Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 8,714 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Abuquerque area. I have 2 kids one in high school and one in middle school. I wanted to know which schools are really the best. I have done tons of research and would like to hear from people who know first hand. Private school is not something I want to do, but I will consider it if it is the best option. We would just tighten our belts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 12:46 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,667,137 times
Just use a website like zillow / trulia etc. to scout out homes or areas you like. When you find one you like click on schools and you can see the schools assigned to the home/area and what the school rankings are. The rankings has first hand reviews/ratings from students and parents.

I've found the best schools to be in the NE heights and the NW area but there are good one's scattered throughout, just as there are bad ones scattered throughout.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:09 PM

163 posts, read 309,177 times
You might want to check out the charter schools in the ABQ area. My own kids attend charter schools. For us they are a really good choice.

Charter School Tools - Charter Schools

Old 03-13-2014, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the link for charter schools, I will look at them. We are coming from DoDEA schools overseas, we have been overseas for quite a while. My kids are used to small classes (a graduating class might be 40 kids). There are usually 200 or less kids in the school 9-12 - everyone knows everyone and everyone is friends. Everyone also makes the team, it is so small usually they are begging kids to play sports to have enough for a team. I am just afraid to just drop them in any old school when we get back, and I really can't afford to make a mistake with schools with my high school student. He does not have time for a slump, due to the change. They are not used to bullying, drugs, gangs, or any of the horrible things I went to school with. So I want to pick a more tame school to drop them in, the smaller the better. (which is why I would consider private). We are coming back to the states soon, and right now ABQ is on the list and one of the places we were going to put on our dream sheet.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 52,011,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwess View Post
We are considering moving to the Abuquerque area. I have 2 kids one in high school and one in middle school. I wanted to know which schools are really the best. I have done tons of research and would like to hear from people who know first hand.
First hand? I have grandchildren who have attended K through 12th grade in Rio Rancho.

You might Read:
2013 Best High Schools rankings: Best High Schools - US News
Top New Mexico High Schools | Best High Schools | US News

Look at the ratings at this site: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Our two kids attended DoD schools while we were overseas...

-----
You might read this post which has a list of threads:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...l-threads.html
-----

Rich

Old 03-13-2014, 02:05 PM

That is a great list, thanks! I do not know if my husband would like the commute to the base from Rio Rancho (the website suggested it would take about 45-50 minutes). I think he would like to be closer to the base.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 52,011,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwess View Post
That is a great list, thanks! I do not know if my husband would like the commute to the base from Rio Rancho (the website suggested it would take about 45-50 minutes). I think he would like to be closer to the base.
You never mentioned "base"... But my wife drove to Kirtland Air Force Base from Rio Rancho for over 10 years (It beat her commute to the Washington D.C. area), and have had others who worked on base from RR in the past...

Old 03-14-2014, 10:58 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,409,913 times
Best high school: LaCueva High
Best middle schools: Dennis Chavez, Double Eagle - both feed into LaCueva although I would check the boundaries to make sure.

You would have to live in the far NE corner of the city and housing is expensive. You might be able to find some apartments in the area. For the best private schools, you have to test in and it is very competitive and takes time. My next door neighborhood moved here from New England and their son went to a public high school for a year and then tested into Sandia Prep High School - pricey.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:02 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,409,913 times
Too late to delete my post and it has errors. The middle schools that feed into La Cueva are Desert Ridge and Eisenhower. The ones I listed were elementary schools. Also reading your posts more thoroughly, you might be interested in smaller charter schools as another poster recommended.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:20 AM

Just another thought if my husband gets this job. We may be required to live on the base. I am fine with living on a base, but how are those schools? The report from great schools is not the best report for either one, but some of the posts were from a few years ago. I want to say one of the posts was from someone that went to this high school in 1967 and said it was wonderful back then, but I want to know what it is like today. Highland is the high school, and Van buren is the middle school. (from the information I saw on the internet those are the schools that the base kids go to).

How rough are these schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque