Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 13,378 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be travelling to Albuquerque later this month with a large party. We were scheduled to stay in the Marriott uptown, however there was a big error on our booking and we found ourselves not booked in & potentially homeless. We have been very lucky now to secure accomodation in the Hilton Garden Inn, Uptown. I understand that this is a brand new hotel, therefore it has been very difficult to find any reviews, pictures ect. on the web. Can anybody please offer a review, photos or just general info? Any offering would be appreciated. How does it compare to the Marriott and is it suitable for a party which contains 20 teenagers? Is it central to attractions, malls, ect. Is their facility to sunbath?
Many thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:52 AM

710 posts, read 2,961,565 times
I haven't been there but it is brand spanking new, and it is a great location. It is right next door to where you were originally going to stay so you'll have all the same amenities within walking distance. You have ABQ Uptown and Coronado Center within walking distance as well as several dining options. This is a great location to be with children and it is within a 10-15 minute drive to Downtown, Nob Hill, Old Town, and many other sites around ABQ.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 AM

710 posts, read 2,961,565 times
I'm not sure if they have a pool or even one that big, maybe you can gain access to the one at Marriott since they messed up on your original reservation?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,559 times
I have not stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in A however I just returned from three weeks of stay at their hotel in Maryland. I stay in all these hotels of this general price range all the time so I have points of comparison. This was a huge, pleasant surprise. First off the rooms, though not suites, are larger. I had the same housekeeper and she came every day even though I told her it was not necessary. They have fantastic beds with that sleep number thing. Mostly, they had, with few exceptions, a staff that was very helpful and pleasant. And, their price was very competitive. I would say this probably will work out for you. Whoever is in your party should be fine. And, really its hard to go wrong when a property is brand new as it is usually clean.

I stayed not too long ago at the Staybridge Inn off Alameda in A. It wasn't bad as it is also new. However, the area is not conducive to tourists as its in an industrial kind of area.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:33 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
I actually saw the hotel the other day when I passed through uptown on my way out of Albuquerque. It looks like a brand new, nice hotel. I don't think you could go wrong there.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:42 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,952 times
The Hotel is really well located and convenient to many sights. If you are at all sensitive to noise or allergic to views of freeways, then book the side of hotel that doesn't face the freeway. The southern side of the hotel is smack dab next to I40.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:29 AM

5 posts, read 13,378 times
Thank you all for your input, by all accounts it seems like a really nice place to stay. We very much look forward to our trip now.
Regards.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 AM

811 posts, read 2,940,282 times
Here's a link to the Hilton Uptown.

Hilton Garden Inn Albuquerque Uptown New Mexico hotel - Albuquerque NM hotels

Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,099 times
Avoid Coronado Center as a destination for the teens on Friday and somewhat on Saturday night. There's a lot of 'gangster wannabees' sporting the athletic tops and trousers so low their boxers are hanging out. They hang behind the teenage girls in groups of two to four and make comments or try to 'get' with them. They'll hang behind teenage guys and make comments and laugh. If the guys turn to look, or worse yet, confront, the jokers will get in their face. Some like to wear hoodies and spend the evening stealing from the kiosks and undermanned shops like the music/accessory shops. Mall security used to have an older guy that would actually ask them to leave, but now all they do is sheepishly tell them to turn their shirts inside out, which they will turn right side out again just after security has turned their back.
There's an APD substation, but it's just a small office space and you rarely see an officer in there. I've seen people just grab something and run out the main entrance on the south side (near the substation and right in front of security) to a waiting SUV, packed full of friends with a door open for the thug. It gives you some idea of how imposing the APD substation's presence is to these guys.

Don't get me wrong, I love Albuquerque. I'm just saying as a parent and a local, that just because it's a mall, doesn't make it a monitored playground. I've watched too many mom's dropping off a load of young teenagers for what they obviously thought would be a safe night of shopping and hanging out, only to watch those girls hounded all night by 18 to 22 year old thugs.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,341 times
Interesting Zia, because I have never noticed this activity going on. I think that if a group of teenagers went into the mall together they would be plenty fine. I think perhaps you are making the mall seem like a warzone for which it is most definitely not. Coronado mall is pretty safe, and it is quite doubtful that anybody would get into any serious problems or confrontations. I would say so long as a parent accompanies these kids, they should all be fine--even though it probably isn't too necessary. However, Zia, I do completely agree with you about the shoplifting. It is so very sad what these gang bangers do for fun on a friday night. Oh well...

You are a great poster Zia and definitely a concerned parent. It is always much appreciated on these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque