Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:33 PM

4 posts, read 12,665 times

Advertisements

I was just curious if anyone had any advice on where in the city would be a good place for me. I'm a 24 year old single white female looking to rent a house in the area. My job is in zip code 87121 but I'm not really sure about the area. I have a trip planned next month to scope out the area and find a place but I'd love a little guidance. Please help!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:14 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,625,239 times
Is your office on the east or west side of the river?

Old 02-19-2008, 08:35 AM

286 posts, read 1,323,169 times
Hi,
Zip code 87121 encompasses pretty much the entire west side of Albuquerque, from the border with Rio Rancho at the north, all the way into the SW Heights. There are many communities on that side - a lot of residential communities, plus apartment complexes, townhouses, etc. The North Valley is nice, especially close to Los Ranchos. Taylor Ranch or Ladera Heights is also nice, if you want to be closer to the Petroglyths and access to I-40. It really depends on where you are working and what you're looking for in a neighborhood.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:58 AM

741 posts, read 2,924,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Mom View Post
Zip code 87121 encompasses pretty much the entire west side of Albuquerque, from the border with Rio Rancho at the north, all the way into the SW Heights.
This is incorrect. Zip code 87121 is bordered by I-40 to the north and roughly Coors Road to the east. This area contains the SW Heights, Westgate, and the "South Valley". These are, generally speaking, some of the least desirable places to live in the metro area.

The two ABQ west side zip codes to the north are 87120 and 87114. As a newcomer, I would recommend that you focus any home search north of Montaño (on the west side of the river). You should have no trouble finding homes to rent in this area, as it was overbuilt for the better part of the last decade.

Chap

Old 02-19-2008, 03:31 PM

16 posts, read 36,182 times
If you are going to make north of $40K, I recommend something north of Montano on the west side. If you are south of $40K, I would look for a place in Ladera, just south of Montano and west of Coors.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:43 PM

the neighborhood im looking in is called Arrowwood. I wont be making too much to start, but i am living by myself....

Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 PM

After a little research... Arrowwood by Longford = SW Heights/Westgate.
This area of town has traditionally attracted all the wrong elements, and has a history of crime/violence, particularly gang/drug related.

I find it hard to emphasize how strongly I would recommend a young SWF relocating to an unfamiliar city NOT move to this area. Especially if you'll be living alone. Please do yourself a favor and investigate other options at least north of I-40, if not north of Montaño.

Chap

Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
After a little research... Arrowwood by Longford = SW Heights/Westgate.
This area of town has traditionally attracted all the wrong elements, and has a history of crime/violence, particularly gang/drug related.

I find it hard to emphasize how strongly I would recommend a young SWF relocating to an unfamiliar city NOT move to this area. Especially if you'll be living alone. Please do yourself a favor and investigate other options at least north of I-40, if not north of Montaño.

Chap
Thank you thank you thank you. i was actually in contact with the landlord over deposits and such....you saved me from making a big mistake.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 PM

is Ventana Ranch a better place to be? on the map it seems to be in the area you're talking about.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg83101 View Post
is Ventana Ranch a better place to be? on the map it seems to be in the area you're talking about.
Aside from the somewhat longer commute, infinitely better.

Also, I believe you can find quite a few rental properties in the general area around McMahon Blvd. and Unser Blvd.

Chap

p.s. Glad to be of help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque