Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,628 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to NM in June (I have just accepted a job offer). My honey and I have 2 kiddies (elementary school-aged) and will be moving West for the first time.
I would like to know as much as I can about:
1) Family friendly neighborhoods (looking to rent a home)
2) Public schools vs private schools in the area
3) Any info on reputable moving companies that others have worked with
4) Day trips for our family once we get established
5) Are there lots of critters to worry about? (scorpions, snakes, spiders,etc...)
6) How much does it cost to transfer tags/titles?
7) Anyone have any opinions about working at PHS?
8) Any other info a new resident would find handy would be nice!

Thanks! I appreciate all your info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:51 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,309,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimrn View Post
I will be relocating to NM in June (I have just accepted a job offer). My honey and I have 2 kiddies (elementary school-aged) and will be moving West for the first time.
I would like to know as much as I can about:
1) Family friendly neighborhoods (looking to rent a home)
2) Public schools vs private schools in the area
3) Any info on reputable moving companies that others have worked with
4) Day trips for our family once we get established
5) Are there lots of critters to worry about? (scorpions, snakes, spiders,etc...)
6) How much does it cost to transfer tags/titles?
7) Anyone have any opinions about working at PHS?
8) Any other info a new resident would find handy would be nice!

Thanks! I appreciate all your info!

Welcome to NM. Congrats on the job. I have answered a few of your questions via the search function. Plenty more info can be found via the search.
Good luck.

1. https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...-home-abq.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...hborhoods.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...t-schools.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...t-schools.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...-trip-abq.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...mals-look.html

Old 04-13-2008, 09:58 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,935,554 times
hmm, as _yb said, if you just browse this forum a little bit, you will see that most of information has been answered each in great detail.

Anyway, best of luck in your move! Be aware, you aren't going to be used to the lack of green. Keep in mind we are desert, and it comes with a lot of benifits. We have next to no humidy; which means no mosquitos, practically no rust on vehicles, breathtaking sunsets, et al.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:24 PM

908 posts, read 2,863,354 times
Congrats on the new Job, welcome. Is PHS Presbyterian? Just want to be clear so we can get you the right info.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:13 AM

1,568 posts, read 4,446,665 times
I moved here 5 years ago and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get a driver's license, establish a bank account (First Community Bank) and find a doctor (Presbyterian and, later, Lovelace).

The folks here are friendly and helpful.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:26 AM

Thank you all so much for your prompt responses. I am so new to this forum stuff and I appreciate all your help.
-yb: I will look at all the searches you posted and get as much as I can from them. Thanks!

abpsunport: I can't wait to get away from the humidity and mosquitoes and my husband is so excited about getting rid of the lawnmower! I think we are both fantasizing about sitting on a porch, drinking some cold beer, and watching the sunsets...ahh...can't wait!

ziaAirmac: You are correct. I am speaking of Presbyterian.

nmguy: Thanks for the encouragement!

Again, I appreciate all of your help! We are sooo excited about this! Now, if I could only get my kids to understand that we are moving to New Mexico (the state) and not a foreign country! lol

Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimrn View Post
I think we are both fantasizing about sitting on a porch, drinking some cold beer, and watching the sunsets...ahh...can't wait!
Well, you've come to the right town!

Check out the Albuquerque metro photo thread for some hints of what's to come.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 PM

38 posts, read 73,607 times
Default Me too Me too.....

I am a bit older, age 56, and I am seriously thinking about moving to Albuquerque this summer with my two adult kids and my grandson. We currently live in Salem, OR where we've lived for 3 years. Salem is a pretty town but the weather is terrible, there is nothing to do and while the people are nice, they are not friendly.

I have looked at the pictures posted in this forum and Albuquerque looks absolutely beautiful. I too am looking for as much info as I can get because no one knows a city better than the people who live in it. Any help you can give me about where to locate nice but affordable housing, universities, activities, crime, etc. would be greatly appreciated. This is a great forum because there is so much info available. But, I made such a huge mistake when I moved to Salem, that I am being extra careful this time.

I would sincerely appreciate any and all info you can provide.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the great link! You are too kind. I LOVED the photos and all the great information.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:27 AM

trishp, _yb's post at the top of this thread is a great start with links to some very informative threads. We're best at going after fairly direct questions, so I suggest you and yours sift through those threads, take some notes and hit us up with whatever strikes you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque