (abqsunport)

abqsunport,

Like always your posts/replies are great. I had already check the first site, the Albuquerque International Sunport - City of Albuquerque, it was good but wanted to hear from... people just like you. THANKS! Your second post with the Wikipedia site was excellent, again thanks.

jOE

Old 05-25-2008, 10:17 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,966,033 times
I've read somewhere that ABQ Sunport has one of the best ontime records of any US airport---fewest delays in takeoffs and late arrivals. Lately my experience has been a little bit more negative with delays, but I think it's more related to the falling off in national airlines performance across the boards.

It's a great little airport but it's true you usually have to connect through somewhere else more often. I fly to NYC often and most always have to connect and face delays...

Old 05-25-2008, 05:14 PM

Default International Sunport (abqsunport)

ABQSunseeker,

Thanks! Based on other research it seems you are right on. Gotta say that I sure do like the way almost all on the forum are positive and have a lot of State PRIDE. We figure we will fly in via LAX and then on to ABQ Sunport, that should be doable.

Will continue to follow your posts.

joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque