Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 05:22 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,643,732 times

Advertisements

I thought I was the only one who liked the rainbow graffiti on top of the Anasazi.

Whoever finishes the project should consider painting a mural on the exposed sides of the building. Something with a cool Southwestern Indian motif seems the obvious choice given the name of the building.

Also, the City hasn't taken the building over, it simply tried to make it more secure until someone comes along to finish it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 PM

195 posts, read 473,254 times
what's the point of a skyscraper? if you want heights, just go to the sandia peak. beautiful view. skyscrapers is for flat cities like LA, NYC, Chicago where you can't go to a high point unless it's in a building.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:48 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,231,157 times
Mountains and skyscrapers are very different things.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:54 PM

132 posts, read 292,139 times
Some cities do skyscrapers and mountains quite well. Seattle, Vancouver,Denver, and Portland come to mind with amazing views of both. Our expansive views would barely be breached by a few more highrises in the city

Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 AM

908 posts, read 2,859,695 times
Default Albuquerque's next high rise.

I'm not that excited about MORE people per acre in the middle of the Rio Grande Valley. Because of Albuquerque's layout, a bunch of those people would be driving alone in their Escalades and Navigators to work and Albuquerque's downtown street infrastructure certainly doesn't need MORE pressure.

I could vote for something like that if it included some of the following:

It's own parking.

a range of residential sections (Not just the high end lofts) to allow at least some of the folks working there, or downtown direct access (negating some of the automobile pressure.).

A fairly serious grocer on the lower level, allowing all of downtown easy access. A great grocer is one of the things holding back downtown's 'livable' status.

An over-all design that shot for energy and material efficiencies (if I'm going to subsidize it, I'd like it to be an example of our leadership in something.).

A destination-worthy upper observation deck with a kind-of Flying Star feel (eats and wifi).

A project that could absorb some of the existing 'transition zone' tenants, speeding along the transition and minimizing the total impact of 'new to downtown' transplants.

A hang glider launch pad. We were a world center for this sport at one time, why not bring it back? We could host the 'Albuquerque Air Regatta' Where participant's launched from 'Sun Tower', attempted to reach the Tricentennial tower and land in the parking lot of the Hotel Albuquerque. Or maybe Tiguex Park or the Albuquerque Country Club would be better landing sites.

A bio-dome at the very top stocked with flora and fauna: sloths; orangutans; small, brightly colored flightless birds, etc...

OK, maybe not the last two, but you get the idea.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,971,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
A hang glider launch pad. We were a world center for this sport at one time,
1. Yea, just when were we a world center for this sport?

2. Show me where anywhere in the world hang gliders are routinely launched from skyscrapers as a sport (not as a gimmick).

3. You have several possible legal implications. Who will insure you?

Quote:
Federal Aviation Regulations, PART 103--ULTRALIGHT VEHICLES, Sec. 103.15 Operations over congested areas.

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a
city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.
4. I guess you have never lugged a hang glider around.

Rich

Old 06-22-2011, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 19,655 times
Another anti development person. Seriously if you don't want albuquerque to develope then move to belen just 30 mins south of albuquerque that place won't develope

Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 PM

26 posts, read 43,191 times
Skyscrapers are great. UNLESS you are on the opposite side from the magnificent, panoramic view of the Sandias and it is ruined by the said skyscrapers.
We could probably do with some a little taller than what we have, but in some of the cities I have been to-Dallas, NYC, Chicago - there are places where there is no sun unless it is Right overhead. It is dull, and a little depressing.
Albuquerque can be better.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,971,071 times
Folks, the title of this thread is "Skyscrapers in Albuquerque, NM with the original poster posting the following in 2007:
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
How do yall feel about skyscrapers in downtown Albq. Im not talking about sears tower height, but like the average ones in Denver.I think they would look good with the mountains in the back drop.
Some of the conversation has drifted a lot, and is interesting, however lets try to stay on topic. If need be you can always create your own thread on a separate topic if you wish...

Rich

Old 10-24-2011, 02:26 PM

430 posts, read 1,654,947 times
Are they ever going to build the new towers they said they were gonna build?

The Residences at Packard Place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chant Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What ever happened to those??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque