Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:04 PM

4 posts, read 9,416 times

Advertisements

Miss Tilly Marigold thank you so much for the information about the services for children who have autism. My son is my top priority and if we leave Ohio I have to know that he can still get help. And the information about the school systems- Thank you! ¡Gracias! Gratias ago! Merci! and Grazie! I've taught since 1996 and stopped teaching in 2010 after the birth of my son- I've tried to teach again in 2012 and 2013 but had to stop because of my son's condition. Once he is "on his way" I really look forward to teaching again-I prefer to work in school settings that are challenging...and I am so pleased to hear that there is a solid retirement plan in place in New Mexico-this really makes me want to head to New Mexico today and start teaching right away! Lol Lastly, thanks for giving me the 411 on the Arts. The last school I taught at specialized in The Fine Arts-we were not allowed to teach lessons unless the lesson was formed around art, dance or music. The owner of the school called this concept "Art Fusion".
There is a chart that I look at monthly to see what my son and I would be doing right now if we were in New Mexico. Like this was the last month for the Confluencias II:Inside Arte Cubano Contemporáneo, I missed the Italian Film Festival in February (I studied film in Spain and at Case Western Reserve University) and I missed the 22nd Rio Grande Arts & Crafts Festival Spring Show. Now the arts are alive and kicking in Cleveland- BUT the violence is an ever growing monster that is spinning out of control.

Thanks again for all of the info. and I am going to follow up on all of the information-thank you and God bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 11:20 PM

4 posts, read 9,416 times
Wow Mr. Texan #1 this information is incredible! Housing is a huge issue. I thank you so much for your information about this issue. When I first played around with the idea about leaving for New Mexico my son was only 1 year old and our finances were better. I wanted a townhome in an area called the Picacho Mountains. Naturally, life came at me way too fast-being a new first time mom and threw me more lemons than glasses of lemonade! So at this point I am persons renting out small homes in New Mexico.

My son is getting older and I want him to have more space but not so much space that there are floors or rooms that we are not using-this happened not to long ago (frown). I lived until 18 in very urban areas so I love living in the country and around alot of open land and farms-like where we live now. I like country life-it is peaceful and gives me time to think...but I've been out here since 2006 and I am ready for a change. Thanks so much for your post and I am going to re-focus on housing a little more.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,612 times
Downtown is pretty hipster-y, definitely not conservative. Albuquerque as a whole is pretty live and let live when it comes to politics.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:37 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,062,159 times
I live in Old Town which abuts Downtown. My neighborhood is part of the Downtown Neighborhood Association. In my general area there is a mixture of both Conservative and Liberals, though I would say as a whole it leans more to the liberal side. In Albuquerque, generally people don't care what your politics are. Very live and let live city. I don't understand why anyone cares or would specifically look for an area where everyone is just like them. As for bi-racial kids, no, they will not have any problems.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 AM

53 posts, read 125,697 times
Thank you NMHacker, well said! I could give a blank what people's political views are.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:35 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
NM Hacker agreed a mix is good rather than all one or the other.That includes politics, religion, race. My daughter in law who is 1/2 Asian feels very comfortable in Abq. because of its diversity. What streets would be considered the boundaries for Old Town neighboorhood?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,062,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
What streets would be considered the boundaries for Old Town neighboorhood?
From what I have seen it is;

Rio Grande to the West
15th St to the East
Lomas to the South
Mountain to the North

It is weird though, DTNA boundry are below which include some of the above.

19th St to the West
6th St to the East
Mountain to the North
Central to the South

There is not an Old Town Neighborhood Association. There is a West Old Town Neighborhood Association. It starts from Rio Grande going west.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:41 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
OP, what Dallas suburb are you moving from?

Old 08-08-2014, 11:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
If you are satisfied with the political scene in Dallas you should be fine in NM, specially Albuquerque. Downtown (old town) isn't that far from the university and most university neighborhoods lean liberal. Your biggest issue might be your wife being Asian. No, I don't mean that in a negative way, just remember ALQ is very much Hispanic, in culture as well as actual nationality. If this doesn't bother her, it certainly shouldn't bother anyone else.

Nita

Old 08-08-2014, 12:58 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,833 times
I lean to the left and Albuquerque is pretty "moderate" to me. If you like that, it is totally fine. But if you want something a lot more liberal, Santa Fe is more homogenous and favors the democrats and other left-leaning groups. That being said, i'd imagine it is still more liberal than Dallas based on my limited experiences there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque